I am bonkers

Mightymariner

I've been out twice in the last week, pigeon shooting.

Twice, I've sat in the cold, and not fired a shot.

I am going out again this week.

You can only shoot what's on the field , no birds , no set up.

But there again your a pigeon shooter , we are all Bonkers?????

Edited by pigeon controller

Not even fired a shot, wow you must be dedicated!! Are there no birds on the field when you arrive, have you seen any flightlines into the field?

I went out on rape yesterday and ended up with 13 which I was disappointed with to be honest, though it was thick fog all morning and not ideal conditions.

I used to shoot over two farms on the Norfolk coast where the average bag was 5 birds for around 5 hours shooting, on one occasion my son came on a visit from California on the promise of some pigeons, we sat for 5 ish hours and had 3 shots between us, one jackdaw and one feral pigeon, I had the jackdaw and we both fired at the same moment on the feral and so we called it half each.

So he flew 10,000 mile round trip to get 1/2 a pigeon, he was not too impressed.

I did make up for it on his last visit when we had 53 pigeons between us on some rape stubble.

So I know just how you feel but its good to get out, breath some fresh air and enjoy nature, your luck will change just persevere , you obviously do your reconnaissance and try to get into the right place, its just doing it at the right time, good luck. :lol::lol:

Being out and about is most of the fun for me, I don't care if I bag 0, 1 or 100 (maybe a little exaggeration, I'd like to bag 100)

Its the same for me I'm just saying most of mg out and about time seems to be watching flight lines and woods to improve my bags and give me the best odds of achieving it

Time is the biggest problem with a lot of pigeon shooters , if you are working all the week and the only time available is Saturday you are likely to go , there might be a few on the ground and several sitting in the trees but with the lack of time you have had during the week you haven't had time to do any home work , such as walking them off and weigh up what they do from then onwards .

So then on arrival , rain or shine , all you want to do is set up and start shooting because you have only got a few hours before you have got to pack up and head back home.

This might be might work in your favour on odd days but the majority of your time I am afraid as far as shooting pigeons go then yes you are wasting your time , but then again , if you are enjoying a few hours in the countryside and don't mind only getting the odd shot that's really is all that matters.

Then we go to the other end of the scale where time isn't any problem , because of the amount of wildfowling and game shooting I am involved in during the Winter months I do very little ( if any ) pigeon shooting up until February , then it is Saturdays afternoon roost shooting and keeping a eye on the Rape.

I all ready know where a nice lot of pigeons are working on one or two of the large amount of rape fields we have got in the area , so when I start again , I would normally get to the fields about mid morning , walk any pigeons of and sit in the comfort of my motor with a coffee and wait and weigh up there reactions , if after a short while they start heading back then all well and good , I will wait till the conditions are in my favour and have a few hours decoying .

If they don't come back I will move on another field and repeat the same process as the last field , this might go on for two or three hours until I find a field where it is worth the effort of lugging the gear over a wet field and try and shoot a few pigeons. even then I will still wait a day or two till the weather is fairly fine and DRY .

If you one of those who have got the time and the land to go on and are prepared to sit around on a cold , wet day for nothing then yes I agree with some of the above posts , you are BONKERS :lol:

Due to a really bad back at the moment, I can only go where I can drive to the hide position, set up, hide the car, shoot for a couple of hours then pack up and get back home in the warm, It does not stop me going out but it really limits my ability to get decent numbers.

Out last week on a normally productive rape field, 50 or so lifted and went away as I arrived, but did not come back.

One shot for 3 hours sitting in the cold and I even missed that one as it passed overhead and I couldn't get the gun up quick enough, its all very frustrating but I cannot give up as I enjoy it too much,

Perhaps a short break is in order until the weather warms a little or I get a little more mobile, Whatever happens I will be out driving around and watching where they are and what they are feeding on so I am ready when things get better,

As for the wild fowling this year I can only say I'm out for a duck LOL :lol::lol:

I went out today, a field I'd seen 2 days ago with a strong flightline needed attention.

I would have gone on Saturday but it was the wives birthday.

I should have gone on Saturday as today they had all decided to use another farmers field that I don't have permission to shoot. They flew merrily back and fort in ones and twos every minute or so.

I was a bit annoyed so went home and cleaned the chickens out before having a beer.

There's always another day I guess.

Edited by GingerCat

I went out today, a field I'd seen 2 days ago with a strong flightline needed attention.

I would have gone on Saturday but it was the wives birthday.

I should have gone on Saturday as today they had all decided to use another farmers field that I don't have permission to shoot. They flew merrily back and fort in ones and twos every minute or so.

I was a bit annoyed so went home and cleaned the chickens out before having a beer.

There's always another day I guess.

And another beer!!