Dead Game Found ( Again )

marsh man

I don't think a lot of people know what to do and are not bothered about eating it, there's a lot of wealthy lads in my area that have decided to take up game shooting with out the foggiest clue of gun safety and respect that I was brought up to have with a shotgun,

It's all most a fashion thing now going on a pheasant shoot and wearing all the gear

We had a young lad beating, he was carrying 4 dead pheasants over a style, he just throw the birds over the style onto the floor. I said to him to show a bit of respect to the birds. He could not understand as he replied to me that they are "dead" Edited by reggiegun

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

We had a young lad beating, he was carrying 4 dead pheasants over a style, he just throw the birds over the style onto the floor. I said to him to show a bit of respect to the birds. He could not understand as he replied to me that they are "dead"

Yeah I've always been taught To respect my quarry

We had a young lad beating, he was carrying 4 dead pheasants over a style, he just throw the birds over the style onto the floor. I said to him to show a bit of respect to the birds. He could not understand as he replied to me that they are "dead"

well said !!! Did he 'get' the concept in the end?

I don't think a lot of people know what to do and are not bothered about eating it, there's a lot of wealthy lads in my area that have decided to take up game shooting with out the foggiest clue of gun safety and respect that I was brought up to have with a shotgun,

It's all most a fashion thing now going on a pheasant shoot and wearing all the gear

I fully agree with you Royboy there are still a lot of well off people about but sadly I am not one of them , we had a day where there dad treated the team to a days game shooting as part of a stag party , and just recently we had a team of young lads who were all invited for a day as part of a 21st birthday present .

Also as all ready mentioned ,we notice not so many people take a brace home with them nowadays , the main excuse is they have already got enough or they are not going home for a few days , they never speak the truth and say they cant be bothered to pluck them , or haven't got the time :yes:

I fully agree with you Royboy there are still a lot of well off people about but sadly I am not one of them , we had a day where there dad treated the team to a days game shooting as part of a stag party , and just recently we had a team of young lads who were all invited for a day as part of a 21st birthday present .

Also as all ready mentioned ,we notice not so many people take a brace home with them nowadays , the main excuse is they have already got enough or they are not going home for a few days , they never speak the truth and say they cant be bothered to pluck them , or haven't got the time :yes:

Or haven't got a clue ! How you can't find time to do the old pulling legs trick is beyond me !

I think your mate meant £30 for 100 fresh shot pigeons .

If you are anywhere near me Wb123 get in touch and you can have a brace of Pheasants for free .

A very kind offer, sadly I'm in Northern Ireland so nowhere near. That said if you ever find yourself with too many to know what to do with I would gladly pay for a box to be sent over so I can stuff the freezer.

all people want today is to run in Tesco or asda and get what they want in a bag.

roys of wroxham is the only store I have seen selling pheasant, partridge and pigeon`s.

I work with a young lad and he turns his nose up at anything I eat and he only eats chicken.

I think this is the biggest problem these days.

I myself have never been on a shoot but love it when my mate does because he quite often brings me a brace.

I do pigeon and rabbit shoot and love that I have shot and put to use what I have shot

we had a day where there dad treated the team to a days game shooting as part of a stag party , and just recently we had a team of young lads who were all invited for a day as part of a 21st birthday present .

Were they experienced shooters? or if not, how does that work?

Genuine question

:shaun:

Were they experienced shooters? or if not, how does that work?

Genuine question

:shaun:

Hi shaun , Good question ...... One of the stipulations when the estate manager send a new team of guns the paper work is to make sure they are all safe , insured and have got up a to date S G C, if the answer is yes to all the questions we will let them get on with it without any help or assistance , if on the other hand they say one or two might need some help as they have only shot clays or only just got there S G C then we will get one of our team to stand with them on there pegs to help them with bird identity and to point out at what ones to fire at , but mainly to make sure they follow all the safety aspects when handling a shot gun . up to now this has worked out well and touch wood we have never had a accident .

As for the stag party team , they have been here twice ( not the same groom :yes: ) and they were perfectly safe , we did wonder how they would be in the morning after a night out , but apart from the odd skull ache they seemed fine and we all had an enjoyable day .

The 21st birthday party treat was provided by the father who was the brother in law of my boss , so it was a bit of a family concern , all the boys were around the same age and looked like they had some good safety grounding from there parents , although they were safe , they were never going to be a threat to the Pheasant and Partridge population on the Norfolk / Suffolk border :lol:

What do you do with carcasses of shot birds? I hang mine for a good while, then tend to just Breast them out, but I'm left with a couple of brace of various carcasses to dispose of I just sling them on the compost heap. Digging a hole stops seeming like a good idea when you have shot a few geese.

On a fire or in a pit on private land. Occasionally black bag tied up and in a public bin

On my way to work this morning I drove through lechlade then turned left on the A417.I noticed a black bin bag on the pavement about couple of hundred yards from the village and looked like pheasant feathers.

So on the way home had a proper look by this time someone had opened the bag and horrified.....there was about 10 brace still with the string around the necks...What a bunch of muppets😡😡.No wonder shooting gets a bad name.

Edited by the crowman

It might be worth pausing for a moment before we whip ourselves into too much of a lather about this.

Almost always the "source" of the story printed by the paper is an anti intent on generating hostility towards shooting.

I don`t actually know of any shoot that dumps game. Do you?

I don't know the shoot but read my post.

I`m always slightly mystified why, having shot a bag of pheasants in a private woodland setting our "dumpers" should go to all the trouble of bagging them up, removing them from the shoot where they could have dumped them in a wood - never to be found, and then fly tipping them in such a way that discovery by the public is almost certain and could injure the long term future of shooting itself.

Game shooters! You`ve got to love `em!

I`m always slightly mystified why, having shot a bag of pheasants in a private woodland setting our "dumpers" should go to all the trouble of bagging them up, removing them from the shoot where they could have dumped them in a wood - never to be found, and then fly tipping them in such a way that discovery by the public is almost certain and could injure the long term future of shooting itself.

That's because it's probably not game shooters.

I am always surprised when I see the amount of cartridges and wads washed up from wildfowlers sometimes but also know they don't always come from that source.

On my way to work this morning I drove through lechlade then turned left on the A417.I noticed a black bin bag on the pavement about couple of hundred yards from the village and looked like pheasant feathers.

So on the way home had a proper look by this time someone had opened the bag and horrified.....there was about 10 brace still with the string around the necks...What a bunch of muppets😡😡.No wonder shooting gets a bad name.

Could it be a bag of breasted out pheasants?

Edited by dodeer

On my opening post I did say a number of black bin liners full of Pheasants , I haven't still got the paper but I am pretty sure it was eight bags , how many was in each bag ? , I haven't got a clue and it didn't say , maybe a member in my area saw it as well and might have some more information.

We did hear from the above posts that some game dealers are no longer taking game , well without the outlet of game dealers the numbers of game looking for a market would be mind boggling , as an example , some of our beaters are on commercial shoots 3 to 4 days a week and if it wasn't for some shoots clashing on the same day they could easily go beating every day of the week

Most of the shoots around here are between 150 and 300 bird day , with the odd one bigger than that , like the one my boss went on three weeks ago that was a 500 bird day.

One of the big game dealers in mid Norfolk deal in 1000s rather than100s and on a Sunday morning you often have to join a queue , the work force is mainly Eastern Europeans who do nothing but process game and last July when I took my pigeons up there most of them had gone back home for there holidays.

Speaking to the owner , I asked the chap , do you get enough pigeons in to keep them in work , he laughed and said they still had 15.000 Pheasants to do before the coming season when it start all over again.

So you can see if the dealers were full up and couldn't take any more the shoot owners would have a serious problem on there hands .

I would like to see all guns that don't take at least two brace pay a fine, maybe donate the money to the game to eat campaign - there by putting money into promoting game food.

OR just take the pheasants, breast them out and cook them up that very evening in some red current jelly - aint rocket science.

That's because it's probably not game shooters.

I am always surprised when I see the amount of cartridges and wads washed up from wildfowlers sometimes but also know they don't always come from that source.

Could it be a bag of breasted out pheasants?

Went past again today....and the birds are hole.

I would like to see all guns that don't take at least two brace pay a fine, maybe donate the money to the game to eat campaign - there by putting money into promoting game food.

OR just take the pheasants, breast them out and cook them up that very evening in some red current jelly - aint rocket science.

Why on earth should someone who has bought a days shooting be forced to pay a fine for a product the shoot should be disposing of.

It is the shoots responsibility to find a home for the bag, not the gun.

At one time the guns were given a brace of oven ready birds at the end of the day ( Pheasants or Partridges ) when they came in the game larder to give the keeper his tip , that days bag would all go to the dealers with a request for say 10 brace of each to be processed and delivered back to the estate ready for the next shoot. even so , you still got some who didn't want them or they preferred duck or Woodcock still in the feather , sometimes you just cant win .