New kitchen, whats the best value for money

Albert 888

Kitchen is under way, Im looking for the best value for money, without sacrificing quality. I will be doing the work myself apart from jointing the work top. Basically what units are good value and don't fall to bits. I had hygiena and wasn't too impressed with the units or doors. Recommendations on what to look at and what to avoid

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Kitchen is under way, Im looking for the best value for money, without sacrificing quality. I will be doing the work myself apart from jointing the work top. Basically what units are good value and don't fall to bits. I had hygiena and wasn't too impressed with the units or doors. Recommendations on what to look at and what to avoid

Howdens for quality and service plus carcases are ready assembled 18mm thick,had a bad experience with huws gray never again ,don,t do flat pack.

15mm flatpack carcases are usually ****

if someone else is doing your joint, take the time to get em level both ways and the corner square as there's nothing worse than trying to polish a ****.

Edited by Remimax

For the kitchen, I price compared Howdens and Wren and then bought from Wren. I was impressed when the guy stood in inside the drawers at Wren and there was some saving on price.

The work tops are square cut and can be butt jointed. I have just yesterday bought a utility fit out from them as the stuff is working well three years in.

I like the product but don't like endless negotiation on the price, having to check each piece in the order to make sure its needed. I had £300 worth of stuff left over from the kitchen which will now be used in the utility.

Been recommended Howdens before,do you need to be trade or have an account,does wren sell the same stuff as Howdens. Can i get it straight from the supplier or does Howdens actually make the units doors. Don't know anything about jointing the worktops but the joiner who did my last one was excellent.

All I'll say is to check the reviews online . It's rare for a full wren kitchen to turn up complete and takes weeks to follow.

Howdens tops are terrible as they have no balancer on the back to prevent bow and keep the moisture out.

I'll pm you to see if I can help ;)

Been recommended Howdens before,do you need to be trade or have an account,does wren sell the same stuff as Howdens. Can i get it straight from the supplier or does Howdens actually make the units doors. Don't know anything about jointing the worktops but the joiner who did my last one was excellent.

They are the same company ;) ones trade ones public

Both used to be MFI

A lot of Howdens stuff is atrocious. I've had worktops that change thickness half way along, carcases that have no glue on the dowels and fall apart, standard house doors that had the joints full of nails where they had tried to cramp an ill fitting joint together and pin it till the glue went off, etc, etc. Then you get the absurdly priced accessories, fascia panels etc.

All I'll say is to check the reviews online . It's rare for a full wren kitchen to turn up complete and takes weeks to follow.

Howdens tops are terrible as they have no balancer on the back to prevent

plenty of kitchen nightmares out there :)

Edited by Remimax

We bought an entire kitchen from Howdens a couple of years ago but they only had a brochure to choose from, we wanted a natural Oak type finish with knots and all as in a farmhouse style. When it finally arrived it was NOTHING like the picture in the brochure - different colour and no knots or lines as per real wood (even though it was real Oak veneer) - the salesman would not hear of it and said that we had got exactly what we ordered despite us still having the brochure. Not willing to be conned I started asking everybody in the showroom if they agreed with me or the shop and not one said the units were even similar to the brochure - after asking every person that walked in over the next 3/4 of an hour the salesman finally gave in and gave us a full refund. Would never even consider using them again.

a lot of manufacturers have gone about turn as 30 years back to 15mm carcases ,were the norm and 18mm were the new deal, ikea do good carcases but do not have recess void at the back so all pipework within carcases all of the shed suppliers standard carcases you can build what you want and have the doors fronts panels supplied to your requirements by another basically you can custom build your kitchen to your spec door style colour ete tops can be purchased from companies like ids at Nuneaton and delivered etc you can have what you want for less if you do your homework and find a locally recommended guy to fit as suppliers charge a chunk for fitting however the fitter does not get what has been charger more like about 30% to reiterate do your homework you will save £

I'm a chippy and fit quite a few, for me I think howdens have got quite expensive, always trying to beat last years October sales figures. IKEA are Ok but from memory there units don't have any pipe relief at the back, in other words no void at the rear of cupboards for services. One that comes high on my list is B and Q yes they are flat pack but go together easy, about 5 mins for a base unit. Also with 10 mm solid backs compared to howdens 5mm hardboard. Think B and Q also offer interest free. Worth a look.

I'm a chippy and fit quite a few, for me I think howdens have got quite expensive, always trying to beat last years October sales figures. IKEA are Ok but from memory there units don't have any pipe relief at the back, in other words no void at the rear of cupboards for services. One that comes high on my list is B and Q yes they are flat pack but go together easy, about 5 mins for a base unit. Also with 10 mm solid backs compared to howdens 5mm hardboard. Think B and Q also offer interest free. Worth a look.

We do 18mm backs . Wow it's a rigid carcasse once together

IKEA.

I put a spacer under the mounting rail for the wet-side units (to increase the depth of the void), and used low profile pipe clips to surface mount the pipework behind the units.

Units go together well, everything mounts solidly, and their design software works pretty well, imo.

And as noted above, buy worktop from elsewhere.

Edited by CaptainBeaky

Look at this way there are only so many manufacturers of chipboard so they all use them for their products.

I went with IKEA this time and fitted it myself as I have fitted all my kitchens. In my opinion all chipboard units are rubbish and solid wood is best.

Pick one that you like the sizes and design of and take your time fitting it. Seal any exposed chipboard.