32 replies to this topic

#21 Bobba

Bobba
  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 781 posts
  • Joined 26-August 09

Posted 02 January 2017 - 09:10 AM

............,so like i said what happens if that bird flys say 120/130 yards across a field and then drops into the road

We all run that risk? I once received a piccie on my mobile from the farmer when a shot pigeon dropped in to his yard well away from where I was sitting.
But that is not the point of the discussion which was problems of sitting in a hedge with a road immediately behind that hedge not 100's of yds away.

#22 kyska

kyska
  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5569 posts
  • Joined 09-November 09

Posted 02 January 2017 - 10:45 AM

If a pigeon flies on for a few hundred yards, it is most certainly not dead in the air.

Quite, perforated air sacs

#23 cooooper1

cooooper1
  • Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 186 posts
  • Joined 24-December 12

Posted 02 January 2017 - 11:04 AM

If a pigeon flies on for a few hundred yards, it is most certainly not dead in the air.

so you`ve never hit pigeon/crow and watch that bird fly on for a distance before dropping,  the word FLIES on doesn`t mean it`s flapping it`s wings it`s taken a lung shot or head shot where the birds dead or die in and just floats on the wing before coming to ground,  last summer i shot a pigeon knew i hit him hard and watched him float across a 130 plus yards long field with out flapping his wings one before falling straight into a garden behind me, my point being not all birds drop where shoot

Edited by cooooper1, 02 January 2017 - 11:07 AM.

#24 motty

motty
  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6076 posts
  • Joined 12-July 05

Posted 02 January 2017 - 06:02 PM

If a pigeon is gliding, it isn't dead.

#25 6.5x55SE

6.5x55SE
  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 771 posts
  • Joined 23-April 10

Posted 02 January 2017 - 06:20 PM

If a pigeon is gliding, it isn't dead.

Come on Motty they are talking about the famous " Zombie Pigeon "

#26 wandringstar

wandringstar
  • New Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 144 posts
  • Joined 27-December 16

Posted 02 January 2017 - 07:04 PM

you can shoot a min of 15 yards from a road, in theory you can actually shoot on someones boundary, away from their property, but it wouldn't be worth the hassle. I had a situation a few years ago, when someone approached me and made out they were off duty police telling me that I had to be a minimum of 50 yards from the road, I argued it for a bit, but gave up, as although I was in the right regarding legality, I could see they were agitated so decided to give it a wide berth.

sometimes its best just to get miles away from any possible conflict if you can. :good:

#27 motty

motty
  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6076 posts
  • Joined 12-July 05

Posted 02 January 2017 - 08:19 PM

You can legally shoot next to a road.

#28 shotgun eddy

shotgun eddy
  • Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 331 posts
  • Joined 06-July 15

Posted 03 January 2017 - 08:19 AM

What do u guys think the sensible distance is to shoot facing away from someones house with a hushpiwer 410, all comments welcome

#29 TIGHTCHOKE

TIGHTCHOKE
  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9680 posts
  • Joined 26-February 09

Posted 03 January 2017 - 10:18 AM

you can shoot a min of 15 yards from a road, in theory you can actually shoot on someones boundary, away from their property, but it wouldn't be worth the hassle. I had a situation a few years ago, when someone approached me and made out they were off duty police telling me that I had to be a minimum of 50 yards from the road, I argued it for a bit, but gave up, as although I was in the right regarding legality, I could see they were agitated so decided to give it a wide berth.

sometimes its best just to get miles away from any possible conflict if you can. :good:

Did you ask to see their warrant card?

#30 marsh man

marsh man
  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1955 posts
  • Joined 06-January 14

Posted 03 January 2017 - 02:08 PM

We could argue this thread out till the cows come home , its really down to common sense and avoiding any conflict with anyone who it might annoy or endanger , or are you prepared to risk your S G C because according to the law you are in the right . 

#31 Stonepark

Stonepark
  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 744 posts
  • Joined 20-August 15

Posted 03 January 2017 - 02:47 PM

What do u guys think the sensible distance is to shoot facing away from someones house with a hushpiwer 410, all comments welcome

If they are not in, I would sit outside the boundary if best spot,

if in the house, 50 yards if they are warned, 100 yards if not.

#32 shotgun eddy

shotgun eddy
  • Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 331 posts
  • Joined 06-July 15

Posted 03 January 2017 - 06:36 PM

I go for a 100 yards just in case, like I mentioned I'm using 410 hushpower and there house is sat back a good 20 from the boundary, its the only spot available under a very strong flightline on to some rape, fingers crossed for tommorow, thanks for all comments

#33 ChrisAsh

ChrisAsh
  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 958 posts
  • Joined 20-December 09

Posted 19 January 2017 - 02:09 PM

Just be good neighbours keep a good lookout around you and don't scare people sunday walking along the other side of the fence, cars more likely to crash watching a person with a gun rather than having a bird fall on them

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users