Can anyone help age this gun?

shootthepigeon

The style of the basic marks for view and proof (BV and NP) under a crown came in from 1904 (and lasted to 1954)

I believe that after 1925, the chamber length was also included ...... so my belief is between 1904 and 1925, since your marks show no chamber length.

I am not an expert, but that would be my interpretation.

Hello it looks like Birmingham nitro proof marks for 1925 the give away is the BV/BP LONDON have CP and a hand with a sword for the nitro proof mark also the diamond with the 12 over the C if the other mark is 1 1/8 (32 grams)that's the max load and I would have though its 2 1/2 chambers for if its 2 3/4 the load would be 1 1/4 (36 grams) the 13/1 is choke the 16? and the other mark I cant see I might be the chamber size ? the choking prob full(tight) in the left and 1/4 or cyl in the right hope this helps all the best

Hello it looks like Birmingham nitro proof marks for 1925 the give away is the BV/BP LONDON have CP and a hand with a sword for the nitro proof mark also the diamond with the 12 over the C if the other mark is 1 1/8 (32 grams)that's the max load and I would have though its 2 1/2 chambers for if its 2 3/4 the load would be 1 1/4 (36 grams) the 13/1 is choke the 16? and the other mark I cant see I might be the chamber size ? the choking prob full(tight) in the left and 1/4 or cyl in the right hope this helps all the best

The 13/1 refers to the original bore size at proof! ie .719.

Would this be towards the end of using Damascus?

Steel became available towards the end of the 19th century. Damascus and steel were both used for quite a long period, with steel gradually replacing Damascus. The answer to your question is a qualified 'yes', in that Damascus 'lingered' for some time, but the numbers made in steel greatly increased in the years before WW1, with Damascus taking a smaller market share.

There is a good site at http://www.damascus-barrels.com/index.html

Definitely post 1904 but pre 1924 . I would say that from the style of the stamps it was pre WW 1.

To answers Johnfromuk' s question ,The larger and more prestige makers mover away from damascus sa soon as possible with the introduction of Whitworth's fluid pressed steel a and Jessops steel . Others including Webley and Scott used damascus on cheaper guns and to customer request into the 20's . Midland continued to use damascus imported from Belgium up until the outbreak of WW2 in1939.

There was still a lot of damascus barrel tube around in the Birmingham trade after this and some were used in the early days of sleeving when tubes were in short supply not to mention that they were cheaper !

Damascus barrels were expensive and very labour intensive to produce - they also required considerable skill to manufacture. The introduction of better quality steel and the mechanics to form it were the downfall of Damascus (pattern welded) tubes. Depending on the quality, what you should have is a thing of beauty that deserves constant care - guns wearing such tubes are still relatively easy to find but when they're gone they're gone for good.

Edited by bruno22rf

Thanks for all the info, this gun will be looked after and is definitely not going anywhere, it was a friends fathers and sat in a loft for as long as I can remember before I put it on ticket. I have been contemplating getting the barrels re browned, but I don't want them to look brand new, if you know what I mean I would prefer a sympathetic restoration if that's possible.