viht 140 versus varget for 308 win with 150gr sierra gamekings

Just had a play with some new reloads using viht 140, My sweet load with varget for 150 gr gamekings is 46grs which gave me an average fps of 2733. Early results are that viht 140's sweet spot is at 46.5grs producing an average 2745 fps. Interestingly all five loads from 44.5grs upward of viht were sub 1 inch. I have read on other forums that others have struggled to match vargets velocity but this seems not to be the case. No sign of pressure and seems softer in the recoil dept.

All barrels are different and you usually run out of physical space in the case on a 308 with either powder before you run into pressure problems with 150's. Heavier bullets seem to favour the Varget more. Varget is a very weird powder I find (in a good way), its burn characteristics seem to almost blend to the applied bullet weights and its performance is why it is such a go-to powder for so many cartridges. Thats also why it sells out first every time in the last ten years when we have had shortages and why I just cant be bothered to rely on it. I use 47gr of N140 with a 150 PROHUNTER whose flat base leaves a little more free space when loaded to SAAMI spec 2.810" C.O.L. Varget with 168's and 175's is just superb but I just cant face changes all the time. Expensive too.

Availability was my problem too, nice to have several options and the great thing about both accurate loads in the two powders the zero is just about the same. I have half a tub of varget left and will keep that for the 223.

There is also the Swiss RS50 powder which they sell at Bisley and has found popularity with target shooters. It is so like Vhit140 in appearance and performance that many have speculated that it is really Vhit 140. When it was first sold in this country it was sold as TR140.

www.propellants.co.uk

it is said that because the importer goes and gets it himself there will never be a supply problem

I use about 44g of N140Vhit for my 308 using 150 GKs or 155 MKs and it prints .3 moa with that load for both bullets. Not getting a lot of velocity. At 56 F, I tested those loads at 2650fps from my 1/11 24 inch barrel. It is temp sensitive powder though and that velocity figure picks up with temp rise. I also use it with 190 SMKs and it prints unbelievably tight groups and stays just above 2500 fps, so a good 1000 yd round for paper punching.

One thing mentioned earlier about Varget is that it is a more stable powder, which it seems to be. The problem with Vhit, is you'll reach a point where any increase in charge wont give you any more speed with a 150gr but it will be prone to large pressure spikes, especially as temperatures pick up. That's why I limit my loads to what I consider safe for my rifle at 75 F.

That aside, because it's so clean burning, and half the cost of Varget plus readily available, it's my propellant of choice.

Edited by Savhmr

I use about 44g of N140Vhit for my 308 using 150 GKs or 155 MKs and it prints .3 moa with that load for both bullets. Not getting a lot of velocity. At 56 F, I tested those loads at 2650fps from my 1/11 24 inch barrel. It is temp sensitive powder though and that velocity figure picks up with temp rise. I also use it with 190 SMKs and it prints unbelievably tight groups and stays just above 2500 fps, so a good 1000 yd round for paper punching.

One thing mentioned earlier about Varget is that it is a more stable powder, which it seems to be. The problem with Vhit, is you'll reach a point where any increase in charge wont give you any more speed with a 150gr but it will be prone to large pressure spikes, especially as temperatures pick up. That's why I limit my loads to what I consider safe for my rifle at 75 F.

That aside, because it's so clean burning, and half the cost of Varget plus readily available, it's my propellant of choice.

interesting, when I tested my first batch of reloads the air temp was around 2 to 4 degrees C so will have to see what happens as the temp increases. I use viht 160 for my 243 reloads and must say I have tested the loads in the frost and on hot summer days and not noticed a loss in accuracy or pressure signs.

You wont necessarily see pressure signs if the load isn't high or compressed but I have found with 140, that it definitely varies in MV with temperature. The issue with the N140 (and other Vhit single base powders) is their pressure to velocity spikes where pressure can rise comparatively more than some other powders for similar velocity gains.

You wont necessarily see pressure signs if the load isn't high or compressed but I have found with 140, that it definitely varies in MV with temperature. The issue with the N140 (and other Vhit single base powders) is their pressure to velocity spikes where pressure can rise comparatively more than some other powders for similar velocity gains.

Finding actual facts without the necessary equipment for in chamber pressure monitoring is difficult and I suppose 'suck it an see' is the only way for most homeloaders. If you search viht 140 and temperature on the net you will find many conflicting views, many finding viht being more temp tolerant than Varget.

I can only base my findings on what the chrono or cases tell me. I've measured MV in temperatures ranging from 5 degrees Centigrade through to 22 degrees, using the same loads. Admittedly, the powder batches were different, so that in itself could (and often does) affect MV, but as I'm consistently measuring lower velocities in colder weather, I'm happy to conclude that it is temperature sensitive propellant. On the pressure front, I rarely load up to max recommended, even though N140 is reputedly more tolerant than some reloading data suggests. I've played safe, but remember an episode from last year when with only 44.2g N140 behind some 150 SMKs shooting in 26 or 27 degree heat, I was getting flattened primers, hard recoil and one or two stiffish bolt lifts. The ammunition was left out on my range mat, so had got a little too warm,....lesson learnt!

You can only try it yourself, and work up loads that you are happy with. If there was a more reliable source of Varget, and supplies were less intermittent, I'd be using that for everything, but as it is, N140 I've found to be a great general purpose do-it-all propellant for the .308 and for my heavier .223 loads. It doesn't generate the velocities of the double base powders, but it doesn't burn the barrels out as fast either or foul them up as quick.

Edited by Savhmr

• 2 weeks later...

For many ,many years I loaded 45 grains of vit 140 behind a 150 grain bullet . It never let me down and would shoot MOA at 100 yards . This load was so good that I didn't need to bother with any other combination . The book load was 47 and a half grains of vit 140 . I always down loaded from the book load as they always seemed to be on the high end of the spectrum and 45 grains is easier to weigh on my beam scales than 47 and a half .

Harnser

Agreed that 45 grains is an excellent load behind the SGK 150's Harnser. I've found that 44 grains offers just as accurate a load at 100 yds in my rifle, so load to the lower end now to try and extend barrel life a bit, and for Munty bashing, drop it again to 43.1 grains (heavy and slow works for them). Oddly enough, a load I developed for 190's (for LR target shooting) had the same POI at 100 yds as my 155 load (fortunately for me!).