Part time 4wd estate car

sandspider

Hi all

As the title really. I'm looking for a reasonably frugal, reliable estate car. It needs to hold a lot of stuff, do reasonable MPG (hence part time 4wd) and be reliable, easy to maintain (I'm fairly competent with spanners), have reasonable ground clearance and cost 5K ish. (Second hand, obviously).

I currently have a Subaru Legacy Spec B, which while hella fun, is a bit thirsty, and hasn't been the most reliable of steeds - think I might have got a Friday afternoon special. I was toying with the idea of a Skoda Octavia Scout, but they're only diesel - and I can see other cities banning diesel cars in the (nearish) future, plus the exhaust fumes are pretty grim and there aren't many about. Scout is also more pricey than the petrol normal 4WD Octavia estate, and there isn't a petrol Octavia Scout. (Normal Octavia 4x4 has lower ground clearance than the scout - which could actually be a problem as I live down a bumpy track). Other options are Volvo XC 70 / 90, but these are quite thirsty, though they do seem to go on forever.

Any options I'm overlooking? Don't want to pay for just a badge, but don't mind paying for quality that will last. Suggestions and thoughts welcome, thank you please.

Yeah, they do seem to have a good reputation. Fuel consumption not as good as manufacturers state (of course!) but still pretty good. I have seen a few within my budget, mainly higher mileage (though that shouldn't be a problem for Scouts it would seem) but generally also far away. Just want to check I'm not missing out any other options...

I recently sold my Grand Cherokee, which was a nice motor when it was behaving, but an expensive problem child a lot of the time. I bought a 2wd Octavia estate, so I can hopefully have a bit cheaper motoring for a while and not put the garage owner's kids through Uni again this year. First time I went shooting I had to go down a bit of a rough track to get to the parking area and I nearly ripped the sump off as they're so low to the ground. If the 4x4 standard one has the same ride height as the 2wd models you will find it hopeless. Not sure how long I'll be able to put up with the Skoda, but the 50mpg on a run is a nice change from 27mpg in the jeep.

Most selective 4x4s these days are just cars, with no ground clearance to talk of. What your asking is almost impossible, no offence, we all like good mileage and reliability, but to include all of your wishes is difficult. I think you have got to accept a bit of extra fuel expense to get what you want. Mention of Citroen reminds me of one of the very best little/big cars I have ever owned and that was a Citroen 1220 estate back in the 70s. Large wheels, but only front wheel drive and a suspension you could raise to clear flood water or rough ground even ruts. I took that car all over the Welsh hillsides and never got stuck once. The little flat four 1220 cc engine performed like a 2litre. You need something like that.

You could pick up a early 90s Range Rover petrol and have it converted to LPG, in fact I see a few with it already fitted for around the 5 grand figure. The LPG in my 4ltr V8 Landie gives me about 34 to the gallon money wise.

Edited by Walker570

Most are full time 4x4 might be a few SUV types with switchable 4x4 but the extra transmission running or not makes for a heavy car and not eccconomic A6 Allroad running lpg could be a good option?

Citroen c crosser is in budget but full time 4x4

We have a BMW X3 2.0d, can't fault it for reliability. Permanent 4x4 but rear until it detects traction slip then transers % drive to front.

34-40mpg, O6 or 07 for 5k.

My daughter has a Nissan Qashqai 2.0d, switchable from 2-4 wd. 09 , very reliable .

Both have more ground clearance than an estate.

Edited by MITCHF

Most selective 4x4s these days are just cars, with no ground clearance to talk of. What your asking is almost impossible, no offence, we all like good mileage and reliability, but to include all of your wishes is difficult. I think you have got to accept a bit of extra fuel expense to get what you want. Mention of Citroen reminds me of one of the very best little/big cars I have ever owned and that was a Citroen 1220 estate back in the 70s. Large wheels, but only front wheel drive and a suspension you could raise to clear flood water or rough ground even ruts. I took that car all over the Welsh hillsides and never got stuck once. The little flat four 1220 cc engine performed like a 2litre. You need something like that.

You could pick up a early 90s Range Rover petrol and have it converted to LPG, in fact I see a few with it already fitted for around the 5 grand figure. The LPG in my 4ltr V8 Landie gives me about 34 to the gallon money wise.

Nice idea but you would need to carry a large sack in the back to put all of the parts that fall off as it rusts away in. :whistling: :whistling:

The good old X-Trail is as good as anything on the mudy fields its just a pity that its so hard to find parts to lift them a couple of inches that is the only reason I sold mine apart from wanting an automatic.

Edited by four-wheel-drive

Gah. Tried to quote lots of posts and lost control!

Thanks for the suggestions, all. Forgot to mention, one of the reasons I'm less keen on a diesel scout is due to the potential for DPF problems. Quite a lot of my driving would be shorter journeys to train station etc. But I'd also like a reasonably modern car, so pre-DPF generally wouldn't be an option.

Audi A6 Allroad?

Considering I took my TT down your "bumpy track" without an issue, I'd have thought a normal Octavia would be fine

Will look into Audis. I'll post your exhaust back! Also, I want to drive through the potholes, not round them. And into fields etc.

I was going to say one of the Audi Quattro types or the equivalent from VW

We took our TT in snow over our other motors

:good:

I recently sold my Grand Cherokee, which was a nice motor when it was behaving, but an expensive problem child a lot of the time. I bought a 2wd Octavia estate, so I can hopefully have a bit cheaper motoring for a while and not put the garage owner's kids through Uni again this year. First time I went shooting I had to go down a bit of a rough track to get to the parking area and I nearly ripped the sump off as they're so low to the ground. If the 4x4 standard one has the same ride height as the 2wd models you will find it hopeless. Not sure how long I'll be able to put up with the Skoda, but the 50mpg on a run is a nice change from 27mpg in the jeep.

Interesting, thanks. I did wonder if it was worth paying the extra for the ground clearance of the scout - sounds like it might be. (140mm clearance standard Octavia (lower than my Spec B!), 155mm clearance with rough road pack, or 171mm for full Scout, apparently).

Audi Allroad? But think the air suspension is a pain and the V6 2.5 isn't great on juice.

I'd try find a diesel legacy or Quattro Audi

Don't think I'd go Legacy again at the moment, but will look at Audis.

A friend of mine lives out in the Boondocks down a long drive that I struggled to get my Pinzgauer down. He drives an old Citroën estate. I think the petrol issue might cause a problem

Could live with diesel, apart from DPF issues. Hmm.

Thanks, but don't fancy a RR. Do appreciate that I'm looking for something quite difficult to find!

Most are full time 4x4 might be a few SUV types with switchable 4x4 but the extra transmission running or not makes for a heavy car and not eccconomic A6 Allroad running lpg could be a good option?

Citroen c crosser is in budget but full time 4x4

Will look at C Crosser too, cheers.

We have a BMW X3 2.0d, can't fault it for reliability. Permanent 4x4 but rear until it detects traction slip then transers % drive to front.

34-40mpg, O6 or 07 for 5k.

My daughter has a Nissan Qashqai 2.0d, switchable from 2-4 wd. 09 , very reliable .

Both have more ground clearance than an estate.

Don't fancy a BMW Xanything either, but will look at Quashquais. Cheers.

I've got a Darcia Duster, ticks similar boxes to what your asking, you may need to pay £6k though.

Cheers

Aled

Could probably go to 6k for the right car. Will look at Dacias too! Thanks.

Nice idea but you would need to carry a large sack in the back to put all of the parts that fall off as it rusts away in. [:whistling:] [:whistling:]

The good old X-Trail is as good as anything on the mudy fields its just a pity that its so hard to find parts to lift them a couple of inches that is the only reason I sold mine apart from wanting an automatic.

Think I need more boot space than an X-trail / BMW Xwhatever.

Citroen bx 4x4 estate. May struggle to find one but easy to work on, huge amounts of space, decent ground clearance when you want it, lockable centre diff, not too bad on fuel, classic insurance.

The hatch was still capable of holding an awful lot and would be easier to find.

If you want something newish you may be in trouble though.

I think the c crosser is selectable 4wd with diff lock (guess centre) and based on the outlander also did come with a 2.4 petrol and auto box

Just need to hope Someone was daft enough to buy it new..... plenty of 2.2HDi in budget some high mileage newish cars

XC70?

I had one of those as a courtesy car cross country vetsion last year for a month. Absolutely useless in any kind of mud. I had a muddy farm track to go down. Nothing horrific mind and I would of expected the volvo to be suited but nope, soon as one wheel started to loose traction that was it. Lovely car to drive on the road though. D5 engine gives a nice bit of grunt.

Sorry, just seen the updates here.

Just out of interest I did a google search and found this I could not see what year they was talking about I would assume 2016 anyway hope this helps.

http://www.biznews.com/motoring/2016/04/04/suvs-whos-got-highest-ground-clearance/

Thanks for that, interesting. :good:

I think the c crosser is selectable 4wd with diff lock (guess centre) and based on the outlander also did come with a 2.4 petrol and auto box

Just need to hope Someone was daft enough to buy it new..... plenty of 2.2HDi in budget some high mileage newish cars

I had one of those as a courtesy car cross country vetsion last year for a month. Absolutely useless in any kind of mud. I had a muddy farm track to go down. Nothing horrific mind and I would of expected the volvo to be suited but nope, soon as one wheel started to loose traction that was it. Lovely car to drive on the road though. D5 engine gives a nice bit of grunt.

Most of my neighbours have old volvos of some sort. I thought they'd be quite good off road?