Golden plover.

JDog

Fenboy very kindly brought these little beauties for me when he came to shoot on Tuesday. I showed them to some beaters and pickers up but nobody could identify them.

They will be dressed this afternoon and cooked this evening and I know they will be delicious.

DSC07530_zpsz86fl5t0.jpg

I have shot a fair few goldies in the past and can confirm that they make excellent eating. Have even successfully used the old trick if they are flying high, of firing a shot and they dive down into range.

Enjoy them JDog.

OB

Whilst snipe shooting on Bodmin a few years ago, our guide gave us an hour or two decoying 'Goldies'. He had a pocketful of two dimensional cut-out plover shapes with a wooden spike cut into the pattern & painted like Golden plovers(some very faded with age). He knew they liked to feed & rest up on that part of the moor.It worked quite well & we soon had 3 or 4 in the bag;We used to limit ourselves to a brace each per trip & although there are good numbers of them ,I think it's their beauty that makes you feel bad about murdering too many?I have one I 'stuffed' in my man shed as a reminder. We also used the trick of firing off a shot at out of range flocks of goldies which sometimes made them dive earthwards.