Which rifle for Rabbit...help needed

12boreblue

Budget is important , but you have to be able to shoot whatever you get, accurately enough to cleanly dispatch your quarry.

Spring guns are cheaper than pre charged guns but generally not as easy to shoot accurately.

Everyone has their own preference , but a HW95K,.177 spring gun, or a Air Arms s200,177 pcp will perform as well as you can shoot them.

They would be my choice anyway.

My apologies.. I have purchased a Hatsan Edgar Brothers 900x spring loaded .177 and put a decent scope on it. Hoping to zero it in at about 30 yards this week. Couldn't resist it!! My budget was £150...if the permission has plenty of Rabbit will upgrade to a multi shot gas or similar, budget will be £200-£300. Or may go even higher if budget permits.

Thx Guys.

Air Arms S410 .177. flat trajectory, good range out to 35 yards ,great penetration with heavy hunting pellets, fit a good telescopic sight and learn to read windage and range, you cant go wrong, I only have the S400 but I fitted an engineered 8 shot magazine to it, I had some very good rabbit shooting at the time and took 64 rabbits in 4 visits, my technique was to watch them, pick the most dense feeding areas, get in and set up a hide around 2.30 in the afternoon, stay absolutely quiet until I had numerous targets out feeding in range, I found I could take up to 3 before they would spook and go underground, then wait 20 minutes they would reappear, I would not collect dead rabbits at all as moving around would stop them coming out for some time,the live rabbits would climb over the dead ones to get back into the feeding area, I would only select full grown or well developed young ones , head shots were preferred with the small pellet going right through the head and out the other side,

Sadly in 2014 the whole area was hit with mixxy and the entire rabbit population was wiped out, they made a brief recovery in 2015 but once again mixxy cleared them and that was the last I have seen on the whole of the once prolific area.

I still get the odd pigeon or rabbit but I now concentrated on pigeons with the shotgun as its more productive. :lol::lol:

Edited by lakeside1000