Beware the man with one gun

nnorman32

A more experienced colleague of mine is trading in two shotguns so he can concentrate on using just one.

While I respect his choice and there may be some merit to his idea, I think that he is in the "Beware the man with just one gun, he knows how to use it" side of the argument whereas I am more of the "He who dies with the most toys wins" camp.

Thoughts?

I can see that owning and using just one gun can only improves one's performance, but surely the joy is in having a selection to chose from as each has it's own merits, character, history etc.

Just my personal opinion and preference.

OB

I've always thought about having just one gun but the temptation of buying something you 'fancy' is too strong. Depends on the person. If you see a gun as an out and out tool then that person suits one gun but if your like me and like looking at your guns and thinking 'mmmmmmm which one shall I take with me' then a selection is needed haha. I've got 3 and to some that's naff all but I wouldn't want anymore than that. Also depends on the different types of shooting you do.

Although in essence the 'one gun one man' remains valid, like much of shotgun lore it's somewhat historical in nature. Back when the saying originated, there was very little, if any at all, clay pigeon shooting as we know it today and most Guns were involved in general rough shooting. There was no multi chokes so if you wanted a change you had two choices. One was to buy another one which many could not afford to do and the second was the real smart move which remains valid to this day was to change the cartridge even though, then, the choice was somewhat limited as compared to today. Now with the wide spectrum of shooting activities available, the answer, as in most things, is probably somewhere in the middle of the two extremes mentioned.

I can see both sides of this.

Shooting clays with my Browning O/U = (semi) respectable scores.

Shooting clays with my British Midland SxS = atrocious scores but a huge grin.

I will continue to avoid the temptation of another O/U unless it's ever to replace the Browning for whatever reason.

As said above, the one gun idea comes from a long time ago.

Whilst I could happily shoot everything with a 32" multichoked O/U I would not want to carry it all day around a rough shoot.

Daf, do you take all your golf club guns with you to cover all avenues?

Edited by TIGHTCHOKE

Take him to Wabbitbosher,s ,itl be like making a veggie smell a bacon sarnie ,he wont last 5 minutes in that Alladdin,s cave of need it and Want it .

I couldn't agree more and I'm looking forward to my next visit. I would say that variety is never a bad thing and I'm looking to pick up a nice piece of British history next.

As said above, the one gun idea comes from a long time ago.

Whilst I could happily shoot everything with a 32" multichoked O/U I would not want to carry it all day around a rough shoot.

Daf, do you take all your golf club guns with you to cover all avenues?

When I'm going away to shoot different things yes i.e. Both shotguns or stalking take a rifle.

But I don't take a 308 pheasant shooting or a 12 bore stalking.

Why should you be any different from the rest of us?

I make it a rule to only buy one at a time!

At the moment have all the guns I want, but sold my s/a on the grounds that I did not want to use a s/a again. The cabinet is lost without a s/a and it's so tempting my local place has a new Remington 1100 in stock, though they also have the A400 multi target in as well. Swore I would not buy Beretta **** again and any how both are way above my current budget and Wabbitbosher has some excellent bargins.