Using cold cartridges - Does it matter?

OJW

some years ago I left a slab of cartridges in my motor under cover on a Sunday after clay busting as going out on Tuesday evening doing the same, Monday roasting hot Tuesday even hotter Tuesday evening clay busting really soar shoulder never did this again the pain was that much on a 75 bird shoot now just left in the house at ambient temperature also had some cartridges with frost on the ground that turned into party poppers after bought at the shoot so ambient temperatures must be the way forward for fast burning clay busting powders

some years ago I left a slab of cartridges in my motor under cover on a Sunday after clay busting as going out on Tuesday evening doing the same, Monday roasting hot Tuesday even hotter Tuesday evening clay busting really soar shoulder

Prime example of heat changing the powder alchemy and making it a lot faster for the load...hence the increase in pressure and speed that caused the kick back and sore shoulder...

For the powder used in steel cartridges very cold temperatures will make a big difference in their performance. a few years ago I left a box over night in -10 C and the next morning I never killed a bird outright and most just flew off with a sore backside. I changed to a second box that had been indoors over night and killed 6 wigeon and teal for the next 8 shots. This was not the first time I have had problems with steel shells and very low temperatures.

Edited by anser2

Fiochi developed there powders to work in cold temperatures. If your getting unburnt powder in the barrels it's got to affect the performance.

They must have got it wrong in the 'F' Blacks then. A shooting pal who was using them last Sunday commented on how dirty his barrels were, he admitted that he had left them in the car boot overnight and had stored them in his garage for a couple of months. No trouble with my Hull cartridges, stored inside and certainly the night before shooting.