Any pocket watch experts

12gauge82

Love the Demi (half) hunter style! I often see the movements removed from their matching case and sold in an open faced generic case, as someone has scrapped the original case for the gold :no:

I have a couple of French cylinder movement watches "ladies" and one is dated to 1882. And some old wrist watches too inc a trench watch.

When I get more time to myself, I had planned to take up restorations as a hobby.

Bit delayed, Windows 10 finally got the better of my computer which I've just got back from being sorted!

JW%20Benson_zps0edkw9uq.jpg

Nice have you dated it.

I was told when I bought it that the Albert was 1913 and the watch 1933. The seal is a bit of a mystery to me. It's an old family item of unknown vintage - 'tis gold but unmarked as such - and it has a ratchet action and I'm wondering if it doubled up as a winder for another watch. Perhaps someone may know. It still keeps perfect time.

It may but it will lie to you lol

It's the Roman numerals at 4 o'clock that kind of annoying,

Showed my dad the watches on here as he does dabble in them purely as a hobby

He's says the chain alone if it's weighted to the watch correctly your looking at £400-£600

He's putting a pocket watch and chain together for me and yes the dial will be wrong

Very nice items you have

Edited by Surfer

It may but it will lie to you lol

It's the Roman numerals at 4 o'clock that kind of annoying,

Showed my dad the watches on here as he does dabble in them purely as a hobby

He's says the chain alone if it's weighted to the watch correctly your looking at £400-£600

He's putting a pocket watch and chain together for me and yes the dial will be wrong

Very nice items you have

9 carat and c44 grams, so, yep, scrap value.

I have got a little silver pocket watch its less than 50mm dia I bought it about twelve years ago it only cost me £40 the make on the front is RENOWX and inside it says RECORD WATCH Co Swiss made 15 jewels I think that it was made in 1910 when I first got it I carried it every day in my pocket.

It kept perfect time as long as I kept it wound up I never needed to change the time then one day it stopped the main spring broke so I took it into my locale Julers who sent it off to the place that repaired watches for them and was quoted £200 as the watch only cost me £40 to buy in the first place I did not bother I have a phone in my pocket so do not bother with a watch.

I would love to get it working again but cannot afford to spend silly money on it can anyone recommend some one who could put another spring in it and get it going again.

I was told when I bought it that the Albert was 1913 and the watch 1933. The seal is a bit of a mystery to me. It's an old family item of unknown vintage - 'tis gold but unmarked as such - and it has a ratchet action and I'm wondering if it doubled up as a winder for another watch. Perhaps someone may know. It still keeps perfect time.

That is a very nice half hunter watch, it will almost certainly have a Swiss movement and should be a good time keeper, do you know how many jewels?

The seal, don't think it was ever used for winding a watch, unless there is a hidden key inside, you could try gently pulling the seal to see if it reveals a key but I very much doubt it, seals that also double as a winder are usually like the ones below.

It would be nice to see a picture of the seal face and the watch movement.

post-28535-0-68474900-1484822987_thumb.jpg

post-28535-0-22745800-1484822988_thumb.jpg

I have got a little silver pocket watch its less than 50mm dia I bought it about twelve years ago it only cost me £40 the make on the front is RENOWX and inside it says RECORD WATCH Co Swiss made 15 jewels I think that it was made in 1910 when I first got it I carried it every day in my pocket.

It kept perfect time as long as I kept it wound up I never needed to change the time then one day it stopped the main spring broke so I took it into my locale Julers who sent it off to the place that repaired watches for them and was quoted £200 as the watch only cost me £40 to buy in the first place I did not bother I have a phone in my pocket so do not bother with a watch.

I would love to get it working again but cannot afford to spend silly money on it can anyone recommend some one who could put another spring in it and get it going again.

that is one of the problems with these old pocket watches, parts are hard to find plus the amount of hours it takes fitting parts and getting the watch running correctly again, that's why I used to buy none working watches and cannibalise them for parts.

The replacement main spring must be the same as the broken one, length, thickness, height, or the watch will not run correctly.

Wish I could help but since my eyes have got worse I have not done any watch repairs for a number of years, the cost of £200 sounds a bit high unless that includes a complete strip down and clean, I would say you are looking around £60 for just a replacement main spring fitted, this guy is a good repairer, might be worth giving him a bell....http://michaelallenwatchmaker.co.uk/

Here you go:

I'm not sure what I'm doing with regard to the back. There is the flat which I suppose is where you prise it open but it's VERY tight and I'm not going to risk scratching it - watchmakers' job I fancy. If you look carefully at the 'ball' on the left end of the seal, you can just see the serrations where it ratchets. I didn't want to lose it so when I got the watch I had the links made with solid joints and although I can't now remember precisely, I believe that there was a square female drive at the end.

Seal%202_zpscc9bb4lf.jpg

Seal%201_zpsyutldwqd.jpg

OK, found a better blade to open it:

002_zpsx77oa93r.jpg

Edited by wymberley

that is one of the problems with these old pocket watches, parts are hard to find plus the amount of hours it takes fitting parts and getting the watch running correctly again, that's why I used to buy none working watches and cannibalise them for parts.

The replacement main spring must be the same as the broken one, length, thickness, height, or the watch will not run correctly.

Wish I could help but since my eyes have got worse I have not done any watch repairs for a number of years, the cost of £200 sounds a bit high unless that includes a complete strip down and clean, I would say you are looking around £60 for just a replacement main spring fitted, this guy is a good repairer, might be worth giving him a bell....http://michaelallenwatchmaker.co.uk/

Thanks for the information I will be looking in to it £60 is about the max that I was thinking about to get it going.

You need to measure the old spring! Length, width and height! Then pop those dimensions into the like of fleabay and you should find a replacement! You will need a spring winging tool for installation, though some people have managed without! It's not a particularly HARD job if you can find the spring! So think £200 is a bit rich for what I would class as one of the easiest jobs to perform.