Over excited when other dogs retrieve

Rascal

Hello,

I have a 2 year old lab dog, and training has been progressing well with the basics. His steadiness is good when on our own almost text book. I can put him a sit, walk around a field and put several dummies out, even quite close to him with not a single concern that he will run in. I will walk back to him and heel him away for some memories. Then send him for the memories one at a time. His memory isn't as good as I would like as he tends to remember the first 2 but needs some handling on the 3rd/4th. (But I am happy to work on that).

The main problem I can't crack is steadiness when other dogs are retrieving, he starts to boil over with excitement. He will mark every dummy down, waiting to be sent. If other dogs are sent for the retrieves he will start fidgeting and squeaking, in a very short time it gets louder and his legs will start stamping his front legs while still in a sit (as if he is saying let me go and get it). Now if left for too long in this state say more that 30 seconds he will then boil over and try and if left for any longer he will almost certainly run in. When he has run in he will normally stop if shouted at or stop whistle blown, (as long as he is still some distance from the mark). He doesn't try to steal the retrieve from another dog, just interested in the dummies down. However he does get even more over excited when the other dog can't find the retrieve and he believes he knows were it is.

I've tried walking him away from the line and distracting him and it works a little bit, but still stays focused on the prize, and gets worked up again in seconds.

So any ideas welcome...

I would take him to some training sessions and not train him. Just watch a few dogs then go home. The important thing is to do exactly as you would when you go training for real so the dog doesn't pre-empt the situation. That way the dog will not assume that he is going to work every time.

Thanks both for your good advice. Bigbird, yes I do pick some, myself sometimes all of them and he stays calm and not bothered at all, maybe I don't look at all excited when I pick them :) . It appears to be just seeing other dogs pick. I have arranged to get him to sit a watch another dog retrieve and then will get him sitting watch other classes. Let's see if this will help calm him down.

Thanks again ...

Also (and you have to be CONSISTENT with this) if he makes a noise or gets agitated take him for a little walk away, just a few yards and when he's calm again go back. Don't forget it's not only frustrating to you, his behaviour is borne of his own frustration and often the combination of being given a break from the stimulus and the little bit of physical movement involved just helps to calm the situation down.

Edited by bigbird

Good points bigbird, I will make sure I double my efforts to be consistent, I realise that I may have left it a bit too long in the past to walk him away allowing him his adrenalin level to go through the roof. He is normally easy distracted with food but in this situation he is not in the bit interested, just focused on the retrieve. I will continue with the training suggested because he is worth the effort. In all other area's he show good promise.

Thanks again