Stay Safe

kippylawkid

Good point.

Experienced wildfowlers will know the normal dangers but this does seem to be an extreme case.

I met up with a keen and experienced wildfowler on a shoot yesterday who is a member on this forum. He said he was going out this morning to which my reply was 'You must be mad. Stay in bed'. I doubt that he did stay in bed.

We have all done it at some time , taken a risk when the weather conditions may mean a bumper bag, but always be wary and pick safe spots and be prepared to get off the marsh early.

I often feel two types of wildfowlers are most likely to get into trouble in bad weather conditions. The novice who does not realise the risk he is taking and the experianced wildfowler who knows exactly when its time to head for safety , but something goes wrong at that moment and then he is in trouble. To give an example of this. Years ago a new wildfowler and I were flighting curlew when a very big spring tide was due. I left the novice telling him no matter what do not cross the creek or the tide would cut him off from the sea wall. We split up a few hundred yards apart and for the next hour had great sport. When I judged it was time to leave the marsh I beconed to the other fowler and he waved back to show he had seen me. I spent a minuet or two stowing my birds away in my bag and looking back realised my friend was still standing by his creek. I rushed over to him to find he had crossed the creek I had told him not and was now cut off , by a rapidly rising tide. He had only one choice , he had to wade the creek which was by now shoulder deep. He made it , just, but we had wasted valuable time and had a quarter of a mile jog back to the sea wall. We made it , just , wading the last 50 yards chest deep in the tide . Any more delay or if there had been a strong wind backing the tide it could have been another story.

Edited by anser2

Yesterday morning we had a bigger tide than we did this morning , I went up the river first thing as normal, and if it wasn't for the E A ringing me up at 7am today telling us to move everything upstairs and to move into one of shelters that the Red Cross or whoever has opened one of the rooms up we would have never have known there was any problems with the tides.

I have seen many tides a lot higher than todays but I agree prevention is better than cure. and lets hope to nights hide tide pass without any problems.

Hoping for a good tide later this afternoon as nothing was moving this morning apart from gulls and a single swan. Big tide will push them into the marsh I hope.

Lucky our marsh isn't tidal anymore and the sea wall defenses are huge. No dange of flooding the tidal creek and estuary is half a mile away.

Hope all who venture out a good and safe flight :good: hope to read some reports of bumper bags and once in a lifetime shots pulled off on curling birds in the wind.

Forgive this question, very interested in this wildfowling lark,never been only read about and watched Youtube clips, can someone explain precisely what is meant by the "sea wall"?

The sea wall is the embankment that protect the farmland from getting flooded every time the sea reach its peak on high water , normally on the mainland side of the salt marshes.

Just an update on the flood risk along the East coast tonight , the tide reached its peak around 10pm tonight at least a foot lower than 2013 with no sign of any damage, so I can now think about getting my head down and look forward to tomorrows shoot without the worry of my house and garden becoming a flight pond :lol: