Central heating radiator

steve_b_wales

One of my radiators is making a 'clicking' noise. It starts off with a slow 'click' click' click', then a few seconds of faster ones, only to be repeated time and time again. I've tried bleeding it to no avail. I have also tried to pinpoint the exact location on the radiator where the clicking comes from, but find this hard to locate. Is there anything else I can do to alleviate this problem?

It sounds like expansion noise - pipe or radiator moving against another surface - does it happen as the radiator comes on,

I think it is expansion noise. It starts when the heating is switched on, but even when the radiator is 'hot', the noise continues. It's not loud, just bloody annoying, annoying.

Is it copper or plastic pipe?

If its plastic try pushing it back into the wall a bit.

Sounds a bit like a pipe rubbing on a joist or batten

Copper pipes going into the rad'.

As already said could be a copper pipe in a tight drilled hole in floorboard or joist, expanding and contracting. Other possibility could be a faulty thermostatic valve.

Blackpowder

The sound is coming from the middle part of the radiator.

Have you changed the flooring in this or an adjoining room?

Flooring hasn't been changed for years. The sound started to appear a few months ago.

Just sounds like expansion. This usually happens with copper on wood if they are not properly clipped down.

If you're sure its coming from the rad, check where it is mounted onto the brackets, does it have the white plastic inserts to stop metal on metal contact. If it doesn't, either source them or put something there to separate the rad metal from the bracket metal.

As has been said, if the clicking noise is coming from the middle of the rad and is fairly recent, then it does sound like a breakdown of the plastic clip on the rad bracket and is down to expansion and contraction. If fitted with a TRV this would open and shut under normal operation and the rad would therefore cool down and heat up accordingly.

Sometimes noise can be emitted from a non bi-directional TRV if this has been fitted on the return instead of the flow, but this would emit noise from day one so this would appear not an issue in this case.

Something (i.e. Plastic) put between the rad bracket and rad hook (the bit welded on the back of the rad) should cure the problem.

Hope this helps.

OB