20g clay loads

I took a friends lad I to the clay ground a couple of weeks ago, he'd never shot before- and he's quite short 😐 Like you I wasn't sure on load weights, ended up buying some 21g Hull comp X known for their low recoil.

I was impressed, iirc 1540fps.

Edited by Me matt

I took a friends lad I to the clay ground a couple of weeks ago, he'd never shot before- and he's quite short Like you I wasn't sure on load weights, ended up buying some 21g Hull comp X known for their low recoil.

I was impressed, iirc 1540fps.

Hi pal thanks for the reply but I don't believe you can get comp x for the 20 bore?

What load is he using to shoot game? Presumably something more than 21grms.

Whilst I appreciate he will shoot a lot more shells at clays than game I would think he would be ok with a minimum of 24 grand.

Don't disadvantage him so much so that he gets downhearted through not breaking the longer targets.

GH

Thankyou all for your opinions, I should add my son turned 12 today and is already a competent shot, he's used a variety of shells including 28g to good effect. My concern was more for his mate, he's just that bit smaller and not as 'well built' as my lad. I've been told he's been using a .410 OK but he's never shot anything bigger hence my question. Looking forward to Saturday as according to my son all his mate can talk about is going shooting.

I should mention that if I bought my son some shells in a mainly pink box with a girl's name on the front he'd practically disown me! :lol:

Edited by Ttfjlc

Hull, Gamebore and Lyalvale all have very soft shooting 21g loads for the 20 bore and all will do the job well.

The Fiocchi Top 20 24g load i really like for clays although they are a little bit punchier than the ones mention above. They are also a bit cheaper then the other 3 too.

Edited by grrclark