Police protocol on theft for the in the knows?

sako751sg

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thief caught on camera in our local shop and reported. It took five weeks before the criminal was visited and eventually cautioned although the shop keeper knew him and he only lived 100yrds away from the shop. The whole system is a joke and almost every officer I speak with at the sharp end, trying to do the job, can't wait to retire and get out.

We were told back in 1974 that accelerated promotion and uni graduates would transform the police service. Sure has done that for the worse.

Are you sure he was as drunk as he made out he was? Seems like a good way of raising the bar. The inference is they would have nicked him if he were sober

Years ago, early on new years morning a bloke we knew was driving home from the Rugby Club Dance well over the limit. He was stopped but when the police saw a rugby prop forward dressed in a sparkly minidress , lipstick, stockings and suspenders etc behind the wheel they (presumably) decided it would not be worth all the micky taking they would get if they took him back to the station. So they confiscated his keys instead.

Its a Renault Traffic

He seemed genuinely steaming and was stinking of bevvy so pretty sure he was.

Just a strange thing to do and cant really blame it on the scoop imo.

I'm not minimising what he did (in my opinion he deserves the book being thrown at him) but stealing a pair of boots instead of your tools would seem a very strange thing for someone sober to do. Sounds like a drunk to me

I'm not minimising what he did (in my opinion he deserves the book being thrown at him) but stealing a pair of boots instead of your tools would seem a very strange thing for someone sober to do. Sounds like a drunk to me

I agree,and said to the cops that right at the back door is sitting a 14 inch Husky and yet only the boots were taken.

Not saying that isnt the act of a drunken man,but i would bet a fair bit checking van doors is a pretty regular occurrence,drunk or not.

We had a situation back in November - 2.00am guy knocking and then kicking our front door. Shouted at him from window where upon he stared kicking the cars. Seems he was looking for someone who owned him money, but had got the wrong house.

Missus and daughter on phone to police. Him and his mate got into a car and drove about 30 yards down road - unmarked police car and marked one turned up, nabbed the guy and came in and took statements - they were here till 5.00am!

Guy was completely drunk, got arrested and kicked off in Police van. He was up before the magistrates early Jan where we had to attend - luckily he changed his plea when he saw us there to guilty. He was given about £600 worth of fines. Police kept us informed all along the way from the day after the incident.

I can see what's happened here.

He had a very nice young lady waiting at home but he knew she would not have sex without protection.

He asked his mate in the pub the best place to get some durex at this time of night.

His mate, knowing that the nearby chemist was open 24 hours said "Have you tried Boots"

And that's the case for the defence mu lord.

Police phoned last night and said they couldnt take any more action now as they had dealt with him at the time by taking him home and giving him a warning.

Said there was no proof that the missing boot and the one found where he was apprehended was due to him so cant do any more.

Reason given that he only got a warning was because he wasnt known to them and they acted as per the guidelines.

Sounds like they did the right thing but by **** if thats the law of the land now i have little faith.

Edited by sako751sg

Unbelievable.

But then again- not really.

Speechless.

Im a pretty cynical sort and if i had read this thread coming from another poster i would have had doubts to how authentic it was.

As someone mentioned before,could see a rise in diy justice if this is the way things are going.

Im a pretty cynical sort and if i had read this thread coming from another poster i would have had doubts to how authentic it was.

As someone mentioned before,could see a rise in diy justice if this is the way things are going.

Thing is tho if we give someone a smack in the grid it would be the end of our FAC/SGC the scumbags are more protected than we are... Edited by Archie-fox

Thing is tho if we give someone a smack in the grid it would be the end of our FAC/SGC the scumbags are more protected than we are...

No < they will just ask you to behave, jump in the panda car then drop you home via the kebab shop.

The thing is when people actually do start to take things into there own hands some smart plonker in some kind of important job will as the question.

"Why are people taking the law into their own hands"

Edited by Dougy

I'm sorry to hear it, but not surprised. This sort of thing was being implemented just before I left the job. Warning after warning. Restorative Justice schemes which had been dreamed up by people who didn't live in the real world. The problem is as anyone who has had kids or trained animals will know; unless you draw a line and stick to it, and there are consequences to bad behaviour, you have lost control. In this case no deterrent today = increased criminal behaviour tomorrow. But this is a way of saving money today and politicians don't worry about tomorrow.

I'm sorry to hear it, but not surprised. This sort of thing was being implemented just before I left the job. Warning after warning. Restorative Justice schemes which had been dreamed up by people who didn't live in the real world. The problem is as anyone who has had kids or trained animals will know; unless you draw a line and stick to it, and there are consequences to bad behaviour, you have lost control. In this case no deterrent today = increased criminal behaviour tomorrow. But this is a way of saving money today and politicians don't worry about tomorrow.

My cousin now retired told me that shoplifters, if caught are asked if they have the money to pay for the goods they thieved, if they had, they had to pay for them, if not a warning.

So at worst you have to pay if you get caught, if not another one under the belt & free to thieve another day....no wonder he left.

My cousin now retired told me that shoplifters, if caught are asked if they have the money to pay for the goods they thieved, if they had, they had to pay for them, if not a warning.

So at worst you have to pay if you get caught, if not another one under the belt & free to thieve another day....no wonder he left.

The current way of dealing with shoplifters......................if they drop the stolen items and leave the store, job done. !

If they are detained and eventually arrested and charged, there then follows a string of Court appearances, followed by adjournments. Each time, all the witnesses are required to attend and of course the store have to pay all the staff members who are attending, as well as providing additional staff to work in the store, whilst they are away. So, you can see why, from the storekeepers point of view, if I have got the goods back, end of !

The current way of dealing with shoplifters......................if they drop the stolen items and leave the store, job done. !

If they are detained and eventually arrested and charged, there then follows a string of Court appearances, followed by adjournments. Each time, all the witnesses are required to attend and of course the store have to pay all the staff members who are attending, as well as providing additional staff to work in the store, whilst they are away. So, you can see why, from the storekeepers point of view, if I have got the goods back, end of !

That highlights a major problem in the Criminal Justice System. Large stores have to lose staff hours to futile court cases. Even when found guilty the penalties are a joke. No wonder they don't want to participate.

Trouble is that going soft on crime only fuels more crime. It is only an effective deterrent and the realistic prospect of being caught and found guilty that keeps crime low.

I witnessed a shoplifter at work in Morrisons supermarket. She was taking bottles of Gin and Vodka and putting them into a bag. She then moved on to the single malt, well, I ask you ? A Guy can only take so much ! I alerted a member of Staff, and pointed out the Offender. In my day they had to leave the store without paying, BEFORE there was a job in it. To my horror the Staff member challenged the Female, whose reaction was to smack the Staff member. That was when I waded in ! Well at the wrong side of 70, more tiptoed in ! A struggle ensued and due to my knackered right shoulder, she got free, leaving her bag. (which contained over £300 of booze) . Due to my 2 knackered knees (if I was a dog, I would have been put down) I was unable to give chase. I decided to stay and give the young Female staff member the kiss of life instead. At this point my Wife arrived (typical ). She asked where the blood was from ? I then saw that the back of my right hand was cut. After some First Aid and a cuppa, the Police arrived. I gave them my details and took some blank statement forms and went home. A few hours later the Bobbies arrived to collect the statement, adding "Oh, by the way, the Offender went on to another supermarket and was again rumbled. This time she held the Staff and Police at bay with a hypodermic needle" (obviously no young Police Woman with a taser available ?). Oh great says I, looking at my hand. I had been aware of something in her hand during our struggle, but I thought it was a bunch of keys. After 6 months of Hospital visits for blood tests, I was given the all clear. The Offender was kept in custody and eventually it went to Court. She pleaded Guilty and got 6 months, because she had been in custody already, she was released straight from Court. At least she came and apologised to me, which was more than Morrisons ever did. Would I do it again ? PROBABLY !

The law I made by rational people who cannot comprehend that not all people are rational. As such there is no understanding by the law makers of a druggy's determination to get the next fix even if a rational person knew that there was a good chance of being caught. The desire for the next fix is so strong that they will rob their next door neighour or risk a town centre supermarket that is stuffed full of CCTV. And what do the law makers think is a suitable penalty? For them to be put on a drugs rehabilitation course rather then a term inside where the public would get respite from their antisocial and criminal behaviour. A ocal supermarket to where I used to live, a small Co-op lost £1,000 per week in meat alone and that was back in 2010. Who pays for that? You do.

Oh! Did I mention that the police authority get a financial kick back for every one that is referred to these courses? And the structure of the courses are such that the company providing them get bonuses if the offender completes the course. So they all complete the courses even if they don't.

It stinks!

The law I made by rational people who cannot comprehend that not all people are rational. As such there is no understanding by the law makers of a druggy's determination to get the next fix even if a rational person knew that there was a good chance of being caught. The desire for the next fix is so strong that they will rob their next door neighour or risk a town centre supermarket that is stuffed full of CCTV. And what do the law makers think is a suitable penalty? For them to be put on a drugs rehabilitation course rather then a term inside where the public would get respite from their antisocial and criminal behaviour. A ocal supermarket to where I used to live, a small Co-op lost £1,000 per week in meat alone and that was back in 2010. Who pays for that? You do.

Oh! Did I mention that the police authority get a financial kick back for every one that is referred to these courses? And the structure of the courses are such that the company providing them get bonuses if the offender completes the course. So they all complete the courses even if they don't.

It stinks!

Victory to the bleeding heart liberals!