scope levels

kingsy18

Hi all,just bought a scope for a bit of longish shooting say up to about 300-400yds which is a long way for me,as i very rarely shoot over 200,would canting the rifle affect trajectory of bullet at this distance thats why i,m asking about scope levels.Plus would factory ammo be okay for these distances and what sort of groupings should i have.

400 yds is pushing it for a 40 grainer in 223. That will start shedding velocity very quickly due to its low BC. You'd be better off going for a longer (heavier) bullet if your rifling is suitable. I'm guessing you shoot 1/12 if using 40 grainers? You can shoot 40 grainers out to 400 yds and it'd probably be ok for plinking on steel, just don't expect moa accuracy at that range, especially if windy. You might get away with 55 grain bullets which would perform better at distance due to higher BC. Also, when working out compensation, for anything over 200 yds, use G7 BC and not G1 BC, It's far more accurate. To give you an idea, I chrono'd my 69 grainers MV in 223, measured actual drops at 200 and altered true MV accordingly from the average drop between group centres (100 to 200 yds), and using the G7 profile, used +Strelock Pro to work out my 600yd drops. First shot was within 6 inches off the V-bull (right elevation, off for windage), so the G7 was spot on for that bullet.