Bird flu on the wash

washwildfowler

*********ATTENTION PLEASE READ*********

I am sorry to say that we now have the virus H5N8 influenza-bird-flu on the wash . Myself and the club chairman have been on the phone to the appropriate authorities to seek some Advice for our club members .

We have been told if your are out Wildfowling and you come across any dead wildfowl that has not been shot then please leave it and do not touch it.

If you are shooting wildfowl then please take precautions there is no Danger to humans as this strain has never been passed on from bird to humans... how ever it is very bad news for poultry and wildfowl .if anyone works ,owns , or , comes into contact with either .then it would be advisable for you not to venture out onto the marsh until we can find out more information.

WILDFOWLING HAS NOT! BEEN STOPPED ON OUR MARSHES ...

but we ask you to take extra extra precautions if you are planning on going Wildfowling.

If possible wear gloves when picking up shot foul .wash your hands ,wellies chestwaders thoroughly

This is all we know at this time .

As you know it's coming up to the new year so all the authorities we need to speak to will be closed till Tuesday.

We do not want to start a wide spread panic but only to make our members aware of what's happening...

Dewayne cross

Vice chairman slwc

Tested by the RSPB eh? Surprised there was no claim that they were all found to be carrying lead shot! But I guess there's still time?

To be honest the RSPB have been very good with helping our club out . I also think some people need to take the heads out there own backsides and give there heads a wobble .

[

I think you were a bit harsh there, I'm sure that was a tongue in cheek comment, however we are in different parts of the country and yes we must all be wary of what's at our doorstep, it's extremely concerning at the moment and if we fail to pay heed to such warnings, like press releases as yours then we put are sport at risk, wild and domestic birds will be devastated if there's massive outbreak eperdemic.

Edited by E.w.

To be honest the RSPB have been very good with helping our club out

I Guess it depends to some degree, on the local RSPB staff? But better to not be complacent, and keep an eye out for the inevitable knife in the back......when it suits their not so covert anti shooting agenda!

I also think some people need to take the heads out there own backsides and give there heads a wobble .

Is that directed at me? If so perhaps you would care to explain why? Because I don't really see the reason for or relevence of this comment?

Possibly Washwildfowler , is trying to get across that this is bigger than RSPB and the shooting groups, so stiring is going to make no difference, from their part, as they might well realise/know the shooting group monitors more acres than they ever do. If it gets a grip both sides will HAVE to stand side by side.

No malice meant to any other posts.

The highly pathonegic avian influenza H5N8 has been found in wildfowl on two RSPB reserves in England.

The virus has been detected in dead birds found at Frampton Marsh nature reserve in Lincolnshire and Marshside reserve in Southport, Merseyside.

Following advice from Public Health England the RSPB is not initially closing the reserves. Signage at the affected sites provides guidance to visitors, emphasising the importance of hygiene. Visitors should take care to avoid physical contact with dead or sick birds, which should be reported to site staff or directly to the Defra hotline (03459 33 55 77).

There is no record of this strain of bird flu ever being transferred to people and the risk to humans is low. Defra have assessed that the risk to poultry remains at low to medium, and will vary according to the level of biosecurity on site.

These findings are amongst 18 infected birds recorded across the UK in the last two weeks by the Animal & Plant Health Agency. Ducks, sea birds and birds of prey with H5N8 have been found in Carmarthenshire, Dumfries and Galloway, Leicestershire, Somerset, Lincolnshire, Gloucestershire and Merseyside.

Hi thanks for the information

Don't know if it's worth avoiding the marsh as some of the places we visit are isolated and we are the ones likely to find the sick birds

However if you have a lot of poultry you can make a informed decision now

Als think it's probably a good idea not to visit to many different ones

Just my thoughts

All the best

Of