RFD Transfer, how does that work?

buze

I assume I might have to show one if asked. Might not, but if you don't have it and it's asked....

I can't ever imagine anyone is going to ask you. You're much more likely to be asked to provide your insurance, over a SGC.

If you're worried, keep a photocopy on you. I'd personally recommend having a photocopy than ruin your licence on a rainy or muddy day.

Some bright spark once decided that shooters would be best off with a paper licence :rolleyes:

Edited by Billy.

[quote name="Billy." post="3196367"

Some bright spark once decided that shooters would be best off with a paper licence :rolleyes:

Unbelievable really that we don't have cards. The sooner there is a credit card style licence the better!

Even if dealers had to buy a card reader it could negate the need for one for one variations and loads of paperwork immediately.

FAC could then be granted with calibres grouped together and the whole process streamlined.

Wishful thinking though.

Edd

Hi Buze

RFD to RFD is the easiest way to proceed.

Do not forget both RFD's will charge, and as Billy has said it could be £25.00 each way which is average but can be more.

It is easy and not a pain, I have done many times.

Follow the BASC guidelines and you will have full backup , especially if you are a BASC member.

Regards

Terry

As for non RFDs sending a gun then you should read the prohibited items list of the couriers.

Firearms can only be sent with the relevant conditions on the account.

Edd

Anyone can send firearms via the Post Office/Parcelforce as long as you send them to someone authorised to receive them, ie. an RFD not just an SGC/FAC holder.

Guns for sporting use.

Guns intended for sporting purposes - including Section 1 (e.g. hunting rifles) and Section 2 (e.g. shotguns) firearms, low-powered air weapons and their component parts - may be sent in compliance with UK law and subject to domestic controls on the possession of firearms. Antiques, deactivated and imitation firearms are also permitted.

When sending deactivated firearms include proof of deactivation. Items that appear to be prohibited weapons may be subject to additional checks and delays.

Please see www.royalmail.com/business/prohibitedgoods

Use 1st Class as the minimum service. The sender’s name and address must be clearly visible on the outer packaging.

https://business.help.royalmail.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/898/~/restricted-goods---uk

Edited by phaedra1106

Unbelievable really that we don't have cards. The sooner there is a credit card style licence the better!

Even if dealers had to buy a card reader it could negate the need for one for one variations and loads of paperwork immediately.

FAC could then be granted with calibres grouped together and the whole process streamlined.

Wishful thinking though.

Edd

The problem with a card system - when placed against current legislation - is that certificate holders couldn't make the very transaction that the OP posted about.

When I have transferred a gun I take it to my local RFD, he removes it from my license onto his account then it gets sent via whoever, and the new owner gets it put onto his license from his RFD.

I pay £30 which I consider good value , especially when they have to spend time doing paperwork, and box it up.

The above is the sensible way.although it depends on what you are buying.i for one would not send a few thousand pounds to someone I don't know for a gun I had never seen.take a day and drive to the gun could save a lot of upset in the long run .

Very true. Any purchase over say £150 I drive and meet the person. Learnt my lesson when I lost £1600 to a scum bag who took my money and never had the goods

The problem with a card system - when placed against current legislation - is that certificate holders couldn't make the very transaction that the OP posted about.

The card system can be easily sorted the tech is out there all rfd' are by Euro law required to keep an electronic register now so all have pc and a network connection, a card reader is a few £ and if you can make credit card payments with an iPhone why not a gun transaction? The card doesn't have to contain any data just reference an online db which you can update on a mobile phone very easily!

Anyone can send firearms via the Post Office/Parcelforce as long as you send them to someone authorised to receive them, ie. an RFD not just an SGC/FAC holder.

Guns for sporting use.

Guns intended for sporting purposes - including Section 1 (e.g. hunting rifles) and Section 2 (e.g. shotguns) firearms, low-powered air weapons and their component parts - may be sent in compliance with UK law and subject to domestic controls on the possession of firearms. Antiques, deactivated and imitation firearms are also permitted.

When sending deactivated firearms include proof of deactivation. Items that appear to be prohibited weapons may be subject to additional checks and delays.

Please see www.royalmail.com/business/prohibitedgoods

Use 1st Class as the minimum service. The senders name and address must be clearly visible on the outer packaging.

https://business.help.royalmail.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/898/~/restricted-goods---uk

Fine if posting a pistol but the 61cm max package length is a bit of an issue....... especially for rifles..........

https://personal.help.royalmail.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/89#

Edited by HDAV

No they aren't the government U turn and didn't bring it in about a week before the deadline.

I don't know that! I guess a lot did already though, shame in a way as it would have paved the way for smart certificates.

Begs the question why the other day I had to fill out (guy behind till entered it into a computer) loads of information buy a box a of carts......

I don't know that! I guess a lot did already though, shame in a way as it would have paved the way for smart certificates.

Begs the question why the other day I had to fill out (guy behind till entered it into a computer) loads of information buy a box a of carts......

That's because of the shops requirement. Now most of us bought software that's expensive to meet the requirement early as 1 Jan was the date and therefore once the requirement was dropped over Christmas week well it was too late we'd already spent the time and money to convert.

To back Welshwarrior up there is not requirement at present for an RFD to maintain an electronic system. In theory a paper ledger is still possible. Point of sale software is useful (essential??) in a shop but individual RFD's don't need this. An Excel SS helps of course...or rather OpenOffice (ahem).

• 4 years later...

I am leaving France for good and want to bring my old UK  air rifle back. I read the Dep for IT and it indicated in its notice 2944 July this year - I didn't,  re para 42 being not in excess of 12 ft pounds. Do you know if I still need a RFD of can I simple bring it back in the car? any thoughts please