Legal Protection

winnie&bezza

Haven't had it in the last 20 odd years.

Had it before and an idiot jumped the lights and hit my car. One year later, the Solicitor was still chasing the third party - even though he was with the same company as me - Liverpool Victoria - who disowned him when they found out he was ferrying a doctor around - almost full time, but wasn't insured for business use. The Solicitor told me that they had a crafty way of establishing his address. They were going to send him a recorded delivery letter and once he signed for it - they had him. We exchanged a few pleasantries - he objected to being called an amateur - never heard anything more.

I think it's worthwhile having legal protection on one policy whether it be car, house etc.

They cover you for more than car issues - employment etc.

Have to agree with this,

I had a legal issue and my home insurance covered me up to £50k of costs

My legal bill came in at £45k, I won so claimed it off them anyway but makes you think

:shaun:

After a minor bump years ago,for which i had witnesses. The other company wouldn't budge. I said fine we'll take it to court. I was then told it wasn't my decision. And unless they had a very good chance of winning they wouldn't even bother starting the process. my so called legal cover buckled at the first hurdle. Waste of space, just like most lawyers... I get it, so called "free" now with my pension from my old employer. Still don't think it's worth **** though....

Years ago it used to included already, now it appears to be just one of the multiple add on's to up your policy.What i find is the biggest insurance rip off is they wont let you over value your car(common sense) but lets say you value a car at book price say 10k.But if you have your car written off and they offer you 5k, why cant we go back and say OK then lets have a refund on the policy as you insured me for 10k.

Insurance is a bloody robbery & nothing else.

Edited by Davyo

After a minor bump years ago,for which i had witnesses. The other company wouldn't budge. I said fine we'll take it to court. I was then told it wasn't my decision. And unless they had a very good chance of winning they wouldn't even bother starting the process. my so called legal cover buckled at the first hurdle. Waste of space, just like most lawyers... I get it, so called "free" now with my pension from my old employer. Still don't think it's worth **** though....

Correct, this is one of those scandals that will in time be exposed and the insurance companies will be made to pay us all back. In effect the so called legal insurance experts are their own judge and jury and the only way you can face them up is by paying your own way through any dispute and then suing them if you succeed. Even then your case against them is not rock solid as judges are likely to side with them saying just because you won it doesn't mean they were wrong not to accept your case ! It's the same old story of the elite drip stealing our money.

Have to agree with this,

I had a legal issue and my home insurance covered me up to £50k of costs

My legal bill came in at £45k, I won so claimed it off them anyway but makes you think

Had the insurers formally accepted to pick up the bill ?

Edited by Hamster

Years ago it used to included already, now it appears to be just one of the multiple add on's to up your policy.What i find is the biggest insurance rip off is they wont let you over value your car(common sense) but lets say you value a car at book price say 10k.But if you have your car written off and they offer you 5k, why cant we go back and say OK then lets have a refund on the policy as you insured me for 10k.

Insurance is a bloody robbery & nothing else.

You can but it's alot more expensive than "market value" many classics are insured to and agreed payout value but there is a factoring term that if you insure £20k of value buts really £30k you can't claim £20k you can only 2/3rds of £20k as you under insured. You can insure what ever like as long as someone will take the risk and offer you a premium

This is another thing that really bugs me years ago there was only two types of insurance fully comp or third party simple no problem you just say one or the other mind you I do normally add the NC protection and the recovery the problem is if you go on the motorway you would be mad not to have recovery I do not think they like it if you phone up a mate to give you a quick tow off the motorway :whistling:

Edited by four-wheel-drive

Had the insurers formally accepted to pick up the bill ?

Yup.....

I had been told by another solicitors that I had gone to about legal aid to investigate whether I had any other way of paying, Ie: car insurance/Union/house insurance and if none would pay then they could take it on legal aid.

Told the home insurance people everything and they passed me onto the solicitors they used.

They asked me to send the details to them, they agreed I had a case and took it on,

We won in the end,

Bare in mind that in the very beginning I had tried a no win no fee mob who told me I had no case and they weren't interested.

Yup.....

I had been told by another solicitors that I had gone to about legal aid to investigate whether I had any other way of paying, Ie: car insurance/Union/house insurance and if none would pay then they could take it on legal aid.

Told the home insurance people everything and they passed me onto the solicitors they used.

They asked me to send the details to them, they agreed I had a case and took it on,

We won in the end,

Bare in mind that in the very beginning I had tried a no win no fee mob who told me I had no case and they weren't interested.

:) Glad you won, hate it when people suffer others greed.

I would always take it. Never actually used it BUT did threaten to use Direct Lines legal cover to sue Direct Line, this was after they agreed to a 50-50 claim where surprise surprise the other party was also insured by them! Told them as they had accepted a 50-50 in what was clearly the 3rd parties fault (had admitted liability at the scene then retracted it later). They argued that it was 50-50 so I told them to get their legal policy to contact me so I could take legal action against them as I was losing my NCD. After a few calls and letters they renege and I was awarded with a letter stating I was not at fault, did not need to declare it as a "fault claim" and my NCD was unaffected ;-)

In that case my legal cover was worth it for me!

Edited by m3vert