Flocks of Pigeons

pigeon controller

I had the call on Monday evening, " Flocks of Pigeons" on my rape. At the time it was minus seven degrees outside and I said I would be out in the morning. Mad or What!!!!. Out of bed at 06.00, quick coffee for the car and off I go. Frozen decoys on the lofting cradles and hide and poles. I went with the Hushpower as to not disturb other birds out of the roosting woods so they would come to the field and pay the price. It was four degrees as I set up and 07.30 first customer to the lofted decoys. I put out the shot birds in a pattern beneath the tree as I shot them and by 10.00 it was all over, so packed up and went home text a picture to the farmer who was very happy. Mission accomplished.

Friday, the weather was rain in the early afternoon, so out at 10.00 looking for Saturdays shoot I found two good flocks of birds and left them feeding hard. Continued looking for an afternoons shoot and decided to try an old field with a different method. Drove to the edge of the field and spooked a flock of at least fifty birds off the rape , set up the hide put two lofted decoys in an Ash tree to my left and put out eight thawed birds in spikes in the tram lines in the rape. It was now 12.30 and when the first flock of passing birds came in I shot two. Now these birds all passed over high and two tail end birds commited to the decoys last thing which made them very close to the gun which made me nervous to shoot so I let them turn away to gain some distance . I'd had a text in the week for fifty fresh birds and this is always the Kiss of Death for decoying. The same happend during the rest of the afternoon with the birds coming in a large flock but only a few interested in the decoys. It started to rain at 14.30 and I packed the gear away so it would not get wet. I had shot twentytwo birds.

Today I set out at 08.00 and picked up DB in thick Fog, we drove for approx thirty minutes and saw not one birds due to the poor visability. We eventually set up at 12.30 on the edge of a large wood with another wood across the field. We had seen birds down feeding hard and walked them off. We set up with ten birds two on the magnet and waited . The first birds to return were in a flock of at least one hundred birds and as the day before only a few commited to the decoys and after the shot went back into the woods. We had a number of game shoots around us and they would lift the complete flock out of the woods and we would get another two for the total. We finished shooting at 15.30 and picked up fortyone birds but DB had a call to remind him he was going out so we threw it all in the disco and drove home I took a picture in the garage with the birds laid out for cooling.

bce70d0a-48de-4c6d-806e-9940a4f575c7_zps

d431524a-d94f-4b44-9174-c4ac5e162d0c_zps

95fc32fd-2031-4139-9bb4-e54363c3f3fa_zps

Excellent

When you say frozen pigeons on lofted cradles do you use dead pigeons lofted into trees ??

yes, I freeze them on a cradle that then screws into the top of my lofting poles, the cradle makes them look like sitting pigeons. I keep them on the cradle and refreeze to use again.

Edited by pigeon controller

pigeon controller, on 07 Jan 2017 - 10:26 PM, said:

yes, I freeze them on a cradle that then screws into the top of my lofting poles, the cradle makes them look like sitting pigeons. I keep them on the cradle and refreeze to use again.

ingenious !

3 decent knocks at them in them conditions pc

What a great idea, I'd like to see a picture of them in action

As requested, this one is a bit tatty now as its been re frozen about five times. By the time the birds can inspect it they should have felt the lead. This time of year with the crops frozen to the ground they are looking for birds in the trees at first light but as I reported for Fridays shoot it gave me the edge as they were looking to sitt in trees before feeding.

IMG_0835_zpsttbvecmw.jpg

As requested, this one is a bit tatty now as its been re frozen about five times. By the time the birds can inspect it they should have felt the lead. This time of year with the crops frozen to the ground they are looking for birds in the trees at first light but as I reported for Fridays shoot it gave me the edge as they were looking to sitt in trees before feeding.

IMG_0835_zpsttbvecmw.jpg

Cheers for sharing PC, I've used my flapper in a tree with success but never thought of this, think

I'll have a go in February when Roosting 👍