It Can Happen to us Too.

pigeon controller

I set out on Friday at approx 11.00 to look for shooting for Saturday. I found three suitable farms with about one hundred and fifty plus birds feeding hard on the rape. Decided to leave those for DB and Myself on Saturday and went to look for some shooting for myself in the afternoon. I had an idea of a small field of rape that we do not shoot normally due to its proximity to an old hall and ancient church. This was not a problem due to the rare northeastely wind which would take the sound away. As I drove up to the field my heart sank as I could see the orange gas canister and gas gun in the centre of the field but as I glassed the field I could see about eighty birds down feeding hard and I counted a further twenty joined in the same amount of minutes from three flightlines. So fill your boots , text to the farmer, OK. I walked the birds off the field so they should return into the wind and turned the gas gun off. The main flightline is along an old field boundry marked by a line of mature trees , so I set up on the last but one so the they could use the end one as a sitty tree. Ten on spikes and two on the magnet, all set up for 12.45 and waiting, 1.45 and one had returned then they started to show interest as a few skirted the other flightline. At that point the church bells started and nothing came near the whole time they were practicing which was at least an hour. The previous week I was on another farm and a wedding in the village sent me birds when the bells started . I packed up at 15.30 and had shot three birds which Bunny Blaster collected off me for his decoys on Saturday.

Saturday saw me pick up DB in the bright frosty sunshine and we blasted down the motorway to the rape we had seen last week. When we arrived the fields had a fair number down feeding and as we watched it the fog rolled in and covered the lot to the point we could not see more than fifty yards. We decided to drive up cross country and try and find some birds on the fields I had seen the day before but we had fog all the way. We eventually found some on one of the fields I had seen the day before as the fog started to lift and the wind strengthen. It was now 11.30 and we had a few come to look at the pattern but not decoy just flared off, we moved the magnet close and put the decoys further out on spikes along with further birds shot and they started to be confident in the decoys. We finished shooting at 15.45 and picked up forty seven birds which were hard won.

a46f18a7-4706-43b0-9942-39fb00380677_zps