Have I done a wrong-un

Gunnut

had a 2011 petrol astra no problems,sailed through the MOT every year, but has I do a bit of pigeon shooting once in a while, I decided to trade in the astra and a fair lump of cash and purchased a VW Tiguan 2.0SE tdi 140 auto 4 motion. after the 3 month warranty had expire my first engine warning light pinged up " Go too workshop " then a week later another " high pressure in fuel rail " then last week Particulator filter clean " so now the dash looks light the star ship enterprise what's going on!!. Took it to my local garage this morning and was told , they can do a particulater filter clean or you can run the car for 20-30 minutes at between 2000-2500 revs and that should do the trick and clear the filter,the reason he said was the modern diesel does dislikes short journeys has this clogs the filter and could cause a fire. has I only do small journeys would it be sensible to cut my losses and go back too petrol, or am I being paranoid in my old age.

Just go give it a blast down the M Way occasionally, but don't get caught :yes: My wifes car was also playing up and it came down to the fact she drives everywhere as if on greased ice and runs the engine at too low a revs. She now hangs onto third and fourth a bit longer and gets the revs up and the engine has cleaned itself out. Modern cars are not designed to dawdle about. Have a friend with a Tiguan and he has had no trouble, but he does drive it.

Of course the sensible thing has been suggested by ditchman ...can't fault him. They don't have all these fancy flickering lights for a start. :good::yes:

Edited by Walker570

Just go give it a blast down the M Way occasionally, but don't get caught :yes: My wifes car was also playing up and it came down to the fact she drives everywhere as if on greased ice and runs the engine at too low a revs. She now hangs onto third and fourth a bit longer and gets the revs up and the engine has cleaned itself out. Modern cars are not designed to dawdle about. Have a friend with a Tiguan and he has had no trouble, but he does drive it.

Of course the sensible thing has been suggested by ditchman ...can't fault him. They don't have all these fancy flickering lights for a start. :good::yes:

To the OP, that's your answer there! And your not wrong about landrover, if a light comes up its easy enough to remove the bulb for it :) won't ever come on then 😉

Do it in 5th you wont have to break the speed limit.

Does the particular filter light go out after starting? Apparently VW ecu's have an auto regeneration feature, where as when the filter is partially blocked - the ecu requests more fuel giving a hotter burn resulting in the filter being cleaned. As already said- holding third gear for longer achieving higher revs on every journey should slowly resolve the problem.

If I were you I would give a remapping company a call, it's amazing what they can achieve with standard manufacturers software. I've had vans and cars done before, just make sure it's an approved agent rather than a college dropout with a laptop 😐

If your in Essex I can recommend a couple of companies.

The garage advice is sound, and saving you a bill to be fair.

It's common on modern TDI's with DPF, a "self regeneration" run just gets the heat into the filter and burns the soot build up that's triggered the light.

Or, get the DPF removed and remap the ECU, more economy, more power no more DPF and short journey issues.

Did this on our BMW X3 2.0d, runs like a dream :-)

Yes we know your Landy doesn't have these issues.

Never a wrong move selling a vauxhall astra...a car for people that don't like cars imo.

The dmf ia probably due to previous owners being an old lady that potters to the shops and back. I dont know anyone that had dpf problems if they do a normal varied drive including regular dual carriageways trips etc every few weeks or so. Once you done the filter clean as suggested by garage you will probs find you never have to consciously do it again.

Tiguans are superb cars - my dad's had two and loved them! Never one thing wrong! Solid and reliable :)

He's not got a disco sport now and in the 4 months he's had it and less than 10000 miles it's been in for warranty work twice. Currently in there now having been in a LR dealership for two weeks! Saying that you do get nice courtesy cars haha!

All you have to do is go for a run on motorway .keep to speed limit doing 2000 revs in 4th .you don't need to break any limits or belt it down the motorway .for about 10-12mile should do it .all you are doing is get it hot enough to do a regen .no need to be a f1 driver to do it

Edited by Guest

standard issue with new diesels that had the DPF.....they dont like short trips....as it needs to get hot to burn the filter...also the reason why you had the oil light on as if it misses the regen it dumps the diesel into the oil tank...

if you only do short trips or not much mileage you are better off with petrol/...

i would be after a diesel car soon too :lol::good:

Edited by leeds chimp

We have a fair sized fleet and it's only usually the motors that are used around town or are driven at 56mph all day long that come up with a regen light.

As said usual protocol I'd to put it on the motorway in 4th to about 3000 revs. I have driven a good distance in some before the warning light has gone out