.223 opinion best option.

gav05

Looking at either a tika t3 or browning x bolt or a bolt. Or Remington 700 or howa 1500. 1-9 twist with jmc t12 scout mod. What would you recommend for a scope about £450-500 budget. Have aprox £1700- 2k for setting up. Or is it mad spending that on a 223 setup

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We use a Howa 1500 with a wildcat mod topped with a zeiss scope, has a bipod fitted as we always shoot off an adapted vitara.

Can't fault it and should come in way under your low budget.

Have shot hundreds of foxes with it.

Don't matter how expensive the gun even a cheap one will outshoot you.

The money you save buys a lot ammo and other goodies!

I went to a gun smiths earlier who also deals in rifles.

I have to say I'm buying another howa after what I've been told.

I was shown a few guns that were all howa based.

They recon the barrel is of the highest quality of a standard rifle and they work on them including chopping /cutting/ threading , fluting , full builds.

I've said about spending a few more quid and they asked why?

They sell howa, tikka, remmington , webley, sako so only need speak the truth.

I have to say I'm over the moon with my howa .223

To be honest I was thinking it really for fox and muntjac. Day and night maybe the odd long range play but really longest I need is 200 yard 40-50gr factory loads only. not going to get into reloading. I know that there's a big difference in price between rifles but iv always been told a better scope is more important than the rifle cost for me i want a new rifle something I know the history. I hear more good things about howa than bad. As 223 is to be my go to cf rifle as I won't go for a variation for more for at least 2/3 years well unless things change I will then go for a 243 or 30-06 but for now I want the best/ most reliable setup I can get.

Shame your advert didn,t come up a week ago had a 223 tikka lite up for sale,only just bought another 40 rounds for it, less than a year old,more or less mint,only put about 180 rounds through it,1 in 12 twist shoots 40s and 50s well forget the 55s all over the place.Had a howa 204 in the past swapped it for a tikka ,howa shoots just as well as a tikka but find the tikka a better rifle.

Look at what spares are available for the rifle. The more the spares the crapper they are as standard.

I have had my fair share of rifles. Been around a lot of different rifles. For out the box you will not beat the Tikka/sako.

Go 1:8 twist. Lite or spotter. You can still pop rounds down range but also run 50 vmax for the fox and a 69gn soft point for small deer.

There are a lot of scopes out there some better than others. Problem you might have is range and stalking and the turrets. For range you need to dial but for stalking you want to make sure study don't turn by accident, hard to see and night. And you want a lower mag of around 6x upwards for the woodland muntjac.

I have two rifle that I can use for field work and longer range. One has a sightron s111 with over caps for the dialable turrets, but to much starter magnification.

The other is a vortex viper HD. This would be my choice for fox and deer plus range. As its got the mag upto 24 and it has the covers to stop you accidentally adjusting in the field.

Tikka T3 1:8 twist

Vortex viper scopw

Used Sako 75, 85, Tikka M595, T3 or CZ527. The only fly in the ointment with CZ527s is that the LOP is ridiculously short but the actions are lovely and the barrels good, so an aftermarket stock is often fitted to them. They are very accurate rifles and real work horses. T3 is better quality and has a much better trigger. Get a fast twist for heavier bullets for longer range. 1 in 9 is an ideal all-rounder.

Scope wise, go the very highest quality you can afford in second hand. A used Zeiss Diavari with target turrets would be a good choice. I use a Nightforce NSX with mine, and prefer it to any vortex or Siii I've looked through or handled. Cracking good LR scope and I also use it closer up for Muntjac. Penalty with it and many LR scopes is weight, so pick a scope on primary use. You don't need anything much over 18 mag even for 600 yards, because higher mags suffer mirage when the weather starts to warm up and you end up dialling back to between 16 and 18 times anyway. I've rarely used mine above 18x for 600 yard target. The quality of the glass matters. If you go good quality, you won't need so much mag as you'll have far better resolution than a cheaper scope.

For your budget, I'd put at least half the budget into the glass. No good having a rifle that'll shoot a knats do-dahs off at 500 yards if the glass isn't up to it.

Personally, I can't stand capped turrets. I have no problems with using target or tacti-kewel-type turrets for hunting providing they're good quality. The NSX is good, the Delta target and LR scopes are good, and the Bushnell Elite Tactical (DMR) series are also very good.

Look at what spares are available for the rifle. The more the spares the crapper they are as standard.

I have had my fair share of rifles. Been around a lot of different rifles. For out the box you will not beat the Tikka/sako.

Go 1:8 twist. Lite or spotter. You can still pop rounds down range but also run 50 vmax for the fox and a 69gn soft point for small deer.

There are a lot of scopes out there some better than others. Problem you might have is range and stalking and the turrets. For range you need to dial but for stalking you want to make sure study don't turn by accident, hard to see and night. And you want a lower mag of around 6x upwards for the woodland muntjac.

I have two rifle that I can use for field work and longer range. One has a sightron s111 with over caps for the dialable turrets, but to much starter magnification.

The other is a vortex viper HD. This would be my choice for fox and deer plus range. As its got the mag upto 24 and it has the covers to stop you accidentally adjusting in the field.

Tikka T3 1:8 twist

Vortex viper scopw

You can't go off the spares.

For years you could get BMW Spares but not Kia ;)

The same with my machines at work . I have the best kit available and also the most engineers in the country.

You can't go off the spares.

For years you could get BMW Spares but not Kia ;)

The same with my machines at work . I have the best kit available and also the most engineers in the country.

Not the same. So can't compare. Heck of a smaller market.

I stand by what I have put. I'll also add the ones that will defend are the ones that have one of the 700's or howas lmao. Because they have to justify their purchases lol.

Don't buy a cz527. They are a tractor gun. Rust very easy and very industrial. They are a work horse. I have one, its ****, it's for night vision and fox. Come home and not worry about it being booked up on barb wire. But they rust. My combi 7x57r was a night mare, even look at water and you could see the bore turning orange.lol.

Trust me about the caps on the turrets. I have been there, missed a fox more than once with target turrets all because at night you can't turn a torch on to check they are still on zero. You do after you miss. Been there and had it ripped out of me by shooting friend's.

locking target turrets are another option , when I had a weaver super slam on my .22-250 the turrets locked by pushing down and needed to be pulled up to adjust, never moved in few months I used it. or put a bit of glow in the dark nail varnish on the turret and scope base when zero is set and if inline it confirms zero, done this on another scope I used to have.

Not the same. So can't compare. Heck of a smaller market.

I stand by what I have put. I'll also add the ones that will defend are the ones that have one of the 700's or howas lmao. Because they have to justify their purchases lol.

Justify ??? Why . I love my howa. Loads of tikka spares out there.

I'm picking a howa again. I know what I'm told by the experts in gun smithing and that'll do me.

I also have a Brno and cz , loads of spares available ;) but at 40 years old it groups 1" at 100 yards still. It cost £100 :)

I drive a vw by choice but listen to others about fords etc.

just because it cost more it doesn't make it better, it makes the others mugs ;)

Edited by team tractor

Well I'm now thinking. Browning sako 85 hunter or tika t3 as for scope I really only need to set up and leave. I like the idea of trying something long range.but playing with Moa and moving about all the time is a little beyond me for now all I want to do is buy a good scope that will last and maybe suitable to move over to larger caliber rifles in future.

Justify ??? Why . I love my howa. Loads of tikka spares out there.

I'm picking a howa again. I know what I'm told by the experts in gun smithing and that'll do me.

I also have a Brno and cz , loads of spares available ;) but at 40 years old it groups 1" at 100 yards still. It cost £100 :)

I drive a vw by choice but listen to others about fords etc.

just because it cost more it doesn't make it better, it makes the others mugs ;)

Yep, thought so. Howa lol. Nothing wrong with a howa, someone has to buy them or life would be boring.lol

Again with the cars, no relevance.

Cz, fine for the Field without up grades and machine work. Ask SAVHMR what's left original on his cz.

I have had a few in my hands. Love them as they are, a tractor gun. Built to last. Shame this .222 is burnt out and rusted out to the point of a rebarrel. Putting a 1:9 twist stainless on it when I find the time to sort it.

Well I'm now thinking. Browning sako 85 hunter or tika t3 as for scope I really only need to set up and leave. I like the idea of trying something long range.but playing with Moa and moving about all the time is a little beyond me for now all I want to do is buy a good scope that will last and maybe suitable to move over to larger caliber rifles in future.

Sound good. If you can find a good sako75 at the right price then grab it. It's one of the better ones. Made by a smith and not an accountant.

Scope wise. Something up to 12x no need for parallax adjustable if it's going on a stalking rifle at a later date. Most are parallax at 100 so one lest think to worry about when a beast of a life time steps out in front of you.

Spend the same on the glass as the rifle. You can always swap a rifle and keep the glass forever, just swapping it around rifles.

3-12x50 in the best you can afford and it will last you a lifetime.

I've not said any of my rifles are the best lol. In fact I think I have only said about one, ands it's a workhorse and built like a tractor. But rusts badly and is shot out.

Not defended any rifle, just said that some rifles need work, some come out the box and shoot better than others without having to change this that or other.

I thought I was being very straight with the OP without barrel waggling lol.

Just out of interest. Is your howa as it comes out the box or have you changed any of it for the maqueens and which discipline. Only asking.