Non native species

washerboy

Legally , if it isn't listed in the Wildlife and Countryside Act 1981 (as amended), it is not protected and could therefore be killed.

A lot of landowners in Scotland have been relying on this to kill Beaver that have been reintroduced unofficially in Perthshire, even though it is a European designated species.

I've just been reading about that, I can't believe how many there are on there !! Haha

They do think they might be a threat to the capercaillie though ? Not sure how true it is though

According to some, everything is a threat to the capercaillie, but somehow i don't think one isolated population of wallibies on an island ranks in the top 100 threats.

Edited by Stonepark

Even if your wallaby started to cause overpopulation problems then a shotgun isn't the tool, in Aussie they use 243 for the real big rabbits but guess 223 would be ideal. Be careful with long shots as very difficult to hold over on a vertical jumping marsupial as it could end up with a gut shot or even a butt shot if it was a good jumper. They do make good eating, especially the back legs marinated on the Barbie washed down with a can of Fosters.

A local farmers daughter had asked her dad what type of deer had big fluffy ears and a long tail, he asked me what sort of deer that could be and we decided it must have been a Roe and she was mistaken about the tail. Later it was discovered a pair of Wallaby's had escaped from the pet sanctuary at the local equestrian college, no idea what happened to them, they were never seen again, though there was a brief surge in Fosters sales. The exotic animals are getting more numerous, parakeets ,boar, various Chinese deer varieties, there are even reports of a small population of skunks doing well in the Forest of Dean. It does make the countryside more interesting but may well come to an end with Breckit, or not. :good:

I have a pattern I put out for Wallaby's but it is pretty random.

I place decoys on Pogo sticks at about 25/30 yards

Wallaby's jump with the wind behind them, I guess you could call it a tail wind

You are best to give a lot of lead and ensure that the shot is high.

You most certainly won't want a Red Letter Day.

It's an invasive foreign species, nice to see maybe but in the same league as grey squirrels, mitten crabs, green parakeets, signal crayfish and rabbits. Personally I think shoot and eat is the best policy. It's not a native species so we should do our utmost to remove it.

Would you want to remove Boar, fallow, Muntjac, Sika and CWD then.