Uncle Tom fox attractor

Essex Keeper

Steve that does work !! I just haven't the time

This Uncle Tom stuff is probley the same but £10 bottle it did me well no hassle

Mayby I'm being lazy

I usually make a few gallons at a time. I've got around 1 gallon left, and a large carrier bag of hoof clippings ready to make the next batch. Finding the time, and the inclination to do it is the thing though.

I would have thought that the 'Fox Attractor' is made from the glands of the Fox (probably a synthetic make)

Update the guy still makes it so got myself 4 bottles

Happy days

Steve this stuff smells like death as soon as fox is down wind it's like a magnet it just turns and comes in

Works really well with night vision no calling just watch him come to the spot

Edited by Essex Keeper

Happy days

Steve this stuff smells like death as soon as fox is down wind it's like a magnet it just turns and comes in

Out of interest have you got a link to this please?

Thanks

Mick

Happy days

The fox lure I make stinks like hell too, and has a good success rate in attracting foxes. I usually spray a little bit further away from where I want to fox to come in, and a load more at the kill zone. It cost's me nothing to make, apart from my camping stove gas. It can also be made by just soaking hoof clippings in water, but takes longer.

The fox lure I make stinks like hell too, and has a good success rate in attracting foxes. I usually spray a little bit further away from where I want to fox to come in, and a load more at the kill zone. It cost's me nothing to make, apart from my camping stove gas. It can also be made by just soaking hoof clippings in water, but takes longer.

What's up with the hob ???

You chicken. Lol

Sure you'll be ok while the Mrs pops out to do the shopping.

Out of interest have you got a link to this please?

Thanks

Mick

No only a mobile number

I'm just lazy or busy I will do it one day

I need a source for clippings first :) I can just imagine the idea going down well here. I had major complaints about having to step over a dead fox on the way to work this week without starting to cook up smelly stuff. Wouldn't mind trying a bottle of the 'Uncle tom'.

How do you make the stuff with hoof clippings and how's best to use it? ie do you use multiple site or just one or two and how often do you top it up?

Cheers john

Contact a Farrier if there's one local to you. Ask him/her to keep you some horse hoof clippings. (a carrier bag full would be good) The best bits are the 'frog' which is the soft inner part of the nail, but any will do. The clippings are placed in clean water in a galvanised bucket (outdoors!) and then boiled up. The liquid is then saved in containers (I use 5 ltr ones) and stored. The longer it's stored, the better, and if it's left in direct sunlight (?) then that help it to ferment.

I bottle the liquid into a spray type one, and then just spray it where you want the Fox to come in. I also spray a very small amount further away from my where I want to shoot the fox, and create a trail. Another method is to soak some old rags in the liquid and place them in an airtight container. Place the container on the ground and just take the lid off.

This is a very pungent smell and has worked well for me. Be careful not to get it on your hands because it's hell to remove.

Thanks for that got a supply of clippings. How long do they need boiling for?

Cheers john

As long as you like, although I tend to boil them for around one hour. Keep a lid or board on top of the bucket so that most of the steam drips back in. Do this outdoors.

When putting the liquid in containers, add a few of the clippings. The longer it's stored, the more pungent the smell.

You can also make this using cold water, but it takes longer, and in my opinion, is not as pungent. Leaving the liquid in a warm place, or direct sunshine helps speed up the process. You shouldn't get any gases released when stored.

As I mentioned earlier, pouring some liquid onto old rags placed in an airtight container works well. Just place the container at your chosen site, and remove the lid.

Go to try this, got the feelers out for horse nail clippings.

What you guys put in a couple of good handfuls of clippings to 3/4 pints of water?

Mick

There's no exact measurements, but the more clippings you add, the stronger the mix. I usually put 1/2 carrier bag of clippings to 1.5 gallons of water, which allows for evaporation. When storing the liquid, I put some of the clippings into the container. It's best if you can leave the liquid for a few months, as this helps with the 'flavour'.