lead dripping bolt

hi salting think I will try the brass bolts can you explain a little more about fluxing, this lead shot making is new to me.

ta

hi fluxing the same if you are soldering copper tube gets the dross out of your lead ideally melt and flux your lead into ingots first (cupcake tray) then you may have to add a little flux to your melting pot while dripping shot as the mix can generate some crud and block the drippers or slow the flow of lead I used to use normal plumbers solder flux you can use candle wax in the mix then the dross floats to the top stirring the lead from time to time helps as well

Edited by Saltings

hi all, had a go at making some lead ingots, got the lead to a molten stage scraped of any crud that was on the top put some dry saw dust in and a round candle to flux it let that burn away cleared any debri of the top then poured into cup cake tray the only problem I seen was the underside formed with crater like texture is this the norm or am I doing something wrong.. :hmm:

• 2 weeks later...

hi all

had some misfired cartridges I went to re prime and reload them stripped the contents of the shell had a spent case of the same cartridge put the components back in the re primed case same powder same over powder card and wad and same lead I then noticed that the lead was sitting a little low in the case tried to crimp but it inverted and had to strip again repeated the process and adding a filler card to raise the lead it crimped up fine, anyone know why this is?? do the cases stretch when fired??

ant