17hmr bullet price

Michael Scotland

my main rfd I buy all my rifles/shotguns through has put their price up to £17 for hornady a box

strange though that winchester's 17gr hmr ammo is averaging the old price of hornady In all my local rfd's £12/£13 per 50

Strange too that winnies didn'y like my Quad HMR.

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 months later...

Even in my local the price has gone up. £33 - 100(purchased this afternoon). That's 33 pence a shot. It is about £5 more than the price asked back when the very first 17HMRs hit this shore. They dropped to around £10 a box(£20 - 100) but seem to have crept up again. Still seeing they are a surgical tool and you don't waste many, still worth shooting. I'll happily pay 33p to see a grey tree rat die :yes::good:

Taking the average as £17 for 50 I have to say I'm glad I switched to the hornet. 5p more to reload per round or cartridge, no squibs, split necks, wayward groups, around 1000fps faster accurate way beyond 200 yards with body shots possible out to 300 yards, consistent groups and velocities, all the benefits of a small, light, frangible bullet.

What's not to like? I can reload on the kitchen table with the press mounted onto a cut down and slightly adapted work mate which gets stored in the understair cupboard.

As these prices continue to rise I can see more people ditching the hmr and moving over to the diminutive centre fire.

Edited by mick miller

Seems very steep to me!

Wonder how long before the hmr rabbit brigade go back to the good old 22 rimfire?

I still think it's a great round for the job and so much quieter!

My shooting mate hates it and refers to it as a 'pop gun' I can't get thro to him about using a mil dot scope on it and 'using the dots'

He wants to point and shoot everything

If the .22Lr suits the job then use it, if the HMR suits the job then use it, if the WMR suits the job ...even if the HM2 suits the job, etc.....!

Rifles/calibres/ammo types are tools to do a job, use the best for every job!

:good: