Sharing a gun

Bigmax1701

I take my lad shooting on my licence at the local ground. At the weekend we took part in a fun competition, sharing my gun. It was a bit of a pain passing mine back and forth, so I'm wondering if, within the terms of the sgc, I could get another gun and he could use it as long as I'm nearby?

Edited by Bigmax1701

You as a licence holder can have as many guns as you wish.

A clay ground with a section 11(6) can have none licence holders in possession of section 2 firearms

As long as the ground are happy (some aren't) then yes as long as they have 11(6)

But much better to put in for a licence for him (under 18s can only borrow guns iirc anyway) so it would need to be on your licence either way

Edited by HDAV

I plan to put in for his licence later this year 😉

The ground have section 11 and are pretty easy going so I'll ask next time I'm up.

Would both of us shooting at the same time be OK?

Sounds like a good excuse to buy another gun lol

Edited by Bigmax1701

As long as ground are happy for him to shoot solo then legally it's your gun you own it and can lend it to who ever under the terms of the grounds exemption.

Is he over 15 as there are some conditions under 15 regarding supervision iirc

Edited by HDAV

For general practice it's not an issue but the competition threw up something I hadn't considered

My lad doesn't live with me so I have a 90min round trip to fetch him for shooting by my house, there are some sites by him we'd like to go to but they don't have section 11 so there's a need to get him a licence anyway

If shooting in a comp try and join a bigger squad 4+ and don't be consecutive that way with one gun you can each shoot and prepare to shoot with a shooter between you

Unless you're shooting trap lol!

Edited by HDAV

He'll be 16 this year and built like a brick outhouse so don't imagine he'd ever be questioned

It's not about being questioned ☹️

It's about being responsible and signing the relevant paperwork to safeguard your license and ensure that on the day the ground is aware that unlicensed temporary members are shooting and complieing with the terms of there section 11 license and insurance requirements

Sorry if this sounds harsh

Enjoy your day out

All the best

Of

If shooting in a comp try and join a bigger squad 4+ and be consecutive that way with one gun you can each shoot and prepare to shoot with a shooter between you

Unless you're shooting trap lol!

It was compak and we were next to each other until we ended up at stands 1 & 5, bit of running around then lol.

It's not about being questioned ☹️

It's about being responsible and signing the relevant paperwork to safeguard your license and ensure that on the day the ground is aware that unlicensed temporary members are shooting and complieing with the terms of there section 11 license and insurance requirements

Sorry if this sounds harsh

Enjoy your day out

All the best

Of

That was meant to be a bit tounge in cheek 😉

My query was more over us being on different stands, with a gun each at the same time

As long as ground are happy for him to shoot solo then legally it's your gun you own it and can lend it to who ever under the terms of the grounds exemption.

Is he over 15 as there are some conditions under 15 regarding supervision iirc

He can't shoot solo. He'll need to be with a licence holder.

It was compak and we were next to each other until we ended up at stands 1 & 5, bit of running around then lol.

That was meant to be a bit tounge in cheek 😉

My query was more over us being on different stands, with a gun each at the same time

I understand that

now stand in the place of the other 3 competitors and ask how confident would you feel in there place ?

And is doing this disturbing there round /competition?

It's not hard to do two rounds of compact you shooting one and then stand with him when he shoots the next

Or just don't shoot your self and coach /help/ supervise your lad

Just my thoughts on it

All the best

Of

That's what I wasn't sure of, how close does the supervision need to be? I was always within 20ft

I understand that

now stand in the place of the other 3 competitors and ask how confident would you feel in there place ?

And is doing this disturbing there round /competition?

It's not hard to do two rounds of compact you shooting one and then stand with him when he shoots the next

Or just don't shoot your self and coach /help/ supervise your lad

Just my thoughts on it

All the best

Of

He started shooting the same time I did so it's not like he's a complete novice being given direction on the stand. This was our first competition style shoot and the issue of sharing didnt occur to me before hand.

We didn't hold up the line but I was glad it was only a fun shoot.

That's what I wasn't sure of, how close does the supervision need to be? I was always within 20ft

He started shooting the same time I did so it's not like he's a complete novice being given direction on the stand. This was our first competition style shoot and the issue of sharing didnt occur to me before hand.

We didn't hold up the line but I was glad it was only a fun shoot.

20ft is fine. At the other end of the ground, not so much.

I don't think that is quite right

https://basc.org.uk/wp-content/plugins/download-monitor/download.php?id=39

BORROWING SHOTGUNS

Sections 11(5) and 11(6) -Firearms Act 1968 allow non-certificate holders to shoot shotguns in the following circumstances ONLY:

a) when using the occupier’s gun, on the occupier’s private land and in his/her presence. (NEW – Under Section 11(5) only, non certificate holders aged less than 18 years, may now only be lent a shotgun in these circumstances by a person aged 18 years or older. Under 15s must always be supervised by a 21 year old or over).

b) when at a police approved clay shoot (Section 11(6))

Note: The law has recently changed due to “The Firearms (Amendment) Regulations 2010” – this document has been amended to incorporate the age changes given by the regulations.

https://basc.org.uk/wp-content/plugins/download-monitor/download.php?id=30

YOUNG PEOPLE AND SHOTGUNS

Young people of any age can apply for and be granted a shotgun certificate, but you cannot buy or hire a shotgun or ammunition until you are 18.

NON- CERTIFICATE HOLDERS

If you wish to use a shotgun and do not have a certificate you may only do so in the following circumstances;

a) Borrowing a shotgun from the occupier of private land, in his/her presence (if you are the borrower and under 18 the lender must be aged 18 years or older.)

Or when;

b) Shooting at a police-approved clay shoot (Section 11(6))

I don't think that is quite right

https://basc.org.uk/wp-content/plugins/download-monitor/download.php?id=39

BORROWING SHOTGUNS

Sections 11(5) and 11(6) -Firearms Act 1968 allow non-certificate holders to shoot shotguns in the following circumstances ONLY:

a) when using the occupier’s gun, on the occupier’s private land and in his/her presence. (NEW – Under Section 11(5) only, non certificate holders aged less than 18 years, may now only be lent a shotgun in these circumstances by a person aged 18 years or older. Under 15s must always be supervised by a 21 year old or over).

b) when at a police approved clay shoot (Section 11(6))

Note: The law has recently changed due to “The Firearms (Amendment) Regulations 2010” – this document has been amended to incorporate the age changes given by the regulations.

https://basc.org.uk/wp-content/plugins/download-monitor/download.php?id=30

YOUNG PEOPLE AND SHOTGUNS

Young people of any age can apply for and be granted a shotgun certificate, but you cannot buy or hire a shotgun or ammunition until you are 18.

NON- CERTIFICATE HOLDERS

If you wish to use a shotgun and do not have a certificate you may only do so in the following circumstances;

a) Borrowing a shotgun from the occupier of private land, in his/her presence (if you are the borrower and under 18 the lender must be aged 18 years or older.)

Or when;

b) Shooting at a police-approved clay shoot (Section 11(6))

You can borrow a shotgun at a Section 11 approved ground. I doubt you'd find a ground that would just let a non licence holder borrow a gun and do a round unsupervised.

I've been asked to supervise non licence holders before at a Section 11 approved ground borrowing a club gun. You have to be within earshot of someone borrowing a gun. At a ground, earshot is realistically next to them.

Just in terms of competition shooting and I am thinking of CPSA shoots, I think you will find each competitor must have a gun you can't share. How strictly certain grounds enforce this I don't know. Personally if I was shooting a Sportrap or compak or any of the trap disciplines competitions, I really wouldn't want to be on a line with two people sharing a gun that is my personal opinion.

Just in terms of competition shooting and I am thinking of CPSA shoots, I think you will find each competitor must have a gun you can't share. How strictly certain grounds enforce this I don't know. Personally if I was shooting a Sportrap or compak or any of the trap disciplines competitions, I really wouldn't want to be on a line with two people sharing a gun that is my personal opinion.

I don't think that's quite right as 2 guys in the US team shared a gun at the World Sporting due to one not having had the right paperwork so his gun was left in Texas

I don't think that's quite right as 2 guys in the US team shared a gun at the World Sporting due to one not having had the right paperwork so his gun was left in Texas

I imagine in Sporting that wouldn't be a problem in fact Martin Myers and his mate changed his stock over to shoot in a major competition each time he shot because of a fault but in Sportrap and compak I don't think they would allow it never mind something like DTL or ABT etc.

I imagine in Sporting that wouldn't be a problem in fact Martin Myers and his mate changed his stock over to shoot in a major competition each time he shot because of a fault but in Sportrap and compak I don't think they would allow it never mind something like DTL or ABT etc.

Sporting a CPSA run shoot. Agree trap and the others it won't work but can't remember see it stipulated.

Sporting a CPSA run shoot. Agree trap and the others it won't work but can't remember see it stipulated.

No I tried to find it but can you imagine a line of trap shooters allowing it they just wouldn't. in some comps Squads are squadded by class even. It would totally spoil the rhythm of the line.