Seats for the hide

Hur5ty

Try your local Indian restaurant, they often have mango chutney tubs which are ideal. We use them on our duck shoot, they store your nets and some decoys and not to heavy, most are blue but did get a green one last time.

I doubt it makes a difference what colour they are.

That's interesting as earlier today I've been given a 25l barral with a foam lid that's been cut to fit.

It also came with a large army bag with straps.

I've just packed it with nets and other bits and it's still lighter than my old chair.

Trying it in the morning so hopefully it works!

Thanks for all the responses!

I also use a 25lt plastic drum which has the top cut out of. It will carry 2 nets, 3 sticks, 6 shells, 6 half bodies, 4 full bodies and the old faithful string operated flapper. This is enough for a start. I turn the barrel upside down and it makes me a good seat. A problem with it and it can be quite bad is that it can be difficult if the ground is really uneven or rooty and the worse problem is that when it gets hot in the summer the sidewall can collapse and shoot me off over the back. I weigh about 80kg / 13st so be careful. Most of the time it's OK.

I also use a 25lt plastic drum which has the top cut out of. It will carry 2 nets, 3 sticks, 6 shells, 6 half bodies, 4 full bodies and the old faithful string operated flapper. This is enough for a start. I turn the barrel upside down and it makes me a good seat. A problem with it and it can be quite bad is that it can be difficult if the ground is really uneven or rooty and the worse problem is that when it gets hot in the summer the sidewall can collapse and shoot me off over the back. I weigh about 80kg / 13st so be careful. Most of the time it's OK.

Made a lid for mine from a piece of 12 mm ply cut to suit on the top after cutting the barrel down to the height I wanted.

Then a little glassfibre matting applied over the top and down the barrel sides 50mm all round, trimmed up when hard and one perfect fit lid that you can pad up.

As for uneven ground 3 or 4 wooden wedges do the trick for me.

Not that I use it now as was going to mount it on an electric golf trolley but never got round to it .

Its my shed seat now .

post-402-0-82961400-1392745104_thumb.jpg
Edited by deny essex

Can't get on with the barrels as they are not stable on sloping field sides. Ones with legs tend to sink when its soft. I use one of the swiveling tripods with modified feet and leg extensions for extra height. Its about on its last legs ( :lol: ) so I will need to replace it some time soon.

An empty 25 litre plastic oil drum with a foam top, fits in the bergan and the decoys fit inside it for carriage.

I used a 50L barrel (cheap off fleabay) which is a snug fit (handles removed) in to an old UK shoot warehouse decoy bag. High enough so it's easy to get in position for a shot and easy to carry.

Loadsaroom!

Got one of those jack Pyke purpose made ones. Cost about 20 quid. Great bit of kit. Can fit 3 stealth nets and a flask of coffee on it with decoys and carts in a rucksack. I carry the poles and gun in seperate slips and use tesco bags for life to carry any birds.

List and easy to carry .

Of I ahoot with a mate and he brings his van we take a wheelbarrow and whatever kit we fancy as weight is no longer an issue.

Edited by GingerCat

Made a lid for mine from a piece of 12 mm ply cut to suit on the top after cutting the barrel down to the height I wanted.

Then a little glassfibre matting applied over the top and down the barrel sides 50mm all round, trimmed up when hard and one perfect fit lid that you can pad up.

As for uneven ground 3 or 4 wooden wedges do the trick for me.

Not that I use it now as was going to mount it on an electric golf trolley but never got round to it .

Its my shed seat now .

Golf trolley, a few years back i had a manual golf trolley, loaded with most of my gear, the big problem with it was when the ground was frozen rock hard it worked fine but when the ground was muddy the wheels became that clogged with mud you needed a 4x4 to pull it, how do you get on with your electric trolley and do you have the same mud problem? Or does it just power through the mud.

Golf trolley, a few years back i had a manual golf trolley, loaded with most of my gear, the big problem with it was when the ground was frozen rock hard it worked fine but when the ground was muddy the wheels became that clogged with mud you needed a 4x4 to pull it, how do you get on with your electric trolley and do you have the same mud problem? Or does it just power through the mud.

never got round to finishing it , was going to fit "hedgehog" grips on the wheels to cut down on slipping or possibly 12 inch wheel barrow wheels.

That's interesting as earlier today I've been given a 25l barral with a foam lid that's been cut to fit.

It also came with a large army bag with straps.

I've just packed it with nets and other bits and it's still lighter than my old chair.

Trying it in the morning so hopefully it works!

Thanks for all the responses!

This works a treat for me! I used it on Saturday :)