78 replies to this topic

#61 12gauge82

12gauge82
  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 922 posts
  • Joined 27-November 13

Posted 06 January 2017 - 09:39 AM

I think it's a fear thing, he was chased as a pup around a a field by a dog and I think it started there, I think I'm getting somewhere then he will get a ####ing off another dog again ! Then it's back to square one !!

A behaviourist is the way forwards, dealing with fear issues can be one of the more difficult issues to fix but it can in most cases be at least lessened to some extent if not fixed. With some retraining and positive reinforcement I'm sure you can get it over it, I'm afraid it's not something that could easily be fixed over the Internet, but you could possibly start by ensuring that the dog trusts in you as leader and then start building some distraction techniques, feed ingredients it treats and praising it as dogs come closer and closer without it reacting, so it associates other dogs with positive thoughts, the key is to do this very slowly and gently and not be tempted to push it too far, good luck.

#62 12gauge82

12gauge82
  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 922 posts
  • Joined 27-November 13

Posted 06 January 2017 - 09:50 AM

I don't expect you to have an Oxford degree in literature ,but can you please read my post again ? I am the responsible dog owner putting his dog on a lead when I see other dogs approach in case dogs behave like dogs. I expect the other owner to do the same. Any dog on a lead feels vulnerable when he is tethered and the other isn't regardless the size of either dog! But when mine is on a lead and feeling vulnerable when the other isn't under control and a fight starts anyway, you can bet I will let go of the lead so my dog
 has a chance to defend himself. My GSD is not aggressive at all but like us humans dogs don't like everybody they meet..

I've owned many GSDs over the years and it sounds like yours could do with a bit of work, maybe I'm wrong? It's just you described it as having to put it on the lead as it can be unpredictable, I would worry that one day it could attack another dog if you didn't get it on the lead quickly enough as you were surprised, and even worse if a child or person got caught in the cross fire, but maybe you haven't worded your situation quite right, I'm not having a dig at you, just hate it when I see on the news how fluffy savaged another child and the old 'it's a family dog, it never showed any problems before'.

#63 Gordon R

Gordon R
  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11761 posts
  • Joined 08-September 06

Posted 06 January 2017 - 09:55 AM

12gauge82 - You just seem to be evading an answer, whilst worrying that others might not have worded their "situation quite right". :hmm: 

Any chance of an answer about just where he called his own dog aggressive? You misquoted him, as I have pointed out. You just ignore awkward questions and move on to the next pearl of wisdom. :lol:  :lol:

Edited by Gordon R, 06 January 2017 - 09:56 AM.

#64 12gauge82

12gauge82
  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 922 posts
  • Joined 27-November 13

Posted 06 January 2017 - 10:05 AM

12gauge82 - You just seem to be evading an answer, whilst worrying that others might not have worded their "situation quite right". :hmm: 

Any chance of an answer about just where he called his own dog aggressive? You misquoted him, as I have pointed out. You just ignore awkward questions and move on to the next pearl of wisdom. :lol:  :lol:

Not at all, he didn't use those exact words but he stated and I quote 'because he is still a dog and can be unpredictable sometimes of how he will react to other dogs' I have to presume from unpredictable to other dogs he means some sort of aggression otherwise what does he mean? Unless he licks them excessively, which is why I stated maybe I misread I.e understood his post.

Edited by 12gauge82, 06 January 2017 - 10:06 AM.

#65 Cosd

Cosd
  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6522 posts
  • Joined 16-January 08

Posted 06 January 2017 - 10:56 AM

So in your statement of wisdom you're telling me that I have to muzzle my dog(who is not aggressive,but just doesn't like every dog ) at all times because some **** can't be bothered to put his dog on a lead? **** that!

It looks like a lot of people have no clue about dogs and their behaviour and try to reason with them or treat them like humans. 

There's somebody in my neighbourhood with a grumpy Cocker Spaniel who always growls at my dog and is always off the lead. Mine doesn't react too much but if he get's too close to my dog ,who is on a lead at all times when I walk him in town, then I'll let him have him! The owner knows my dog and he also knows that his is a grumpy *******. But hey, that's alright because he's just a Cocker Spaniel and Cocker Spaniels are always cute and therefore don't necessarily be on a lead. I've learned that the smaller the dog, the lesser training they had. 

I don't want to get into a spat with you, but "aggressive sometimes" isn't an excuse; If you choose to walk your dog where you know there are dogs off the lead, then yes, as a responsible dog owner you should muzzle it if shows a tendency to other dogs in his space.

I for one go to places where I can let my dog off the lead. Dogs are sociable creatures and by nature will approach each other.

Like  you we all have a story, and where I used to live there was a fella who used to walk around with an Akita who would maul anything that came within reach, I don't see that as acceptable because he's on his lead! And I'm by no means suggesting your dog is anything like that!!

In short, my view is teach it manners or if that's beyond you, muzzle it.

#66 McCloggie

McCloggie
  • Members
  • PipPip
  • 60 posts
  • Joined 04-December 13

Posted 06 January 2017 - 12:01 PM

I don't want to get into a spat with you, but "aggressive sometimes" isn't an excuse; If you choose to walk your dog where you know there are dogs off the lead, then yes, as a responsible dog owner you should muzzle it if shows a tendency to other dogs in his space.

I for one go to places where I can let my dog off the lead. Dogs are sociable creatures and by nature will approach each other.

Like  you we all have a story, and where I used to live there was a fella who used to walk around with an Akita who would maul anything that came within reach, I don't see that as acceptable because he's on his lead! And I'm by no means suggesting your dog is anything like that!!

In short, my view is teach it manners or if that's beyond you, muzzle it.

So going by your wicked opinion it would be a bit like the raped woman should go to jail but not the rapist because she was wearing high heels and a short skirt and the rapist just had a bad childhood.

Again, and this will be my last say about; I know my dog. He is not aggressive at all, in fact he is as soft as butter(unless you enter my house uninvited) but he doesn't always get along with other male dogs. That's why I have him on a lead and under my control. So if a yappy Spaniel or whatever who's off the lead thinks it's ok to go up to him and growl etc, then it is at first the Spaniel's owner at fault and secondly the Spaniel himself. My dog is a dog with a dogs' behaviour and I will never ever punish him by muzzling him because some other dog owner can't take responsibility and have his dog on a lead like I have mine!

If I have to put my dog on a lead, so does everybody else, simple!

Is this really so hard to comprehent and do people still see GSD's as the devil dogs and still have that biased opinion? 

#67 Cosd

Cosd
  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6522 posts
  • Joined 16-January 08

Posted 06 January 2017 - 12:11 PM

So going by your wicked opinion it would be a bit like the raped woman should go to jail but not the rapist because she was wearing high heels and a short skirt and the rapist just had a bad childhood.

Again, and this will be my last say about; I know my dog. He is not aggressive at all, in fact he is as soft as butter(unless you enter my house uninvited) but he doesn't always get along with other male dogs. That's why I have him on a lead and under my control. So if a yappy Spaniel or whatever who's off the lead thinks it's ok to go up to him and growl etc, then it is at first the Spaniel's owner at fault and secondly the Spaniel himself. My dog is a dog with a dogs' behaviour and I will never ever punish him by muzzling him because some other dog owner can't take responsibility and have his dog on a lead like I have mine!

If I have to put my dog on a lead, so does everybody else, simple!

Is this really so hard to comprehent and do people still see GSD's as the devil dogs and still have that biased opinion? 

Let's agree to disagree

#68 shaun4860

shaun4860
  • Moderators
  • 12655 posts
  • Joined 28-September 06

Posted 06 January 2017 - 12:25 PM

This is now getting tedious and venturing into like other threads getting into a personal nature,

It needs to stop or sadly it goes the way of so many other threads.......

I like Cosd's last post

Just agree to disagree

:shaun:

#69 scotslad

scotslad
  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2376 posts
  • Joined 02-January 13

Posted 06 January 2017 - 07:39 PM

Must admit as i sai earlier and i agree with cosd above just because ur dog is on a lead does not make it morally right to batter other dogs, not something i would be happy with and definately would try to train out of it (and its not natural or normal for dogs to fight with every male dog)

The big thing is a muzzle does not have to be a punishement, its no more a punishment than a halti lead or even a lead itself

If u acclimatise/introduce the muzzle when it associtates it with fun or walks i really don't see it being such a big deal infact some dogs might look forward to getting it on as it means a walk.

On the other side if other folk see ur dog muzzled they might be more inclined to put alead on tere dog and keep it under control as it should be

Also every friendly dog that (wrongly) approaches a dog and gets battered by these dogs on leads or off,thats far more likely to turn that dog into a less frendly bite 1st sort of dog so the circle continues and dogs in the general area will become worse.

#70 Bumble

Bumble
  • Members
  • Pip
  • 10 posts
  • Joined 27-April 16

Posted 07 January 2017 - 08:43 PM

My collie got attacked by a staffie a few years ago, ragging the hell out of her while the chav scum owner just shouted at it to let go. Fortunately I was more proactive with a swift size 11 firstly to it's knackers (dog, not chav) to make it let go and then a firm stamp onto the bloody thing's head to stop it coming back for another go. Chav scrote grabbed it and ran, leaving me 2 miles from home with a dog pumping blood from her shoulder and a £400 vet bill.
The damned thing attacked someone else's dog a few weeks later & ripped a chunk of its throat out.

Edited by Bumble, 07 January 2017 - 08:44 PM.

#71 12gauge82

12gauge82
  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 922 posts
  • Joined 27-November 13

Posted 07 January 2017 - 10:14 PM

My collie got attacked by a staffie a few years ago, ragging the hell out of her while the chav scum owner just shouted at it to let go. Fortunately I was more proactive with a swift size 11 firstly to it's knackers (dog, not chav) to make it let go and then a firm stamp onto the bloody thing's head to stop it coming back for another go. Chav scrote grabbed it and ran, leaving me 2 miles from home with a dog pumping blood from her shoulder and a £400 vet bill.
The damned thing attacked someone else's dog a few weeks later & ripped a chunk of its throat out.

These people are scum, remember it's the owners and not the breed.

#72 Fal

Fal
  • Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 486 posts
  • Joined 16-November 11

Posted 10 January 2017 - 02:10 PM

I had an interesting event when my springer was about 6 months old. I was out walking my dogs in a place where I hardly see anybody, both my lab, which was two at the time and my springer which was 6 months at the time, both off the lead as happy as they come bombing around playing with each other.

Next min I could hear a guy screaming to something to come back to him, I guessed it was a dog that had seen us and was coming for us. I called both mine back, my lab came to me as he was properly trained the springer saw this dog running towards him and decided he wanted to play. I could tell this dog was just going to attack, I could tell by it's body language it was intent on attacking him.

The dog just ran straight into my springer, my dog was screaming as he was terrified, they both fell into some bramble, I ran to the dogs, the owner was miles away, by now the terrier was on top of my springer grabbing it's belly, I've never heard a dog scream like I did that day, it was horrible.

I grabbed the dog by the scruff and pulled it off my dog and threw it behind me. Stupidly I thought that may have been enough. Was it hell, back it came trying to run to my dog and go for it again that's when I knew if I didn't stop it my dog would either run away never to be found again or this dog would kill it. I kicked the dog straight in the face as hard as I could, and although it did shake the dog it still got past me and on my dog again. I punched it as hard as I could in the neck which dazed it enough for my to pick my dog up, then it started jumping up on me to try and get at the dog. I carried on kicking it and ended up winding it. There was no way I was going to risk that dog getting at my dog again so as it was winded I kicked it as hard as I could a few more times to make sure it wouldn't come back at as. The dog ended up running away then the owner appeared, very apologetic etc both my lab and springer were shaking, terrified.  

My springer has never recovered, he's a totally different dog now, it's directly linked to this attack, now my dog is the dog not to be trusted totally around others. When we see a dog I can see it in him that he's scared but he tries not to show it and sometimes has gone for other dogs. It took me an age to get him to have a bit of confidence with other dogs, it was working, then one day another dog snapped at him and I was back to square one.

After the attack the owner of the dog knocked my door to apologise again,  as I said to him I was going to punch him if he didn't go away directly after the incident, I was absolutely livid. Anyway, he said he would pay for any vets treatment he needed etc and again apologised. I accepted his apology as my dogs were off the leads too. It would have been a different story if mine had been on the leads and the dog attacked them. If it went on any longer I was prepared to kick that dog to death, it sounds horrific, and it is, but I believe I would have. I'm glad it didn't get to that but as a result I now have a dog that's not totally trustworthy. He's definitely adopted the me or them approach.

It's horrible seeing that happen to your dogs, my dog would be dead if I hadn't have intervened I'm sure of it. 

#73 12gauge82

12gauge82
  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 922 posts
  • Joined 27-November 13

Posted 10 January 2017 - 06:56 PM

I had an interesting event when my springer was about 6 months old. I was out walking my dogs in a place where I hardly see anybody, both my lab, which was two at the time and my springer which was 6 months at the time, both off the lead as happy as they come bombing around playing with each other.

Next min I could hear a guy screaming to something to come back to him, I guessed it was a dog that had seen us and was coming for us. I called both mine back, my lab came to me as he was properly trained the springer saw this dog running towards him and decided he wanted to play. I could tell this dog was just going to attack, I could tell by it's body language it was intent on attacking him.

The dog just ran straight into my springer, my dog was screaming as he was terrified, they both fell into some bramble, I ran to the dogs, the owner was miles away, by now the terrier was on top of my springer grabbing it's belly, I've never heard a dog scream like I did that day, it was horrible.

I grabbed the dog by the scruff and pulled it off my dog and threw it behind me. Stupidly I thought that may have been enough. Was it hell, back it came trying to run to my dog and go for it again that's when I knew if I didn't stop it my dog would either run away never to be found again or this dog would kill it. I kicked the dog straight in the face as hard as I could, and although it did shake the dog it still got past me and on my dog again. I punched it as hard as I could in the neck which dazed it enough for my to pick my dog up, then it started jumping up on me to try and get at the dog. I carried on kicking it and ended up winding it. There was no way I was going to risk that dog getting at my dog again so as it was winded I kicked it as hard as I could a few more times to make sure it wouldn't come back at as. The dog ended up running away then the owner appeared, very apologetic etc both my lab and springer were shaking, terrified.  

My springer has never recovered, he's a totally different dog now, it's directly linked to this attack, now my dog is the dog not to be trusted totally around others. When we see a dog I can see it in him that he's scared but he tries not to show it and sometimes has gone for other dogs. It took me an age to get him to have a bit of confidence with other dogs, it was working, then one day another dog snapped at him and I was back to square one.

After the attack the owner of the dog knocked my door to apologise again,  as I said to him I was going to punch him if he didn't go away directly after the incident, I was absolutely livid. Anyway, he said he would pay for any vets treatment he needed etc and again apologised. I accepted his apology as my dogs were off the leads too. It would have been a different story if mine had been on the leads and the dog attacked them. If it went on any longer I was prepared to kick that dog to death, it sounds horrific, and it is, but I believe I would have. I'm glad it didn't get to that but as a result I now have a dog that's not totally trustworthy. He's definitely adopted the me or them approach.

It's horrible seeing that happen to your dogs, my dog would be dead if I hadn't have intervened I'm sure of it. 

And like someone earlier said, around and around it goes, it could be someone posting a similar story but with a toy breed after being attacked by your spaniel in future. Everyone always thinks it's not their dogs that are to blame and in fairness it's sometimes just a bad set of circumstances, mistakes do sometimes happen, but taking reasonable precautions is what being a responsible dog owner is about.

#74 viking

viking
  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5037 posts
  • Joined 07-October 07

Posted 11 January 2017 - 12:09 PM

Edited by viking, 11 January 2017 - 12:09 PM.

#75 Fal

Fal
  • Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 486 posts
  • Joined 16-November 11

Posted 12 January 2017 - 09:13 AM

And like someone earlier said, around and around it goes, it could be someone posting a similar story but with a toy breed after being attacked by your spaniel in future. Everyone always thinks it's not their dogs that are to blame and in fairness it's sometimes just a bad set of circumstances, mistakes do sometimes happen, but taking reasonable precautions is what being a responsible dog owner is about.

Yep, of course it could. It's a vicious circle, I'll never trust my spaniel fully around other dogs now. The really bizarre thing is that when he's working he has no interest in any dogs at all, they can be working by his side and he doesn't care he doesn't even acknowledge their presence. It's not a bad thing, but I think he's so intent on hunting all the other stuff goes out of the window.

#76 12gauge82

12gauge82
  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 922 posts
  • Joined 27-November 13

Posted 12 January 2017 - 11:05 AM

Yep, of course it could. It's a vicious circle, I'll never trust my spaniel fully around other dogs now. The really bizarre thing is that when he's working he has no interest in any dogs at all, they can be working by his side and he doesn't care he doesn't even acknowledge their presence. It's not a bad thing, but I think he's so intent on hunting all the other stuff goes out of the window.

He sounds like a cracking working dog, don't give up on him, most of the harm can usually be undone with a bit of work.

#77 scotslad

scotslad
  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2376 posts
  • Joined 02-January 13

Posted 12 January 2017 - 11:35 AM

I'd second wot 12g82 said above, while i doubt u'll ever fully trust him (as u never should any dog) and the dog may always have some mistrust/fear of other dogs too.

But socialising with the right sort of friendly dogs may help or start training with a few boys of the shoot and their dogs that ur dog already knows/ignores or joining a training group with a decent trainer, usually quite good craic anyway.

I know i previously mentioned that dog whisper bloke and i have no idea how real made up for tv it is, but he does seem to educate some pretty mental and aggresive dogs just by socialising them with his own non aggressive dogs.

He also reckons a lot is to do with ur own body energy, if u get tense/scared when u see a dog coming ur dog will sense that and feel the same. Sounds a lot of mumbo jumbo/ happy clappy nonesense but heard trainers in this country say the same.

Might be worth watching an odd episode

#78 12gauge82

12gauge82
  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 922 posts
  • Joined 27-November 13

Posted 12 January 2017 - 02:01 PM

He also reckons a lot is to do with ur own body energy, if u get tense/scared when u see a dog coming ur dog will sense that and feel the same. Sounds a lot of mumbo jumbo/ happy clappy nonesense but heard trainers in this country say the same.
Might be worth watching an odd episode

I often wondered about that and reckon your right, when you think about it dogs have evolved over thousands of years, living with man, what they pick up on is incredible, mine know when we are going out before I do anything obvious (like coat, boots, leads ect) and it's like they can read my mind, what they're really doing is reading my body language and it's incredible as I am unaware of what they're picking up on

#79 Mentalmac

Mentalmac
  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2417 posts
  • Joined 25-March 13

Posted 12 January 2017 - 04:12 PM

My lab was only 6 months when i was walking her on the pavement doing some heal work with her lead, and as I passed a house where we know the owners (they are real chav scum, the woman has a few kids all of which are in court/youth offenders etc...), you can literally smell the canibis as you walk past too. 

One of the sum opened up the door to have a cigerette and all 3 staffs came out and leapt the small garden wall and circled and then attacked my lab. I was lucky enough that there was lots of other people there who all jumped in trying to separate them and hitting the staffs with sticks and anything else found nearby.

I managed to drag my lab out of it by her lead and pick her up and managed to get her away from it all in the end - however, she had some puncture marks and a few gashes but nothing serious - however it really knocked her confidence and it took me ages to get her back to normal again. 

They refused to accept any responsibility for any of it, albeit my dog was on the pavement, on a short slip lead, by my side, and their dogs escaped a house and jumped a wall to get to mine... I didn't take mine to the vet in the end, I just give her a good clean, small wound powder and some TLC but someone (anonymous lol) tipped off the police about drug dealing as well as smoking drugs with kids in the house... I've heard on the local grapevine that they are at risk of having their little ones taken away for drug abuse and smoking cannabis infront of them plus a plethora of other problems. Sad as it may be, they are not safe there. Especially as there is now only 2 staffs living there, as the other 2 literally crushed the other ones head apparently - (A neighbour told me the two were using the other ones head for tug of war until it died).

More recently, I saw a dog attack where I take mine to walk, it's a MOD army training area allowed to public to walk dogs etc... a chav and his scummy family were walking a staff, it ran over and picked up this lovely old lady (I see her most days) very old Jack Russell and started thrashing it about. A man who walks his lab with me often, who is a huge mountain of a man, managed to grab them both and managed to get the staff off, holding it by it's harness on it's back as it was thrashing it about, he lobbed the dog into the water (it's a river where the bit were were stood all talking letting the dogs play is a open part they like to swim in). The Staff panicked and wasn't doing a good job of swimming, and strangely nobody went to help.... cue, scum chav running full pelt and removing expensive items from clothing before having to  go in himself to get dog. We all secretly hoped that the staff just drowned as it would have been for the best but unfortunately it survived.

The JR was bleeding a lot and the old lady was absolutely in bits, and we had to get her plus dog 2 miles back to cars and get vet organised etc... 

I like the idea of the lemon jiffy! 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users