Dead Game Found ( Again )

marsh man

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Two days ago I took 43 pigeons to the game dealer and he gave me 15p each for them.

The following day I was in the game larder of the shoot I host on complaining about it when the keeper told me that he was getting 10p for his partridges.

At this time of the year getting 15p for presuming they were fresh Pigeons is pretty poor and 10p for Partridges is a joke really , but we are now back to what do we do with game surplus to requirements ? gone are the days when we got the same price for game throughout the season . It started off where the dealer paid a bit less at the beginning of the season , the same in the middle and a little bit more at the end , How things change.....

motty suggested taking them to the food banks , good idea , although that might not be as easy as it sounds with all the health and hygiene regulations in operation and would someone try and sue the provider if they choked after swallowing a bit of shot ? .

But how much are these game dealers trying to sell the game for?

I know a lass who paid 6 quid for a rabbit a few years ago of a butcher near glasgow.

It wouldn't surprise me if game dealers are trying to limit numbers to keep prices artificially high.

I've heard £1 being charged to pluck and clean birds so by rights dealers should be able to sell them on for as little as £1-1.50 that is a very cheap source of meat if it was sold to supermarkets.

Ps Mice For all dogs should know the difference between game and food feeding raw game carcasses might not be the best idea, but absolutely no reason they couldn't go to the pet food factory to be made in to dry feed

Edited by scotslad

Carcasses from breasted game would not be used for pet food as they contain lead shot and also consist of a high proportion of feathers unlike poultry waste which has been de feathered.

Waste from game dealers has low value and can be more expensive to have processed due to lead shot,low fat content and generally poor grade finished product compared to other animal by-products.

The quantities of waste game carcasses produced is quite amazing and I know last year one company was finding it very difficult to find a processor and this means disposal costs can be high,though I wouldn't know how much per bird this would be.

I`m always slightly mystified why, having shot a bag of pheasants in a private woodland setting our "dumpers" should go to all the trouble of bagging them up, removing them from the shoot where they could have dumped them in a wood - never to be found, and then fly tipping them in such a way that discovery by the public is almost certain and could injure the long term future of shooting itself.

Game shooters! You`ve got to love `em!

A bit like bagging up dog poo and then lobbing it in a hedge, preserved forever! I've been told that our local game dealer is giving nothing for pigeons and very little for game, reason being Eastern European birds flooding the market, it's only what I was told second hand so I've go no facts to back it up!

I heard today about a large game processing company which signed up for a contract with M&S. For every 15 processed and packaged bird which was accepted for sale 85 were rejected.

The company has now gone bust.

Probably rejected for having ripped skin from plucking, but the general public don't realise this will be a younger bird and melt in the mouth

I know of a local estate a couple of years ago that where getting lots of rejected birds and eventually that dealer stopped taking them as the birds were to small (usually Kansas X birds on that shoot) so possibly this modern thing of these smaller high flying birds not helping either.

I think the dealer cut off was 1kg from memory.

I know of a local estate a couple of years ago that where getting lots of rejected birds and eventually that dealer stopped taking them as the birds were to small (usually Kansas X birds on that shoot) so possibly this modern thing of these smaller high flying birds not helping either.

I think the dealer cut off was 1kg from memory.

Whitfield shoot very light birds, but the Elks Head serves them to diners. Dad recently shot at a big Yorkshire estate and the cock bird in his brace was 3lb 9oz. Other end of the spectrum and like a supermarket chicken plucked! My point is they all taste good whatever the size. Edited by guest1957

Whitfield shoot very light birds, but the Elks Head serves them to diners. Dad recently shot at a big Yorkshire estate and the cock bird in his brace was 3lb 9oz. Other end of the spectrum and like a supermarket chicken plucked! My point is they all taste good whatever the size.

Aye not going to argue with that but from the dealers//processors point of view costs the exact same to pluck and dress a birds but less to sell esp as most will be sold by the ;lb/kg.

Have heard the same with munties some dealers refuse to take them because of there small size and skinning/butchery costs despite them often being touted as the tastiest vension.

This quality assurance BS has a lot to answer for, as no doubt many rejected birds would have nothing wrong with them that most shooters wouldn't happily eat with no ill effect or loss of taste

On my opening post I did say a number of black bin liners full of Pheasants , I haven't still got the paper but I am pretty sure it was eight bags , how many was in each bag ? , I haven't got a clue and it didn't say , maybe a member in my area saw it as well and might have some more information.

http://www.edp24.co.uk/home/ten_bin_bags_of_dead_pheasants_dumped_on_persehall_manor_farm_in_bunwell_1_4838543

I did mention it before (the dumping pigeon thread) I would be very happy to pay a sensible price for pigeon, pheasant or partridge breast as we dont get them here and I could use them in my business, it is a great shame to dump such fine meat, it could be packaged and sent RM next day delivery

No excuse for dumping, loads of places will take game, Google is a great help! Our team that run Taste of Game have been helping shoots find outlets for their shot game this year.

Whether it's collected for free or if we only get a few shillings a bird, so what?

After spending what we do on shooting and all the good conservation work that delivered, it's totally incorrect to dump game, it's simple , just as we plan cover crops, pest control, feeding regimes, dogging in, organising beaters and pickers up etc, add to the mix outlets for your game

Call me cynical if you like but I find it suspicious that the birds were dumped in bags. If they had been dumped out of bags they would have disappeared in a day or two and shooting people would know this, so I suspect they were dumped by someone in a well known fly tipping locality deliberately to be found. Also why would the shoot transport them any distance to dispose.

Edited by Yellow Bear

At one time the guns were given a brace of oven ready birds at the end of the day ( Pheasants or Partridges ) when they came in the game larder to give the keeper his tip , that days bag would all go to the dealers with a request for say 10 brace of each to be processed and delivered back to the estate ready for the next shoot. even so , you still got some who didn't want them or they preferred duck or Woodcock still in the feather , sometimes you just cant win .

I think you usually can't win.

I'm fortunate to attend some good shoots and the keepers are usually pleased as punch when there's a gun who wants a few birds - not only is there an argument that if you shoot then you should eat game, but it always seems a bit hollow when guns praise the keeper for the condition of the birds and then don't want any. If the bag permits, it's rare that I come away with less than three braces... given a choice between game and supermarket chicken, well it's not really a choice is it?

Would much prefer them in the feather though.

I think you usually can't win.

I'm fortunate to attend some good shoots and the keepers are usually pleased as punch when there's a gun who wants a few birds - not only is there an argument that if you shoot then you should eat game, but it always seems a bit hollow when guns praise the keeper for the condition of the birds and then don't want any. If the bag permits, it's rare that I come away with less than three braces... given a choice between game and supermarket chicken, well it's not really a choice is it?

Would much prefer them in the feather though.

I think some of the old boys who used to come on the estate who were the gentry of the day would have frowned upon being offered a brace of oven ready birds , but nowadays when game shooting is open to all walks of like , the younger generation are more used to buying birds ready to put straight in the oven than plucking them first , and how many would know where to start ? , so there was more chance they got eaten if they were ready for the oven than if they took them home in the feather .

They learnt to shoot... arguably not that hard to learn to prepare a bird, especially in these days of internet and youube! Hell, my son (7) knows how it's done and often helps out (he asked to learn) even though he doesn't want to shoot live quarry.

Firm believer that if you're going to shoot for sport then you should be able and willing to prepare and eat game, or at least find some a good home, so hats off to you Swinton.

Call me cynical if you like but I find it suspicious that the birds were dumped in bags. If they had been dumped out of bags they would have disappeared in a day or two and shooting people would know this, so I suspect they were dumped by someone in a well known fly tipping locality deliberately to be found.

Unlikely ! They were only found because the hedge was being cut back . The location is quiet and well off the beaten track , I think some lazy ** just lobbed them out of a car into the hedge/long grass .

post-72278-0-73276700-1484512892_thumb.png

Edited by wascal

Unlikely ! They were only found because the hedge was being cut back . The location is quiet and well off the beaten track , I think some lazy ** just lobbed them out of a car into the hedge/long grass .

The bag I found was on a foot path and in full veiw of a walker and anyone driving by.🤔🤔🤔🤔🤔🤔🤔 Edited by the crowman