Gordon recoil system

Can anyone explain the "Gordon Recoil System" to me I have googled it and well I don't it get it, something about gamebore, and some Italians and a special case.

But nothing really, I mean the carts I bought with it look very smart but that doesn't ,mean jack.....

No probs, personally having shot thousands of the blue diamond [one of my favourite shells] which do have the gordon recoil system, i cant tell the the difference when using white gold which don't have the system and seem just as smooth.. Just a gimmick to my mind but maybe i don't fire enough shells to appreciate the difference.

No worries I have a weird recoil related issue, I'm fine when shooting but a day or so later it can cause issues so I usually shoot 24g clay loads but I have a day on pheasants coming and have bought a couple of boxes of 30g no5 one box are Gordon recoil shells, one just quality game loads and one steel no4 if we have a duck drive.

No probs, personally having shot thousands of the blue diamond [one of my favourite shells] which do have the gordon recoil system, i cant tell the the difference when using white gold which don't have the system and seem just as smooth.. Just a gimmick to my mind but maybe i don't fire enough shells to appreciate the difference.

I'm glad you found this, I thought it was just me, if anything whitegold are smoother

Guest cookoff013

No worries I have a weird recoil related issue, I'm fine when shooting but a day or so later it can cause issues so I usually shoot 24g clay loads but I have a day on pheasants coming and have bought a couple of boxes of 30g no5 one box are Gordon recoil shells, one just quality game loads and one steel no4 if we have a duck drive.

Buy or make big shot subs.

Gordon System hulls, show a series of technical innovation compared to the traditional European hulls (Fiocchi & Cheddite), or the US ones:

They're not compression formed, for once, which makes the base wad 'adjustable' depending on the load requirements....and a tad softer to help recoil absorption.

The base wad inside the brass also differentiate itself in that, although showing a conic form; differs from the other manufacturer for the presence of a wee ring in the middle (where the primer sits); this in itself changes the way powder burns, reducing the 'fluid hammer' generating when the firing pin hits the primer.

The base wad is also characterised by a fully customisable double crown which again can be made based on the specific load to help the powder burning more regularly without producing the hard recoil on firing it.

I was really surprised a few years back when I was given the first F2 load with Gordon Sytem to test on the proofing barrel: the first 8 shells had no ignition delay on the graph (which his the first small spike you see on the graph) so much so that I was tempted to call the engineer to recalibrate the barrel.

However, I thought i'd fire one or two 'test shells' (these standard loads I normally use to check the calibration of the barrel) I notice the barrel was fine.

So, I took all the components out and re-formed the same shell into a Cheddite hull … and the graph came out as expected … only with 70 bar more...

The logical explanation was that the way the Gordon system works was the cause for the graph to show no delay in ignition. On further inspection it seems that the wee crown present on the base wad was funnelling the primer fire in a way that ignition would start immediately and progress consistently...

On the down side, this softer plastic is more susceptible to explosion and will make it a little harder to recycle the hull, as the primer will wash in it.... nothing a little glue can't resolve … but it won't guarantee multiple uses.

Gordon System hulls, show a series of technical innovation compared to the traditional European hulls (Fiocchi & Cheddite), or the US ones:

They're not compression formed, for once, which makes the base wad 'adjustable' depending on the load requirements....and a tad softer to help recoil absorption.

The base wad inside the brass also differentiate itself in that, although showing a conic form; differs from the other manufacturer for the presence of a wee ring in the middle (where the primer sits); this in itself changes the way powder burns, reducing the 'fluid hammer' generating when the firing pin hits the primer.

The base wad is also characterised by a fully customisable double crown which again can be made based on the specific load to help the powder burning more regularly without producing the hard recoil on firing it.

I was really surprised a few years back when I was given the first F2 load with Gordon Sytem to test on the proofing barrel: the first 8 shells had no ignition delay on the graph (which his the first small spike you see on the graph) so much so that I was tempted to call the engineer to recalibrate the barrel.

However, I thought i'd fire one or two 'test shells' (these standard loads I normally use to check the calibration of the barrel) I notice the barrel was fine.

So, I took all the components out and re-formed the same shell into a Cheddite hull and the graph came out as expected only with 70 bar more...

The logical explanation was that the way the Gordon system works was the cause for the graph to show no delay in ignition. On further inspection it seems that the wee crown present on the base wad was funnelling the primer fire in a way that ignition would start immediately and progress consistently...

On the down side, this softer plastic is more susceptible to explosion and will make it a little harder to recycle the hull, as the primer will wash in it.... nothing a little glue can't resolve but it won't guarantee multiple uses.

Very interesting! Do you work for a proof house?

Wow thanks for the explanation I'm tempted to try some standard clay loads with now to see if it has the same effect on me as the others, is it only gamebore using these hills that are readily available in the U.K.?

PS sounds like you have a fun job!

Edited by HDAV

Guest cookoff013

So can I reload them and use the normal data or will I have to change something.

Doubt you can do that. The last time I used them I could only fit 70mm loads in a 3" hull.

New data needed.

Just Cartridges have their own branded "Extreme Game" diamond shot cartridges which use the GRS system. I don't know if it's the GRS or the shot/load but I find that they pattern really well and I miss far less shooting with those as they just seem to suit my gun and shooting style. I can tell the difference using them with recoil. Their 32g load shoots more like a 28g load! Barely any noticeable recoil, which I like.

Just Cartridges have their own branded "Extreme Game" diamond shot cartridges which use the GRS system. I don't know if it's the GRS or the shot/load but I find that they pattern really well and I miss far less shooting with those as they just seem to suit my gun and shooting style. I can tell the difference using them with recoil. Their 32g load shoots more like a 28g load! Barely any noticeable recoil, which I like.

Yep me too! I've been shooting them on Grouse, Pheasant and Partridge over the last couple of years and rate them very highly, genuine 2 1/2" cases, clean, soft shooting, suit the gun well, and if I point it straight......kill well through my English SBS.