Free pheasants!!!!

kennett

I have the remains of yesterday's bag, which will be about 60 by the time I've dished a few more brace out. At 5-10p from the game dealer it isn't even nearly worth the diesel to take them. If any one wants them free of charge they are welcome, just got to collect from Newmarket. (Don't worry this won't be another dumping story, if no one wants them I'll just breast them out for the freezer!)

I have the remains of yesterday's bag, which will be about 60 by the time I've dished a few more brace out. At 5-10p from the game dealer it isn't even nearly worth the diesel to take them. If any one wants them free of charge they are welcome, just got to collect from Newmarket. (Don't worry this won't be another dumping story, if no one wants them I'll just breast them out for the freezer!)

:good: We have a Newmarket in Lewis is that any good .. :|

• 2 weeks later...

I didn't realise that you could get the Pheasants following a shoot. The game keeper used to charge the beaters on our old shoot - £8 a brace I think it was. I didn't even bother asking when I went shooting recently with the guys from here.

I assumed they sold the bird onto a game dealer - dumping them is atrocious!!

Well done Kennett for not wasting them!

We were at the game dealers last week after emptying or rabbit freezers.

They had thousands of pheasants to sort out but told us they are paying little or nothing for them.

Got quite a story but turned a deaf one to some of it, birds are bred too small, no demand, etc etc.

Shoots keep putting more birds down but dont consider what happens to the game once shot ie bags are bigger floods the market reducing the price paid.

To me its a pity that more people wont try game.

One big problem is no one is taught how to prepare be it fur or feather.

Years ago the 'skill' was passed from parents and grandparents, I was taught at a very young age!

I didn't realise that you could get the Pheasants following a shoot. The game keeper used to charge the beaters on our old shoot - £8 a brace I think it was. I didn't even bother asking when I went shooting recently with the guys from here.

I assumed they sold the bird onto a game dealer - dumping them is atrocious!!

Well done Kennett for not wasting them!

£8/brace is a bit mean from the keeper given he'd get 50p from the dealer. I often ask for extra game after a shoot and have always been given it. Had seven brace one time and no one batted an eyelid.

We were at the game dealers last week after emptying or rabbit freezers.

They had thousands of pheasants to sort out but told us they are paying little or nothing for them.

Got quite a story but turned a deaf one to some of it, birds are bred too small, no demand, etc etc.

Shoots keep putting more birds down but dont consider what happens to the game once shot ie bags are bigger floods the market reducing the price paid.

To me its a pity that more people wont try game.

One big problem is no one is taught how to prepare be it fur or feather.

Years ago the 'skill' was passed from parents and grandparents, I was taught at a very young age!

I doubt that its the skill thats the issue, its the NEED. We live in an age where you can hit youtube and pick up a new skill in minutes everything is at your finger tips, but people can't be bothered as they do not need to make the effort. Its easier to pop to the shop and buy something, where as I prefer to see what I am eating and know what has gone into it.