tide flight

m greeny

Conditions were bright sunshine not a breath of wind and a small tide but its my last day off so went any way. I got to my spot just before the tide started to push just before day break and i could here the pinks getting restless before finally lifting and going the opposite direction apart from a pair that came over way to high. The tide was slowly filling the estuary but as it was calm all the duck were just rafting up in the middle and just drifting with the tide. It was right on high water before i got a chance when a group of a dozen or so wigeon came past and i swung through the lead bird and to my suprise a pair dropped to my single shot. The dog after being sent made short work of fetching them back. It was nearly an hour before i got another shot and it was a drake pintail that came just close enough to be brought down and again the dog was sent to bring me my prize. The banks were now starting to show and all the duck that were now starting to come back were heading straight for them so packed up and made the short journey home a happy bunny.

Nice way for you to finish off another season ( m greeny ) , two Widgeon and a drake Pintail is not to be sneezed at in the calm weather you have been having , there isn't much we can do about the weather conditions but in a way that's what make fowling a constant challenge.

This week my splashes have been frozen over, so I have flighted the river a couple of times and I got a couple of Mallard out of the fleet dyke which is normally the last dyke to freeze as there is always a lot of movement on the water when the pump is switched on by the float switch at this time of the year .

I have still got three or four flights left if all goes well , beaters day Saturday on one place I go and Monday is our last full day shoot with Tuesday having a little walk round with a duck flight to finish the season off .