Uber cabs

dodeer

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm no longer in the business,

but are you not just a self employed 'private hire' owner/driver and paying to be on their circuit ?

You still got all the hassle of licensing and insuring your own car.

I can remember there was a bit of furore because Ubers rates were so low that drivers questioned wether it was possible to turn a profit ? (Maybe it becomes much more dependant on volume of work ?)

More recently I believe there was a legal challenge by some Uber driver as to wether they were in fact Uber employees and therefore entitled to paid holidays, sick pay, pensions etc.

If it seems like it's a to good to be true deal, then it probably is.

There's also been recent bad press where Uber have doubled or tripled fares in areas affected by Southern Rails strike action.

I have always wondered how much your insurance goes up, as you are going into the 'hire and reward' category.

Think 3x - 4x

I'm no longer in the business,

but are you not just a self employed 'private hire' owner/driver and paying to be on their circuit ?

You still got all the hassle of licensing and insuring your own car.

There's also been recent bad press where Uber have doubled or tripled fares in areas affected by Southern Rails strike action.

That's sort of the point of the app higher he demand the higher the fare....so massive demand = massive fare!

Same would be the case after a large event such as a concert.

Don't forget you would need to get your PCO licence, medical and get your car MOTd twice a year. Private hire insurance is about £50 a week (in greater London anyway.)

Maybe that's just in London though. :hmm:

Edited by walshie

They have just started up round my way, from what the drivers say it is great in the early days but when the area gets flooded with cabs it gets very competitive.

Most of them have drifted out from the west of London to get more fare.

Did you know they get 12 seconds to hit the button to accept a request then it goes to the next driver?

A lot of uber cabs in London don't have hire and reward insurance. They take it out for a week to get the licence and produce it, but then cancel it and just run on ordinary third party only insurance.

The money they get is so low that its impossible to operate legitimately, pay the bills and maintain the car properly. The drivers and the cars are the pits but hey! Its cheap

As for the driver, its only a phone based app that sends him work you cannot be sure that the driver and the car are the proper ones and its not just a friend or relative that's borrowed the phone for the night to go and earn a few quid in his own car

Edited by Vince Green

Don't forget you would need to get your PCO licence, medical and get your car MOTd twice a year. Private hire insurance is about £50 a week (in greater London anyway.)

Maybe that's just in London though. :hmm:

A lot of the Uber cabs working in London aren't licenced in London. They are often licenced in places like Slough and Luton, even Bedford but if they drive into London and switch the app on Uber will give them jobs to do. The app doesn't recognise licensing areas apparently so I am told.

Definitely way cheaper and I found them spot on. Use them whenever I am down in London.

I heard from a buddy in Hungary that the Hungarian authorities kicked Uber out of Hungary as they undercut the local cab companies too much.

Story goes that most local cab businesses are owned by local government officials ....the coffers took a hit & subsequently Uber got ejected from there.

Whatever else may be true, but I guarantee they will take over your local area as the leading cab service

They have revolutionised the london taxi market

They will and that's what they intend to do. Uber is owned by Google (bankrolled by Goldman Sachs) and is being run at a massive loss at the moment to get the App up to world domination level by deliberately undercutting and killing off the opposition.

Its got very little to do with taxis and everything to do with building the app. Its quite Orwellian really, once they 'take over the world' in terms of the taxi trade you can bet the cheap fares will go out of the window

They will and that's what they intend to do. Uber is owned by Google (bankrolled by Goldman Sachs) and is being run at a massive loss at the moment to get the App up to world domination level by deliberately undercutting and killing off the opposition.

Its got very little to do with taxis and everything to do with building the app. Its quite Orwellian really, once they 'take over the world' in terms of the taxi trade you can bet the cheap fares will go out of the window

I completely agree. As long as they can afford to hold out whilst the competition goes bust they can control the whole market

Interesting to see what driverless cars do to the taxi market though.

I've heard on the radio that some drivers (who dip in and out) like the flexibility but others who do it more full time can't make enough money. I'd also be concerned about the issues raised above about insurance etc.

I use a cab so infrequently that I wouldn't even consider an uber. It's grumpy racist mastermind winning taxi drivers for me every time.

Black Cab drivers hate them and are on a mission to stamp them out as they are all "rapists who work for ISIS" - Their words not mine.

They don't so much undercut them - It's more like a slaughter with my journey home around £120 in a Black Cab and maybe £40 in an Uber - Give them the post code and fall asleep in the back.

There is a massive downside to them over CRB/DBS checks, insurance, roadworthiness of vehicles etc but they are cheap, take a credit card, will go south of the river and are plentiful at beer o'clock when they're needed.

Whatever you choose to believe Uber is massive rocket up traditional cab companies.

I have used the local ones 3 times, once at 30 minutes after midnight on New Years day, even then they arrived in 10 minutes and 'only' charged double the normal fare - which is less than I expected.

The last five Xmas periods I cabbed we were restricted to 50% extra because so many asian firms were undercutting firms charging the orthodox double rate.