Sporting Scores

Wanderer78

I'm not going to beat around the bush with this I started shooting again in July and go once a week and shoot 50 sporting.

Here is my best, worst and average for 2016 just wondered how I compare with the pigeonwatch masses as I plan to look back on this throughout next year to see if I'm making any improvement or not.

Worst 27/50 54%

Best 46/50 92%

Average 36/50 72% (1059/1450 73%)

As Will and Dave suggest, you can't really compare your practice averages to how others may be shooting as there are so many differences to consider.

If you shoot registered comp's then you will get an average from that which may give you a better idea, but even then it is still all rather subjective and always a source of much discussion amongst competitive clay shooters.

More important is how your average is relative to your own progression over time, if you can see steady improvement upwards then you are doing something right. If it is standing still or bouncing up and down then time to book yourself a session or two with a good coach who will help you take the next step up.

Shooting more grounds and a wider range of target presentations will make a big difference too.

No I shoot at two grounds local to me.

Star Gun Club @ Lymm every other Sunday the targets there don't change much but the weather and position of the sun cause inconsistent scores for me, as three of the stands are quite often straight into the sun.

Owlshoot Target Club @ Rixton as often as I can these targets are constantly changing and I shoot Pretty consistently here. (Until their Christmas shoot where I couldn't hit a simultaneous teal pair)

As the others have said, if you want to really measure your performance and progress over a period of time, the best and probably only meaningful way is to join the CPSA and regularly enter registered shoots.

Your scores will then be added to the national database and classified, which you can then monitor over a period of time.

Good luck with what you decide to do.

No I shoot at two grounds local to me.

Star Gun Club @ Lymm every other Sunday the targets there don't change much but the weather and position of the sun cause inconsistent scores for me, as three of the stands are quite often straight into the sun.

Owlshoot Target Club @ Rixton as often as I can these targets are constantly changing and I shoot Pretty consistently here. (Until their Christmas shoot where I couldn't hit a simultaneous teal pair)

Try the 100 practice at Catton Hall, Frodsham on a Wednesday, great day out 100 clays/£22. Cracking breakfast too. You could then try their 100 registered on a Sunday and shoot birds only (to remove some of the pressure), until you feel confident enough to 'shoot to kill' as it were.. If you clear 70 on your first attempt, you are not doing too badly !