Primos trigger tripod

steve_b_wales

Good piece of kit and the two piece rest works well to leave the rifle on but is not really that solid, i always feel nervous leaving the rifle on it. Would i buy the two piece again? Probably not as i dont tend to stand in a ambush situation that often, usually sat in a high seat. To use the two piece as you walk around it would take too long to unfold unless you had it already unfolded which would be a bit awkward carrying it.

The tripod is great bit of kit though and i would buy it again.

Hope this helps.

Mick

Got one from Fister on PW a couple of months ago.

I don't use the two point attachment very much - to coumbersome to be treking around the woods with it fitted.

The sticks I use all the time. Brilliant piece of kit.

You wont be dissappointed Steve.

Ben

Good piece of kit and the two piece rest works well to leave the rifle on but is not really that solid, i always feel nervous leaving the rifle on it. Would i buy the two piece again? Probably not as i dont tend to stand in a ambush situation that often, usually sat in a high seat. To use the two piece as you walk around it would take too long to unfold unless you had it already unfolded which would be a bit awkward carrying it.

The tripod is great bit of kit though and i would buy it again.

Hope this helps.

Mick

Thanks both, for the recommendation. I've just ordered the tripod from Bush Wear. I'll consider buying the 2 point rifle rest at a later date, unless someone wants to sell theirs. I would use it when baiting Foxes.

Bit late now Steve, but if you want to try a bipod I have one... only used a couple of times but I love it

Thanks Steve. I have seen my mates Tripod in action, and apart from it sticking a few times, it seemed okay. Not sure if he has the Mk1 model though.

I have a monopod (now used in conjunction with my FoxPro) and also a Bipod, which I've used when sitting down.

I've also got a set of sticks (from the USA) that has the rubber on the top, and slips over the barrel and grips it. I've yet to use it though.

Hi Steve,

Mine were both Gen 2, not sure what happened with the first one with the legs sticking and then finally seizing up, I should have sent it back but i also needed a tripod for my spotting scope so i just permanently fixed the legs.

The one i currently have has had no issues (touch wood) but as mentioned above it does get a wipe down with PTFE to keep it maintained,

Ade

Hi Steve,

Mine were both Gen 2, not sure what happened with the first one with the legs sticking and then finally seizing up, I should have sent it back but i also needed a tripod for my spotting scope so i just permanently fixed the legs.

The one i currently have has had no issues (touch wood) but as mentioned above it does get a wipe down with PTFE to keep it maintained,

Ade

Thanks Ade,

Mine should be here in a few days time, so will give them a good test, and, look after them. I haven't decided on the 2 point rifle rest yet, I'm going to see if there's a way of making my own.

Just waiting for a few days off work now.

Steve, I'm going against the grain here. I bought both tripod and two point gun rest. Lets just say the tripod is just about ok but if I have a long shot to take I'll use my home made Quad sticks . These take longer to set up and can't track sideways unless lifting one side up. But when set are rock solid as you must be aware!

As for the gun rest I put it on the tripod once, far to flimsy for my liking and nothing like stable enough, in fact I cut and altered it to make up a shooting table for zeroing

just my 2p's worth.

Steve, I'm going against the grain here. I bought both tripod and two point gun rest. Lets just say the tripod is just about ok but if I have a long shot to take I'll use my home made Quad sticks . These take longer to set up and can't track sideways unless lifting one side up. But when set are rock solid as you must be aware!

As for the gun rest I put it on the tripod once, far to flimsy for my liking and nothing like stable enough, in fact I cut and altered it to make up a shooting table for zeroing

just my 2p's worth.

Cheers. I have a set of homemade quad sticks, made for me by a good mate of mine. They are excellent, apart from they don't swivel, but they are solid. I want the Primos one to use with my .243/Pulsar N750A when baiting foxes. I'm going to see if there's any way I can make a 2 point rifle rest. if not, I'll consider buying one at a later date.

UPDATE:

The tripod arrived yesterday. It's a Jim Shockey deluxe model, whatever that means. First impressions are good. They are solid and have a bit of weight behind them, which is what I wanted. I'm looking forward to trying them out in the field.

I'm going to see if there's a way I can make a 2 point rifle rest to fit on it.

I have the Primos tripod Steve, i have used it when walking around and for waiting for rabbits to come out of cover at dusk. I find it excellent for a person of my age (seventy this year) for taking the weight of the rifle for the longer shots.

I have also been tempted in buying the two point rest, but after reading reviews, the comments say they are too flimsy, unstable and just not up to the job.

I have the Primos tripod Steve, i have used it when walking around and for waiting for rabbits to come out of cover at dusk. I find it excellent for a person of my age (seventy this year) for taking the weight of the rifle for the longer shots.

I have also been tempted in buying the two point rest, but after reading reviews, the comments say they are too flimsy, unstable and just not up to the job.

Thanks. I'm going to have a go at making a rifle rest in the near future. I have an idea, and hopefully, it will work. The main thing is getting it to fit where the yoke is, but as it's a standard camera thread, I have some old camera fittings that I can take bit's off.

I thought about the Primos but far too many issues reported with sticking legs after a year or two of use, so I went with the Vanguard T62u tripod (which can also be used as a bipod or monopod) and don't regret the decision. I rarely bother with quad stacks these days as the Vanguard goes everywhere with me. I find it better to use, and it allows fuss free tracking of an animal on the swivel head provided. Very robust too.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I decided to purchase the 2 point gun rest, and received it yesterday (purchased from A1 Decoys) who were the cheapest. I was pleased with it, and it's quite sturdy. I fitted it to the tripod with ease, and then tried it with my rifle. My rifle, fitted with a Pulsar N750A scope and moderator is reasonably heavy, but it balanced well on the gun rest. Adjusting the yokes allowed to rifle to be left on the tripod hands free, although I wouldn't leave it like that for a long time. I haven't had chance to try it outdoors yet, owing to our great British/Welsh weather.

All in all, I'm happy with it, and I know it's going to benefit me when baiting Foxes and using my NV.