lead dripping bolt

hi all

does anyone have a tried and tested home made dripping bolts that they have made as I'm having no success drilling stainless steel, would appreciate any ones experience and advice on material choice as I will probably try mild steel or aluminium bolts next :/:/

thanks

I rarely bother with stainless bolts anymore as they are such a pain to drill. I just get standard M8x12 set screws, preferably un-plated but this isn't essential. Assuming they are hardened to some degree I anneal them by turning them cherry red with a blow torch then let them cool slowly before drilling. I haven't had a problem with them not lasting but if I did I could easily make a new set.

I've made more than one or two sets of drippers in my time :shaun:

you can drill brass and then burn it up so it tarnishes as long as you are careful with fluxing you will be ok if you want to drill stainless steel you need cobalt or better drill bits (expensive)

hi salting think I will try the brass bolts can you explain a little more about fluxing, this lead shot making is new to me.

ta

bj its my engineering mate that is doing the bolts for me I assume he is using the lathe and if all goes well another mate is an alli welder and will be making the pan for me both are shooters so have an interest in my little project

Tell your mate to use a pin chuck when drilling the smaller holes, & do it by hand, brass is easy.

That way you get a better feel the way the drill is cutting & you won't break the drill bit.

Also he needs to get the cutting speed right, he'll know what your talking about if he's got an engineering background.

bj its my engineering mate that is doing the bolts for me I assume he is using the lathe and if all goes well another mate is an alli welder and will be making the pan for me both are shooters so have an interest in my little project

If using tig you would be better having the pot made out of stainless because aluminium becomes very fragile when heated up to these temperatures. Google 'hot shortness'.

Aluminium also acts as a heat sink which isn't helpful for this, you want something that holds heat.

My pot is mild steel and is fine as long as you look after it between uses so it doesn't get rusty, and it is easy to mig weld.

Edited by sitsinhedges

snow white

the size you are looking for .026 which converts to 0.6604mm don't think there half sizes in that size of drill bits so it would be either .6mm or .7mm I'm guessing that .7mm hole will give around a 6 1/2 to 7 shot if I'm wrong appolagies maybe someone with shot making experience might put us straight

sitsinhedges

I'm shooting with my welder mate tomorrow so will have a discussion with him on our drive to the clay ground, people seem well informed on this forum will be leaning on others experience and knowledge to get the best possible results

thanks