Open Certificate wording:

SilentKill

OK so quick brief, I had an open ticket before which had stipulations for Fox and vermin related to certain rifles.

Now I have had a new grant (long story with a cock up from a certain Force)

Seems to have new wording.

Over any land I have permission to lawfully shoot. - I'm ok with this as it does not stipulate each bit of land.

Secondly it s relating to the quarry.

Certificate says "Vermin and any other lawful quarry"

does this mean that there are no stipulations on deer? what are the requirements?

Thanks

Vermin and AOLQ should be interpreted as you can shoot anything that is legal to shoot with the appropriate calibre. So you couldn't shoot deer with a .22rf for example even though it doesn't stipulate what you can shoot. In reality you might get away knocking over the odd one or two with AOLQ but if you got caught shooting a large number of deer your feo might start asking why you haven't got deer conditioned on your ticket. It all depends on their interpretation of AOLQ. I'd ask for deer to be stipulated on your license not because you should have to but because it will save you a headache in the future should you get a jobsworth feo.

I wouldn't have thought so. But you're relying on the subjective opinion of an feo even though it should be objective. Take .17hmr as a prime example. HO guidelines state it's suitable for fox however depending on your feo/police force some will grant it for fox and some won't. Similar story with .222 and .223. How come a .222 can knock over Scottish Roe but not English? My opinion would be yes AOLQ covers deer BUT you're likely to cause yourself a whole lot of hassle if you haven't got deer conditioned on your license.

If deer is lawful quarry for a specific calibre, it's lawful regardless of the FEO's interpretation IMO. The AOLQ thing was supposed to do way with having loads of different quarry on your ticket.

Edited by walshie

If deer is lawful quarry for a specific calibre, it's lawful regardless of the FEO's interpretation IMO. The AOLQ thing was supposed to do way with having loads of different quarry on your ticket.

Having spoken with others in my club who "had" deer on their ticket, this is the way they have been pushed now.

I wonder if any one has contacted BASC to see their standing on the wording.

This. The AOLQ condition is mandatory now, forces are no longer supposed to restrict quarry or list multiple quarry types on a certificate.

It strikes me as a bit of a backwards move to start requesting extra quarry types be added, as nobody can argue with the wording "ANY other LAWFUL quarry"

"ANY other LAWFUL quarry"

This ^^^^ deer goose rabbit pheasant crow..... anything, as long as you do it lawfully, i.e. Have permission from the landowner/ person who holds the sporting rights, and in the case of deer or boar you use the minimum required caliber/ammo and respect any seasons.

Having spoken with others in my club who "had" deer on their ticket, this is the way they have been pushed now.

I wonder if any one has contacted BASC to see their standing on the wording.

Why bother, as said it's intended to make certs less complicated, if it's legal for your calibre, it comes under AOLQ. It seems like a sensible move to me and gets away from having a .243 for example that was conditioned for deer, but you couldn't shoot a fox when out stalking Edited by kennett

Some of my calibres just list vermin and other lawful quarry and the larger calibres do specify deer and other lawful quarry. The 22RF and 17HMR Vermin and ground game.

I don't see the point in listing each and everything. Lawful is lawful at the end of the day, both on permission to shoot and species.

It really does make the point that the licenses should be handled by one authority as per driving licenses for those far more dangerous 'weapons'.

Edited by Walker570