Thimbleby

nnorman32

We go for the saturday sporttrap,its ok, i hear plenty moaning the sporting layout, empty traps, lad on his own so cant get to refill em, 105 clays is too tight for no bird allowance and for me, if i have an issue and and have clays left a book isnt going to cut it, i paid with money and would expect to leave with money.

They have a number of regional fixtures this year i hope they carry them off as its easy to get to.

It's quite local to me, wouldn't say I go regularly perhaps half a dozen times a year maybe a bot more depending what days off I get. It was rare that the 10 clays on a hundred you got were enough for no birds and broken clays. Now that it's been put down to 5 it's a joke across 12 or more stands, I've had lots on some busy days were columns of the carousel are empty when they get low so your never sure if it's coming or not. To be fair when told they have put them on my card but I'm not going to walk back around the ground so end up on the sportrap shooting them off. Last Tuesday when I went I only had six or seven no birds so wasn't to bad. The claymate is good for shooting alone as I did.

The work and money being spent on the ground is really starting to show, by end of spring in full growth it should all look very nice.

Edited by figgy

Sound like I need to give this place a try is it ok in a wheelchair are the paths tarmac

The paths are stone, there is a bit of mud but its mainly fairly flat, if you have an offroad style then you will be sound, lots of birds are high so good mobility will help.

I need to get much much more clay practice in this closed season

I work shifts so weekends are not great shooting days for me, I know thimbleby is open mid week so it's ideal for me

However I mostly shoot alone, is there a delay on the traps?

Marne barracks at Catterick is open on weds day afternoons. and is a good ground to shoot :good: same mileage or less . ill button for you I am there most days

Edited by coatesy75

• 2 weeks later...

They have added a very good rabbit stand recently and grouse butts, though the grouse have to be booked in advance now as it has to be manned due to potential safety of livestock in the field behind I think. They are investing more money in it now and there are plans for a new clubhouse at some point.

It's in a beautiful setting with some good high driven targets so I really like it. You can't beat their Tuesday deal.

If they had a bit more manpower there it could be great.

I used to help out there on a Tuesday quite recently and it was very quiet so I can see why it's a struggle for them.

I seem to remember it was 7 free on a hundred for no birds and yes quite a few people had issues with this. On the other hand, every time someone goes round without problem they are getting them free.

As always, it's hard to get the balance right as you'd be surprised how many people try to play the system and get a load of free clays. You only get to see it when you are behind the counter.

The majority are honest but there's always a few regulars try it on.

That's without considering all the members who load up with discounted clays for their mates to use instead of them paying full price on their own card. Must be difficult whatever you do.