Beware the man with one gun

nnorman32

I get the man with one gun and follow it to an extent but then I think a gun safe is like a golf bag, Tiger Woods would use a driver for putting so I've a couple of option but each for a task.

Exactly, well said - would you restrict a cabinet maker to one chisel?

Never had you pegged as a man who enjoys a good walk spoiled...............;-)

A more experienced colleague of mine is trading in two shotguns so he can concentrate on using just one.

While I respect his choice and there may be some merit to his idea, I think that he is in the "Beware the man with just one gun, he knows how to use it" side of the argument whereas I am more of the "He who dies with the most toys wins" camp.

Thoughts?

I hate that phrase, it's complete capitalistic ********.

There are plenty of reasons to own more than one gun, but if you're happy with just the one then there's nothing wrong with that.

25 years ago when i was somewhat younger and a bit competative on the clays i shot everything with one gun, a Remington 1100, 28" barrel, 1/2 choke. It got me into the England DTL team. I won the English open single barrel with 100 straight and 25 straight in a shoot off. I was a regular in our Lincolnshire county teams in DTL, ABT, Sporting, (winner 1993) Skeet, FITASC (winner, I cant remember the year) East midlands all round, (winner twice) North of England ZZ doubles, (winner) Over a number of years I won in excess of 200 local and regional competitions, ALL WITH THE ONE GUN. It never occurred to me that I needed anything else.

I still have an 1187 and it is still my gun of choice. I never once entered a competition feeling I might have the wrong gun/choke/cartridge, it always out performed me and did the business as long as I did mine. I sometimes think we just put too much importance into our guns, chokes ect, and not enough into technique and learning concentration.

I still pick up my Remi and give it a cuddle from time to time and remember. Happy days.

25 years ago when i was somewhat younger and a bit competative on the clays i shot everything with one gun I was a regular in our Lincolnshire county teams in DTL, ABT, Sporting, (winner 1993) Skeet, FITASC (winner, I cant remember the year) East midlands all round, (winner twice) North of England ZZ doubles, (winner) Over a number of years I won in excess of 200 local and regional competitions, ALL WITH THE ONE GUN. It never occurred to me that I needed anything else.

I still pick up my Remi and give it a cuddle from time to time and remember. Happy days.

Ahhhh ...... The generation of Humphreys, Dereck Olivant, Mick Gent, and Norman Smith ..... you did well to come out on top against some of those on their day !!

25 years ago when i was somewhat younger and a bit competative on the clays i shot everything with one gun, a Remington 1100, 28" barrel, 1/2 choke. It got me into the England DTL team. I won the English open single barrel with 100 straight and 25 straight in a shoot off. I was a regular in our Lincolnshire county teams in DTL, ABT, Sporting, (winner 1993) Skeet, FITASC (winner, I cant remember the year) East midlands all round, (winner twice) North of England ZZ doubles, (winner) Over a number of years I won in excess of 200 local and regional competitions, ALL WITH THE ONE GUN. It never occurred to me that I needed anything else.

I still have an 1187 and it is still my gun of choice. I never once entered a competition feeling I might have the wrong gun/choke/cartridge, it always out performed me and did the business as long as I did mine. I sometimes think we just put too much importance into our guns, chokes ect, and not enough into technique and learning concentration.

Ah, yes. I too used a Remmy 1100 Trap. You could use one back then, without the rest of the squad whining about auto's ! :no:

I have many guns but 99 times out of 100 I take the same gun (shotgun) rifles different story. I am now thinking of releasing some cash by selling 4 or 5 shotguns and getting a custom fitted good grade stock to the gun I use most.

Good idea and good luck with it. Because of age and the fact that I'm slowing down I'm trying to do roughly the same but it's not easy. My last acquisition is now with the 'smith being restored and when done it'll be on his 'for sale' rack. I've sold the self loader already, but refuse point blank to dispose of the XXV. But then, I order another gun. However, I'm hoping this will handle my favourite cartridges without too much recoil and if so, I can give the one I use at the moment to my step-son who has expressed a wish to have a go at some stock finishing and this is a prime candidate. All being well, I'll end up with two, one for the walk about game and the other for pigeon/rook.

However, just as you think you've got it sorted, something you can't resist crops up. My wife and said step-son are up to something which may or may not be possible. Should it be, I'll welcome it in my cabinet in a flash but for the first time in my life I will not be too disappointed if it's not.