Clay Ground within reasonable drive of London with a beginner

SE30

Hi all

This is my first post.

I have been shooting for over 20 years and have relocated to London (game shooting but love a trip to the clay ground).

I have some friends who have shot before who would like to come with me to learn further.

Does anybody know of a clay ground within a reasonable drive of London (I am in SW London) where I can take a friend and be in control of the traps ourselves at our own pace and be able to shoot as many as we like at one stand for example, Bisley call this pay and play I believe but require all shooters to have a licence.

Look forward to hearing any responses.

Thanks

S

There's a couple in Hampshire if that's not too far. BUT, if others want to use the stand then please let them "play through" as they do in golf. Having said that, you'll probably want to wander around and try different targets anyway.

Bring new people in, the more we have the more grounds will stay open.

Spitfire at Stockbridge will be about an hours run for you (M3/A303/A3057). Really nice guys Peter and Richard Harding. They run the promatic trap system. Make sure you take gun cert (s). Go during a week day when its very quiet and you can stay on one stand for a fair time. There is no food, just a tea/coffee kettle. Plenty pubs local for food.

There are two flush style layouts which requires two people (one shooter, one operator) because the controller boxes are not automatic.

This is a practice ground so in theory you can have as many targets as you like off one stand. Out of courtesy let waiting shooters have their turn and then go back onto the stand.

Edited by B25Modelman

Hi all

This is my first post.

I have been shooting for over 20 years and have relocated to London (game shooting but love a trip to the clay ground).

I have some friends who have shot before who would like to come with me to learn further.

Does anybody know of a clay ground within a reasonable drive of London (I am in SW London) where I can take a friend and be in control of the traps ourselves at our own pace and be able to shoot as many as we like at one stand for example, Bisley call this pay and play I believe but require all shooters to have a licence.

Look forward to hearing any responses.

Thanks

What do you mean by "be in control of the traps"? at the A1 like many grounds the traps work on a button system/clay counter, no trappers involved.

As at most grounds the etiquette is 10 shots per gun and move on, but of course at quiet times you can shoot as many as you want but as has been said earlier be prepared to step aside and let other guns move through, you can then of course return to the stand.

I Coach at the A1 if you require any help please drop me a pm.

Use the co ordinates not post code into your sat nav to find the entrance the post code is very hit and miss, I can forward these if you want them

Terry

Edited by bakerboy

AGL is excellent, I also recommend them.

I don't really like A1 somehow; been there a couple of times and there were a few good targets, but their setup is clunky, and perhaps it's subjective, but I didn't like the crowd that much either...

I used to use the air rifle range a bit when I lived that way, I have to say everyone I met there and in the clubhouse were very friendly and helpful.

I don't really like A1 somehow; been there a couple of times and there were a few good targets, but their setup is clunky, and perhaps it's subjective, but I didn't like the crowd that much either...

Claudio and his family are lovely but really I always consider it a trap ground - Tony likes to get his trap "fix" every so often by going there. Sporting is secondary there and adequate I think for those starting out or those that just wish to have a round with friends with not too much challenge or stress. Buze you are used to grounds like Churchills where sporting is taken far more seriously and the challenges greater.

Hi Buze, can you let me know what you mean by Clunky.

I work at the A1 and we are constantly trying to improve things hence the short closure for a little re-furb.

You cannot choose your customers and we try to make everyone welcome, we do enjoy a big range from Multi Millionaires to the average shooter, who are the vast majority of shooters and every shooting grounds Bread and Butter.

We try to accommodated everyone but sometimes no matter what you do someone will not like it.

Hi Buze, can you let me know what you mean by Clunky.

I work at the A1 and we are constantly trying to improve things hence the short closure for a little re-furb.

You cannot choose your customers and we try to make everyone welcome, we do enjoy a big range from Multi Millionaires to the average shooter, who are the vast majority of shooters and every shooting grounds Bread and Butter.

We try to accommodated everyone but sometimes no matter what you do someone will not like it.

Hi @bakerboy. Well the token system that you need to preload, and the fact the buttons weren't terribly responsive was the main gripe on the technical front. Other shooting grounds like AGL have a small remote that makes it a LOT easier for people to look at what the shooter is doing. I have to say there was a stand at the back/right that was pretty awesome; while others were a bit underwhelming -- but as Sian mentioned I'm perhaps biased a bit on that front.

On a /clearly subjective/ topic tho, I saw a couple of guys, including someone who clearly works on the grounds who was openly ogling my wife. Again as Sian says I/we shoot on other grounds, but it's the first time I see /that/ on a clay ground. Suffice to say we tried AGL and A1 in the same week, and will very likely never return to A1 while we already gone to AGL a few times and pondering taking membership there as well.

Again I don't want to generalise anything here, it's a completely subjective experience and I'm sure there's hundreds of happy A1 users, and perhaps it was the 'wrong' day to visit and so on, I don't want my experience (given because it was asked!) to imply that it is representative or anything, it's just a personal experience, on one single visit.

Thanks for letting me know, and for being so honest and open.

If you feel you could give us a second chance, maybe early in the year I would be happy to walk around with you, if I have any of my winter fuel allowance left I may even offer to buy you a coffee.

Terry

There is a nice clay shoot in cobham just down the A3 where if you want you can take all your clays on just one stand if you want and there is usually a min of 15 stands this is on a Saturday

Also there is a very nice informal clay shoot at iver by Heathrow airport j5 M4

You also have the clay ground past west London shooting ground just off the A40 at Hendon