.223 opinion best option.

gav05

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

yes the triple deuce was the bench rest rifle of choice and still holds many records.

Please don't get confused with an above post about distances and shooting. I think the bit that's been missed is the twist rate. Yes the 223 will fly past the 600 yard range but only in the 1:8 twist. Which are rather had to come across second hand and mostly a special order if new. Unless there's one on a shelf some where. The norm is 1:12 twist that a 69gn bullet will be about Max and around 500 yards its lost its edge.

.222 normally is 1:14 with max bullet weight of 52grain. Some get the 53vmax shooting but TS a little hit and miss if it will run. When you get out to 400 you soon know if its worked.

I run both calibre's. Theres been plenty of photos on what these two calibers will shoot and capable of on here.

It's down to what ammunition is available locally for the OP. Both very capable. Both are roe deer legle cross the wall and very capable on fox.

If you have the money then look for a new Shultz and Larkin as for the money, you probably will not find better. I'm not going any further that that as it upsets some and they go emotional and defensive.

errr.....69 grain bullets have been shot to 1000yds at Bisley Phil. I saw some cracking tight groups at 600yds recently from a 223 at 600 yds too, so no, they haven't lost their edge at 500 ;) . Perhaps for hunting if that's what you mean, but not for paper punching.

1/12 is pretty much the norm these days for 223, but as you say, there are special order rifles in 1/8 and 1/9 and if re-barrelling, of course there's plenty of choice in fast twist barrels, many of them match grade.

I'd happily own either calibre, both are as accurate as anyone needs with the right ammo development. The 222 can be moderated a little better and has a little less recoil, but the .223 is pretty good in this respect anyway. I just don't buy the "one is better for accuracy than the other" argument. That's down to the shooter as both calibres are proven accurate and both have done well in competition. The .222 was there first and fast gained a good rep in benchrest shooting, but so has the .223.

Edited by Savhmr

errr.....69 grain bullets have been shot to 1000yds at Bisley Phil. I saw some cracking tight groups at 600yds recently from a 223 at 600 yds too, so no, they haven't lost their edge at 500 ;) . Perhaps for hunting if that's what you mean, but not for paper punching.

1/12 is pretty much the norm these days for 223, but as you say, there are special order rifles in 1/8 and 1/9 and if re-barrelling, of course there's plenty of choice in fast twist barrels, many of them match grade.

I'd happily own either calibre, both are as accurate as anyone needs with the right ammo development. The 222 can be moderated a little better and has a little less recoil, but the .223 is pretty good in this respect anyway. I just don't buy the "one is better for accuracy than the other" argument. That's down to the shooter as both calibres are proven accurate and both have done well in competition. The .222 was there first and fast gained a good rep in benchrest shooting, but so has the .223.

I beg to differ on the 69gn @ 1000. yes in a 1:8 twist but not in the standard 1:12. i run the 1:12 and know what it can and cant do. please dont get confussed with the 1:8 and 1:12

activevii

Just wondering how far you reach out with your .222 ?

Only 250, but it wasn't happy much beyond that. Group opening very quickly. for fox I wouldn't go past 200. No real need at night. Rabbits at 250 where fine, bullet has slowed down enough and head shots left a good carcuss. Wth small deer I wouldn't go much past 100. But then its the stalk with them and not the shot.

The cz I have at the moment I wouldn't go past 100. Still playing with bullets. Really I should just get the new barrel on but timing is wrong. I have a 1:9 to go on but then its not really going to be the traditional 1:14.

Just under12 months ago I got a sako 85 stainless varmint barrel .223 Ase northstar moderator and SB 8x56 scope fired 40 rounds + 60 odd rounds of ammunition for a lot less than 1700£ of another popular forum.

So shop around its suprising what comes up. I was going to buy new but saved over 1500£.

Hello Gav05 it looks like you could be suffering from information overload, however I just thought I would back up some of the cases on here. For what it is worth I have been lucky enough to have put a few tens of thousands of rounds through various rifles over the years, ranging from the infamous SA 80, M16, Famas, Ak 47, and my Howa 1500 .223 all of these use the 5.56 / .223 round they all out shoot the pink squashy thing behind them.

As you will be using yours for fox shooting, I would save some of your money and go for a Howa I got a complete set up for just over six hundred quid the only part that lets it down is the Nikon scope. I have a Bushell Banner on it now about £180 and to be honest I can't fault it. All of my fox control is at night, on foot, and on my own I have a Ward D 700 night vision add on which allows me to shoot up to around the 220 yard mark with good identification of quarry ( I check back stops etc with a thermal spotter ). Mine has a synthetic stock, which admittedly is a bit cheap feeling but it is a tool and it works and does that well. I zero at 100m it is then point and shoot you don't have to worry much about wind drift at those ranges either.

So to summarise Howa are a good rifle, unless you are shooting 350 metres plus don't go mad on a scope, I use Norma fifty something grain factory ammo the foxes don't seem to mind.

After all that is said and done, it's your decision and a personal choice that you will have to make.

I hope I haven't muddied the water even further...

222/223 are either side of a bit of a chasm, the 222 is a great upgrade for the hornet whilst still being nice to shoot.

the 223 is more like a 22 250 with a little less puff, The extra 200 feet per seem to come at a cost in user friendly ness,

I have had all three calibers over the years, Still have fond memories of the 222, but not many of the 22 250