Proposal to increase club firearm certificate fees

Sussexboy

Considering that nearly all club members have their own weapons and certificates this is completely unjustified. I will send to my club and to one of the son in laws to send to his club. They will probably know but sometimes this stuff slips past and isn't known about until it is too late.

True all members may have their own guns and certificate but without the club licence that allows non certificate probationary members to shoot how would a club continue to recruite new members?

The increases are massive was not the original idea behind licences that they benefit society as a whole and hence part of costs should be met by all.

Unless I am misunderstanding the document it is just as well expanding ammo section 5 is about to go back to section 1 as a licence for a courier/carrier to transport it is to go from free to £1220.00

The document looks to say the main users of section 5 weapons are police and military so is it not logical if you make the supply chain have to pay these high fees to be able to supply the police and military then all they will do is pass the costs on to the police and military I.e, the tax payers.

Unless I am misunderstanding the document it is just as well expanding ammo section 5 is about to go back to section 1 as a licence for a courier/carrier to transport it is to go from free to £1220.00

The document looks to say the main users of section 5 weapons are police and military so is it not logical if you make the supply chain have to pay these high fees to be able to supply the police and military then all they will do is pass the costs on to the police and military I.e, the tax payers.

Police and Military use will not change.

Many dealers would probably stop though.

Met a great bloke once who was a RFD out of his home and just loved to work on shotguns, did some very cheap bargains. Things like that will probably stop.

I'm not sure that what I meant got across. Quote >> "Considering that nearly all club members have their own weapons and certificates this is completely unjustified". What I meant was that nearly all members have gone through the licencing process so there is no great work to process loads of probationary shooters who have no certificate or the odd member that doesn't have their own gun. In my club there are virtually no shooters that havent got a cert and their own gun so the club inspection and cert cant take much work to process because everyone has a cert and is within the system already. If this goes through I can see the majority of clubs collapsing under the financial burden and club memberships and subs going out of bounds. I shoot 22 target and cf sporting along with game and clays. All are linked but I can see the majority of target club shooters packing it in with all sorts of ramifications for gun ownership in general and shops going down.

I'm not sure that what I meant got across. Quote >> "Considering that nearly all club members have their own weapons and certificates this is completely unjustified". What I meant was that nearly all members have gone through the licencing process so there is no great work to process loads of probationary shooters who have no certificate or the odd member that doesn't have their own gun. In my club there are virtually no shooters that havent got a cert and their own gun so the club inspection and cert cant take much work to process because everyone has a cert and is within the system already. If this goes through I can see the majority of clubs collapsing under the financial burden and club memberships and subs going out of bounds. I shoot 22 target and cf sporting along with game and clays. All are linked but I can see the majority of target club shooters packing it in with all sorts of ramifications for gun ownership in general and shops going down.

How would the police be able to "process" unlicensed probationary shooters when they don't know who they are?

As a member of a "club" am I considered a lawful occupier of the shoot land so I can let a non-licence holder shoot whilst in my company? If yes than what's the benefit of a club paying for a licence other than the ability to sell cartridges to non-licence holders.

{'m sure I must wrong as my thinking seems too straight forward.

Dear all, please see here: https://basc.org.uk/blog/press-releases/press-releases-press-releases/basc-criticises-home-offices-proposed-hike-fees/

We’ve contacted all other organisations to create a united front, put the subject on the agenda for the next BSSC meeting and will be briefing MPs and taking this up with the Home Office.

David

Edited by David BASC

other organisations have details on their sited but as in all things who actually reads these things or even thinks to go through all of the blurb to find / see this and how many actually do something about it? I found this link on the NSRA site to respond to the consultation. Part of it is a response section.

https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/583035/170110pn_Firearms_Fees_consultation_FINAL.pdf

I urge everyone to try to read this and follow the link. This is a deadly threat to shooting because the vast majority of shooting clubs just do not have the ability to pay these sort of fees and if the membership are told that the anual fee to be a club member just went up Probably £25 >> £50 on top of what they pay + shooting costs now to cover it, the majority of people will just pack up shooting. This is death by slow cuts. next on the list will be clay shooting grounds that will be priced out of existance.

Edited by fortune

This is a deadly threat to shooting because the vast majority of shooting clubs just do not have the ability to pay these sort of fees and if the membership are told that the anual fee to be a club member just went up Probably £25 >> £50 on top of what they pay + shooting costs now to cover it

While I agree it's a horrendous increase working it out for our club it would mean an increase in the annual membership of less than £2 per member, nowhere near £25-£50.

Increase from £84 to £900 = £816

Spread over life of certificate (6yrs) = £136per year

£136 divided by the number of members (in our case around 80) = £1.70 per member per year

Edited by phaedra1106

We are lucky in the we have circa 300 members in our club, so any price impact will not be significant. However I do feel for some of the smaller clubs and start ups, it is yet another hurdle to deal with.

If you are a member down that way of the Sussex club which has pistols then you may want to read the the document very carefully because your section 5 excemption may be going from free to several thousand pounds.

• 1 month later...