Any value in an old Brattonsound 3 gun cabinet?

Peter De La Mare

Finally after a monumental battle I have finally got my shotgun certificate back. The trouble is, is in that time it seems my 1980s Brattonsound cabinet is no longer favoured by my new FEO due to the door flange being jemmi-able (new word I invented).

So with no appetite for a fresh battle I've just gone for the quick win and replaced it with a new suitable one.

What to do with the old one now? Dump it? Has it any value otherwise? It's in really good condition, two lock, has lockable inner-box at the top, immensely heavy etc. Seems a shame to dump it.

I know it's irrelevant now, but I cannot believe a purpose built Brattonsound gun safe, no matter how old it is, has had its British standard approved classification revoked/withdrawn?

Sounds to me like you've been subjected to a jumping through hoops exercise by the FEO?

Make a good large ammo safe.

+1

Or somewhere to put all the stuff that you dont want the missus finding

lol I like those ideas.

Peter - glad to see you back shooting and on the Forum.

Hey Gordon, glad to be back. Hope to be out next weekend.

I know it's irrelevant now, but I cannot believe a purpose built Brattonsound gun safe, no matter how old it is, has had its British standard approved classification revoked/withdrawn?

Sounds to me like you've been subjected to a jumping through hoops exercise by the FEO?

Yes, I agree. It's been fine for nearly 30 years but the new FEO doesn't like the door. Can these regulations change? There must be loads of cabinets like these out there. I actually like my new FEO, very pleasant and helpful, but I'm not sure about this.

Also, even stranger, I asked about this new cabinet and was told the hinges make it a fail. This cabinet has the relevant BS kite mark and is "Police Approved" though I'm not sure how that's measured.

https://www.lichfieldsafecentre.co.uk/media/pdf/GS8010K_SERIES_-_TUCANA_GUN_SAFES.pdf

Airguns or fly rods

Good idea, thanks.

What do you want for it ? Asking price? I will be down your way in the next two weeks and could pick it up ...probably Saturday 28th late afternoon.

What do you think it's worth? I'll send you pictures. £50? Edited by Peter De La Mare

My 1970's gun cabinet predates the current British Standard. It does however meet the construction standards of the BS listed in the Home Office guidance. It has been approved by Bedfordshire, Thames Valley and Northants police FEOs. The critical word is guidance.

I have one very similar..........does the door at the hinge side have along its complete length, an extension which when the door is closed, hooks around the doorframe of the safe carcass?

If so, I would contact Brattonsound and check if it complies with British Standard Approval 7558, if they confirm it does I would consider taking the matter further...it is not at all unusual for FEO to make up the rules to suit themselves!......at your expense!

Thank you all for the replies and advice chaps, it's much appreciated. I have a slight admission to make however, bit embarrassing, but the cabinet after a look for some more photos turns out not to be a Brattonsound after all. If I could find the embarrassed smiley I'd insert it here.

It's made by a company called S.M.P in Telford, and for the life of me this is news despite owning it from new in 1990.

The bit the FEO is objecting to is the door edge being a simple fold.

BB5587BB-095F-43AE-9D0A-A6BEABDA883B.jpg

FB133D32-3215-47B3-B78F-E8A49CAB7626.jpg

D967EC9C-22E0-4B64-9A4A-92379AD6F05C.jpg

Edited by Peter De La Mare

None the wiser as I can't see any description that mentions the door edge, and the illustration image they use looks extremely similar to my door.

Anyway, I've already rolled over and I have a new cabinet arriving on Wednesday. Then the certificate will arrive shortly after that which is all I care about now lol.

• 1 month later...

I think you've done the right thing by going down the path of least resistance and enjoying your shotgun license but if you look at page 8 of the link that was sent above it says, (depending on where you live and the perceived risk) A suitable gun clamp can be used.

I would suggest that you're gun cabinet was better than a clamp, but anyway it's a bit subjective so suggest you move on and enjoy your newfound freedom.

It's the sams as mine the offficer that came said it was fine .i put it in a corner so if any one puts a bar in they can not push to force the door .put the cabinet to wall with the locks facing the other wall in a corner

The officer said that was ok that way

Edited by Guest