New car in 2017? You need to read this

Twistedsanity

Well it appears that due to the drop In the governbents coffers because of all the low emissions on vehicles paying little to no Road tax (and probably the knock on effect of those vehicles using less fuel and hence paying less tax on it) they are yet again changing the goal posts to ensure they still get their pound of flesh from anyone who can afford a new vehicle, your zero emission sandal knitting yoghurt weaving all electric planet saving car will now be taxed on the purchase price in addition to the emissions and is applicable to all new 2017 cars, so you may want to consider making that purchase a little earlier to avoid the ransom or buying last year's model, read 'em and weep if your lucky enough to be able to buy a new car because as usual with this government it's gonna hit your pocket regardless of your planet saving intentions http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/car-news/consumer-news/88361/tax-disc-changes-everything-you-need-to-know-about-uk-road-tax

Well it appears that due to the drop In the governbents coffers because of all the low emissions on vehicles paying little to no Road tax (and probably the knock on effect of those vehicles using less fuel and hence paying less tax on it) they are yet again changing the goal posts to ensure they still get their pound of flesh from anyone who can afford a new vehicle, your zero emission sandal knitting yoghurt weaving all electric planet saving car will now be taxed on the purchase price in addition to the emissions and is applicable to all new 2017 cars, so you may want to consider making that purchase a little earlier to avoid the ransom or buying last year's model, read 'em and weep if your lucky enough to be able to buy a new car because as usual with this government it's gonna hit your pocket regardless of your planet saving intentions http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/car-news/consumer-news/88361/tax-disc-changes-everything-you-need-to-know-about-uk-road-tax

Problem is, they are not really zero emissions, just at the tailpipe. There is still a huger power station somewhere burning something to create the juice in the first place. Renewables will bring the overall emissions down but...

Problem is, they are not really zero emissions, just at the tailpipe. There is still a huger power station somewhere burning something to create the juice in the first place. Renewables will bring the overall emissions down but...

Not to mention the huge amount that goes into making the things, then disposing of them after the uneconomical to repair electrical issues at eight to ten years old.

I'm sticking with my old disco and more than happy with the ecological impact of keeping it going. Slightly less clean at the tailpipe but much more ecologically friendly to build and maintain.

Very Simple answer to Deisel tail pipe emissions..

Stop takine the mick and let people use vegetable oil,,TOTAL ZERO EMMISIONS.

They used to call it funny fuel,smelt different yes,use it to get your car throught the emmisions test,,they will be gobsmacked,,Nothing..????.

So they could literaly change it over night..

No Brainer..

Very Simple answer to Deisel tail pipe emissions..

Stop takine the mick and let people use vegetable oil,,TOTAL ZERO EMMISIONS.

They used to call it funny fuel,smelt different yes,use it to get your car throught the emmisions test,,they will be gobsmacked,,Nothing..????.

So they could literaly change it over night..

No Brainer..

Common rails don't like it though?

I wonder when everything goes all-electric, as well it may in the future, how the government will collect their taxes then? Possibly on vehicle gross weights or something.

I've just switched to a large hybrid petrol electric. 3.5 litre V-6 petrol with several hundred extra BHP available from leccy motors and the tax is currently less than for a 1500cc petrol engine plus I get more to the gallon than with our old 2 litre diesel Merc.

I can't see the free lunch lasting much longer though as road fund licence is meant to cover road building and maintenance (all laugh out loud at this last point).

We saw this coming a couple of years ago - a mate and I walked through our (hire car) depot just before tax discs were dispensed with and out of the 100 or so vehicles sitting there the majority were £0, a few were £30/65 and there were a handful of R/Rs paying silly figure. Even the twin cabs were £120(?). We both said VED will be going up soon - the Chancellor is losing a packet here!

So, under the new rules, my old car (226g CO2/Kg) would have set us back £500 annually in VED, despite MOTs for the past number of years showing it to be lower than that and with other emissions being very low indeed due to the superb engineering (lexus). It was the "Swiss watch" of engines, and at 10 years old, could still polish up like show-room. I sold it recently despite it having another 10 years easily left in it (probably more) because the VED has crept up to £500 annually. The Lunacy of this is that I now drive about in a humungus V6 petrol hybrid rated at much lower emissions (145g CO2/Kg) so pay almost a quarter of the tax even though the reality is that the engine operates far more than in the controlled test environment used for assessment. So because I invest in new technology which is meant to be greener, the Chancellor decides that too many people are trying to save the planet, so we're now facing tax hikes for being "green". You couldn't make it up. They should just have stuck to the old system of taxation by vehicle class and engine size as this has far more relevance to impact on road maintenance, along with annual mileage (paid for at the pumps).

Counter to this that there are a record number of cars now on the roads and I don't feel quite so sorry for the Chancellor, as the truth is that the rise in car numbers over the past decade generate income which swamps any losses from more people going "green". They just rip off the motorist to help plug the massive hole in their spending plans. If this were France, we'd all be out blockading roads to protest at any further stealth taxes. I feel very strongly about this because moneys which used to be ring fenced are used for other pots and less money is going to local authorities for maintenance, who have suffered massive road funding cuts in real terms, year on year for the past decade. If the government was really interested in us all being more environmentally savvy, they;d restrict car ownership to prevent so many vehicles being on the road in the first place. For a start, the driving test (standard) should be made much harder and better reflect real world driving conditions in the UK. I'd advocate and support making the advanced test, the standard one. That would weed out a lot who shouldn't be behind a wheel. I;d also support re-testing every 10 years and remove from the roads anyone who didn't pass until they took supplementary lessons and got back to standard. Thread drift, I know, but the whole VED thing isn't about general concern for our planet, that's naive. it's about stealth taxation come 2017. Why the hell should cars over £40K attract a supplementary tax of £1500 over 5 years? It's just a way of shifting extra new car tax to make it more appealing to buy new to help manufacturers instead of increasing new car tax honestly.

I was just thinking about this today my 2.8 diesel jeep costs me £540 road tax £300 insurance £40 MOT so its costing me £880 a year before I put any fuel in to it as I only do about 3000 MPY if my maths is correct that is £3.75 per mile before I even think about putting any diesel in to it I must be mad but what the hell I do not smoke or drink or gamble so I spend my money on my car.

I was just thinking about this today my 2.8 diesel jeep costs me £540 road tax £300 insurance £40 MOT so its costing me £880 a year before I put any fuel in to it as I only do about 3000 MPY if my maths is correct that is £3.75 per mile before I even think about putting any diesel in to it I must be mad but what the hell I do not smoke or drink or gamble so I spend my money on my car.

No, your maths isn't correct, 3000 miles @ £3.75 a mile would be £11.250.

Edited by Chris B123

Ok clever clogs I got it wrong that is not a surprise as I am not the sharpest knife in the box so what should it be.

3.41 pence per mile, before you factor in the cost of fuel. Not the best value for money. The government has very little concern about the environment. As long as the money keeps flowing and they are perceived to be doing something about global warming and diesel emissions etc, and they meet the criteria on their hypocrital lists, then they will continue to rip off the general public. The idea of paying extra at the pump is one I strongly disagree with. There is absolutely no reason why our fuel has to be so expensive, other than governmental greed.

Edited by Cannon

Hmm, renewables? A car with a wind turbine? I think it has been tried before. They called it an aeroplane!

Sorry, I'll get my coat :(

Paying extra at the pump won't happen when we are mostly electric and there are no more pumps, it's all going to be extra Road tax or pay per mile black boxes. If they were to stick the losses from fuel duty onto Road tax that would price many people out of being able to run a car so it'll be a pay per mile or some sort of new fangled stealth tax on the electricity you use to charge your car.

Maybe they will Compensate by adding a huge buyers tax onto new cars or even a stamp duty type tax onto all second hand car sales? ( that would be quite easy to implement as we all have log books)One thing I think we can all agree on however is they will still get their pound of flesh from the motorist whatever happens in the coming years.

Paying extra at the pump won't happen when we are mostly electric and there are no more pumps, it's all going to be extra Road tax or pay per mile black boxes. If they were to stick the losses from fuel duty onto Road tax that would price many people out of being able to run a car so it'll be a pay per mile or some sort of new fangled stealth tax on the electricity you use to charge your car.

Maybe they will Compensate by adding a huge buyers tax onto new cars or even a stamp duty type tax onto all second hand car sales? ( that would be quite easy to implement as we all have log books)One thing I think we can all agree on however is they will still get their pound of flesh from the motorist whatever happens in the coming years.

The 'pump' has to be replaced with the plug...

Fuel still has to be paid for, and it's easy to see what will happen to electricity.