A congregation of magpies!

panoma1

I shot one Magpie and had s tree full counted more than a dozen all going nuts cawing their heads off, managed to shoot another five before they cottoned on.

This year shot one magpie that didn't die straight off and they were coming in from all directions not just magpies but crows and rooks too. Flattened a dozen in ten minutes that day.

Never seen as many gather before in my lifetime either.

Sat on the slurry pit for three hours today and saw one. It dipped into the empty pit where I could not see it and departed without giving my TX200 a chance. Mind I have shot 54 there to date, so they are a bit thin on the ground in that area. Now's the time to hammer them and give all those little song birds a chance of survival come the spring as well as partridge and pheasants.

That's crows. But I think that the collective for magpies is a tiding for some reason.

Gulp, charm, mischief, conventicle, tribe, tittering, flock, tiding, murder and congregation of magpies! Take your choice!......I think you'll find they're all correct?

Edited by panoma1

two or three years ago I was going by a small park near to where I live and I had to stop and count the magpies I cannot remember how many there was but it must have been about 25 of them I now a lot of people do not like them but they are very nice looking birds I always think.

Edited by four-wheel-drive

Gulp, charm, mischief, conventicle, tribe, tittering, flock, tiding, murder and congregation of magpies! Take your choice!......I think you'll find they're all correct?

If you get a congregation of a hundred or more magpies I think the correct term is an 'Adge' ;)

As a kid me and my mate shot 26 with the air guns in some fir/ pine trees on an old quail farm, all in an hour !!!!

They were coming into roost, shot 1 and another landed in the same tree , sometimes on the same branch!!!!

We still talk about it today,

Happy days with the BSA meteor ( 1988 I was 14 years old)

I wish we had mobile phones then to take a pic, I can still see the pile of them know,

Flynny

• 3 years later...
On 14/01/2017 at 17:11, panoma1 said:

Today at about 3pm, In the ash tree (25/30 ft) at the top of my garden, I counted a congregation of 26 magpies! In my 67 years, I have never seen so many (or anywhere near it!) in one tree at the same time!!

On Monday June 1st at 6.45pm I counted 20 magpies sitting on the roof & chimney pot of the house opposite mine in Farnborough . An amazing sight.

It was indeed a congregation.