Wild wet flight

m greeny

I dont do many reports but here goes. I set out with not very high hopes as after a great start and mid season we hit december and things have gone down hill rapidly with just an odd duck here and there finding its way in to the game bag. The weather was wild with 40 mph wind and driving rain with the high tide an hour after day break conditions were ideal for the marsh i shot. I threw 8 decoys out and went to pour a brew and already a small group of duck were over the decoys so chucked the flask and got ready. In the half light a group of 3 birds came on and i was gutted i clean missed. Then a pair came and i dropped a pintail with my first shot which the dog brought straight back. Next 3 teal caght me by suprise and were missed. For the next half hour the action was thick and fast with singles pairs and small groups of pintail all coming for a look at the decoys and i was just taking out a single bird each time as it was that rough by the time the dog brought the bird back i didnt want to risk losing a bird. I ended up with a nice bag of 10 pintail then put the gun away and finally had that brew and just sat and watched as pack after pack of duck all came for a look at the decoys with some landing and just driting off with the tide. I wonder where all the duck have appeared from as they have been scarce for weeks but i am not complaing as it was a good flight with the little spaniel working her socks off in the rough water and doing me proud. I have tried to upload a picture but it says its to big so will have to ask the wife nicely when she comes home if she can do it for me.

Edited by m greeny

Well done ( m greeny ) on your excellent report and your superb flight , to get 10 Pintail round these parts now in a flight would be nigh on impossible these days as on average we only get around 100 come on the estuary each year , why that is , I don't know as all the other duck on the list are about in good numbers apart from Mallard which are not rare by no means but are a bit thin on the ground compared to Widgeon and Teal .

Sounds like the stuff real wildfowling memories are made of. Well done. With pintail its so often the case that until you have a stormy day you do not know how many there are on your marsh. Many of them spend the day far out on the muds and just let the tide lift them up , swim around for an hour or two and then get left high and dry again on the muds and carry on feeding. In a gale they can no longer sit in the sea and have to come into the marsh at high tide. I can remember a day on the Wash when after 5 days I never saw more than a dozen pintail at flight and then we had a rough tide and there were at least 3,000 on the marsh.

Edited by anser2